What was your first ever wrestling video ?

wwffan2

• Paid Members
1998.jpg

This. I got it just before Break Down In Your House in September 98'. Immediately became a huge Austin fan even though from what I can remember it wasn't a great event.

This was the first wrestling video I bought after I got back into wrestling in 1999. I had three years of catching up to do.

Not having watching wrestling for years, I was just as confused seeing HHH in the main event as I was seeing Savio Vega. So the disappointment was lost on me

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember having any tapes before Wrestlemania VII, so I believe it was that. I also had WWF Funniest Moments at around the same time, which is about as humorous as watching paint dry. Even at ten years old, I was embarrassed to have that in my collection. If you haven't seen it: it opens with two Gobbledy Gooker skits and has a 20-minute Bushwhackers vs Rhythm and Blues match.

• Paid Members

Mine was "Starrcade '89 - Future Shock" with the 2 round robin tournaments:

Ric Flair

Lex Luger

Sting

Great Muta

Road Warriors

Steiners

Doom

Wild Samoans

Closely followed by "Capital Combat '90" and "Great American Bash '90".

Bought them all in WHSmiths, it would have been 1991-92. I remember there was some kind of prize you could send off for once you'd bought 4 tapes (Sting t-shirt and a money off voucher, I think).

I never really had any WWF tapes, since I had Sky and so just recorded the PPVs from there and just kept the ones I wanted to watch again.

Mine was "Starrcade '89 - Future Shock" with the 2 round robin tournaments:

Ric Flair

Lex Luger

Sting

Great Muta

Road Warriors

Steiners

Doom

Wild Samoans

Closely followed by "Capital Combat '90" and "Great American Bash '90".

Bought them all in WHSmiths, it would have been 1991-92. I remember there was some kind of prize you could send off for once you'd bought 4 tapes (Sting t-shirt and a money off voucher, I think).

I never really had any WWF tapes, since I had Sky and so just recorded the PPVs from there and just kept the ones I wanted to watch again.

Isnt it claimed that this is only time the Steiners and the Warriors faced off in a tag match?

• Paid Members

It was at the time, though they did later have a match on Nitro.

The first 4 WCW tapes came out the day after WrestleMania 8. I think it was a t-shirt if you bought all four, but you could also get the same shirt by buying a large number of bags of NikNaks.

Yep. Old WWF tapes had a blue piece at the top instead of the normal black.

My first tape was US Rampage 1991 and I still have and watch it to this day. I see SilverVision are to release it as a Tagged Classic with US Rampage 1992, which I'll be definitely getting.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the WWF re-released videos when they changed to WWF Home Video. I ask because I re-purchased Supertape 1992 off eBay last year and instead of the blue at the top it is black and then at the start instead of the Coliseum Home video intro it is a WWF Home Video one with Austin and a few others, circa 1997.

They must have done, as my Best Of Raw Volume 5 (From Around Wrestlemania 13 in 1997) that I actually got in 2002 had the WWF Superbowl commercial from 1999 on it, along with adverts for 1998/9-ish PPV tapes on the inside of the cover.

That advert is ingrained into my skull from all the tapes. On the odd tape you would literally get like four or five commercials. It was like a trial of fire before you got to see the event you payed for. Make it past Michael Cole telling you all about Sable : Unleashed and the Best Of Survivor Series for ten minutes.

The later Silvervision releases would also have that angry track playing over the text warnings. 'TV guy's always got the cameras where they don't belong'.

• Paid Members
This:

51A%20LAJwgYL.jpg

and this:

516Xw5Y2PdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was convinced that was Hulk Hogan in the Wrestlemania 2 battle royal. It turns out it was Dan Spivey.

These two were shown as specials on Sky just after we got it, so I recorded them. These two presentations really are responsible for me catching up with the history of WWF up to that point, since just about every 'significant' moment from 1984 to 1991 is included between those two, including the main events from WrestleManias I, III, IV, V, VI and VII, as well as Steamboat-Savage from III and the Battle Royal and Mr T-Piper bouts from II.

Archived