What was your first ever wrestling video ?

wwffan2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im a bit late to the party compared to you guys (due to being younger i asume). mine was no way out 2000 for my birthday, wasnt sure how long it took for ppvs to make it to vhs at that point, but my mum found it in forbidden planet for me; was so excited, can remember opening it now.

although before i was properly hooked, when i was a toddler, i had a best of mania vhs which i wore out watching at my granparents, fave thing on that was warrior/macho man with the reunion at the end (sheds a tear)

Capital Carnage and King Of The Ring 2000 double set from Virgin Megastore for my 10th birthday in 2000. I remember being incredibly apprehensive about owning an event that was two years old because when I first got into wrestling that year my mindset was that old wrestling was automatically bad and new wrestling was good. A month later someone bought me D-Generation X : In Your House and I planned on never watching it purely because of the fact that it has the yellow and blue logo on it so it must be really old and hence really shit. Seems absurd now I know but over the next year as I bought more and more videos I sort of went more and more back in time and got into them.

That was my favourite time being a wrestling fan. Not having an internet connection and gradually revealing to myself the WWE's history through buying a tape every weekend. If I got WrestleMania 13 I'd see the Royal Rumble from that year on the build up packages. Then I'd get the Royal Rumble and wonder what happened in between. It was like putting an incredibly expensive jigsaw together.

King Of The Ring never got much repeat viewings but Capital Carnage became a staple for a good while. I can see that it's complete trash now but it had a tremendous atmosphere and it was full of characters I had never had much exposure to before. I thought I was the man for owning it because Jacqueline got her norks out on Tim White's shoulders. A real convorsation piece in the school yard.

First I saw was WrestlMania III, my auntie put it on when we visited while my cousins where actually out beforehand. Also letting me play with their hasbro's and ring, only move I knew to call was the clothesline over the top. And then I was calling it a 360, thanks Gorilla!

First I bought was Grudges, Grunts & Gripes (something like that!), it had some half decent matches on there. Savage v Shango, HBK v Backlund, the main match was Undertaker v Ric Flair. The tapes gimmick was Bobby Heenan following Sean Mooney round on his honeymoon! Or am I thinking of another tape that that was on?

SummerSlam 89 for me. Still one of my favourite events. The Demolition and Hacksaw Duggan vs Andre and The Twin Towers match was memorable as fuck as a child. A load of big people sitting on each other. The Warrior vs Rick Rude match was brilliant as well, and it was probably the night they realised how big Warrior would become. He was mental over in this match. And the main event was everything that is good about WWF/WWE. Hogan and Beefcake vs Zeus and Savage with Liz and Sherri getting involved. Still have my copy. I've gotten rid of a lot of WWF videos but I cant part with that one.

It's a brilliant event, one of the best Summerslams ever, and unlike the following years event which i adored when i was little, it still holds up today. Every match had some value, and everything was given about the right amount of time so that nothing outstayed it's welcome and gave the event a good flow for rewatching from start to finish.

The only blip was Roosters injury, as that would surely have went on to be a nice little match also, but that's just one of these things that couldn't be helped.

My first one was Wrestlemania 6. It was also the first WWF show i ever watched. Was a bit pissed at the clipping, but it was a great event also.

• Paid Members
The Best of Hulkamania.

It had the Bossman cage match with the superplex, which was repeated move for move on SNME, albeit with minor differences like a juice-job and a Zeus run in, and consequently exposed the business to a young me.

It kinda exposed it to me, but then I remember that Bossman was a bit dumb and Slick was arrogant, so they'd try stuff even though it hadn't worked before. Hogan was smart enough to know the same counter would work again.

I actually have no idea... it would be WM7 or earlier and would be a full WWF event.

Was probably WM7 as it was the latest show at the time I got the wrestling bug.

Archived