Over the limit

I haven't heard Regal on commentary, I bet he's good though.

Not as good as you'd think, Dill. He's also doing commentary for FCW as well as NXT now, probably to give him more time behind the mic to become a polished announcer. But he hasn't impressed me on commentary for NXT half as much as I though he would.

He tends to stumble a bit and is very soft spoken, but there's definitely potential there. Unlike Booker, who's clearly just a raving mental.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly Miz vs Cena was meant to happen that way, top babyface overcomes the evil powers of The Miz and Alex Riley. Yeah they were made to look shit in the process but late teens+ aren't the target market. You know they wouldn't have it any other way since their viewership consists of a lot of kiddies and having their champ lose on PPV will just upset the shit out of them. History repeats itself, classic babyface vs heel shenanigans. WWE isn't as edgy as it used to be and unfortunately we just have to put up with it until there's a more popular babyface or even antihero. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Sad to say but I didn't really enjoy any of the PPV except Cole vs Lawler and the compelling Orton vs Christian, which saddens me since I really got into the product around the Royal Rumble, and they've killed off a lot of the interest in it for me.

The show was okay overall. The last half of the show saved it because the first half was very mundane. It wasn't bad, none of the matches were bad either but there wasn't anything worthy of the PPV tag. It was all the sort of stuff you'd see on TV. The highlights of the first half were Truth/Mysterio, which was a solid opener and Cara/Guerrero, which was a decent showcase up until the botched finish. It's getting to the point where I'm worried Cara's going to mess up every time he goes for a highflying move and I hope he can adjust soon.

The show then moved up a notch with Orton/Christian, which was a great match and by far the best thing on the show. The crowd were really into too, which helped. Looking forward to seeing how this continues because this story is the best thing going on in WWE at the moment. Cole/Lawler was fine for what it was, something similar to this should've happened at Mania and it was good to see Cole get his comeuppance. Bret coming out was a nice surprise, hope he makes some more regular appearances.

As for the main event, I'm not completely sure whether I liked it or not. It was bordering on the ridiculous and was more of a segment than a match, there was virtually no suspense for most fans whatsoever but the storytelling was there and I could see what they were going for. I still don't mind Cena though. I take him for what he is.

I actually quite liked the main event for a couple of reasons;

1. There is absolutly no way on earth anyone can ever come out of losing an I Quit match and not look like a wimp who gives up, this is Cenas match, hes done them before won them before and we know that he "never gives up" so Miz for 30 minutes gave one of the best bad ass performances of a long time. Much like a couple of other people have said I (as someone who really doesent care about Cena) actually started to feel for him taking such an almightly beating.

2. It actually bordered close to torture, my fiance

on the subject of I Quit matches, apparently ROck and Foley have been discussing theirs on Twitter today:

Rock: "In the famous 'I Quit' match, I handcuffed Mick Foley and bashed his face 14 (times) with a steel chair,He bled. I won."

Foley:"Maybe so, but two days later, I trapped The Rock under a pallet of beer kegs to win the WWE strap in an Empty Arena match a/k/a TNA house show."

It's getting to the point where I'm worried Cara's going to mess up every time he goes for a highflying move and I hope he can adjust soon.

He's fine with his highflying in general, it's just the in-ring stuff involving flashy ranas, headscissors etc, where his opponent's doing just as much of the work and they need to both be on the same wavelength.

Another thing is that entrance jump. It looks great, but that's just another 'shockmaster' waiting to happen. It's inevitable imo, it's clearly not an easy thing to do and he'll get caught out one of these times. At best, it'll be recorded on Smackdown, will cause nothing worse than a bit of embarrassment, and they can edit it to suit.; At worst, it could just as easily happen on PPV (If he gets many more) and he could injure himself before the match even starts.

That said, I also used to be a bit like that when Owen was a face and backflipped into the ring, i thought he'd end up blowing a knee out some day.

Just watched it, that was some good shit I thought! Bret return was far too exciting! The last three matches all delivered big. Michael Cole played a blinder too.

Also, for me that was Orton's best ever match that wasn't a gimmick match. The buildup vid and the bout itself were top-notch pro wrestling.

Enjoyable PPV.

Sin Cara was shit. Very very disappointing.

Orton/Christian was fucking awesome.

I enjoyed the Miz/Cena til the screwy finish but I certainly expected it. There was no way Miz was going to dominate that much and actually go over clean.

• Paid Members

AM I the only one that found Cena/Miz to be like a worse version of Cena/Orton then? Except as I recall, Orton did the beating himself.

Cena should've won for all the reasons already outlined, but I'd have rather they cut out of some Miz's offence to give him a couple of false finishes to actually make him look somewhat strong. HE gave up at the first real opportunity.

I wonder if Colt Cabana is going to get on twitter all pissed at Orton for stealing his finisher

AM I the only one that found Cena/Miz to be like a worse version of Cena/Orton then? Except as I recall, Orton did the beating himself.

Not just that, but Orton did take a bit of a beating before he quit as well. The Miz just basically pussied out of any sort of fight with John Cena.

That's what seperated this from most Super Cena comebacks for me. Most of them involve the other guy taking quite a bit of punishment and not looking too bad at the end because of it. That didn't happen here. The Miz just got completely fucked by the booking. I suppose if the idea is to make The Miz look like a total weasel then fair enough, but are we also supposed to continue to buy him as a main eventer?

i enjoyed the ppv

i think sin cara is probably best saved for taped shows until he is up to speed, that la mistica attempt (at least i think it was that) for the finish was embarassing

laughed my arse off at cole finally getting his although it was sadly two ppvs too late

loved the orton/christian match, they seem to click so well

after that main event, i sadly dont think miz is going to get the wwe title again. how in gods name can you book your strongest heel to be that stupid, two title matches running? i honestly thought the rumble 99 finish was good until they pulled the swerve with the phone

glad truth got the win over rey, keeps his heat going

the rest of the show was meh for me and the obama thing for capitol punishment was cringeworthy

• Paid Members

Random thoughts having just finished watching :

Rey v Truth was decent. I wasn't that shocked at Truth winning, but I was surprised how clean it was. Guess we know Rey will come out winning the climactic match, which is a shame because Truth should be kept strong for when Morrison comes back and there's something they could build with a bit of backstory.

The flatliner is a much better finisher than that horrible thing he's been using where he gives himself a bossman slam.

The only difference is a jump. I think you're a bit harsh there on Paydirt (as it were), and not the first time I've read criticism of the move, that I really don't understand. Just as I don't understand the criticism of the Hellevator. There are an absolute cornucopia of moves where the person delivering lands with some force, all manner of slams, dropping moves and suplexes where there is big impact to either their back or front side. I've seen some DDTs and snap suplexes where the person doing it hits the mat so hard it might not be unreasonable to assume damage. The point is, as the person executing the move, you are in complete control of the impact, the direction, and the very fact you know it's coming - that's the difference between Truth hitting a complete shot/flatliner - with or without the jump - being the recipient of someone executing a slam on him.

Barratt v Jackson, bland and inoffensive, cheap finish but forgivable in those circumstances. Reminded me of Duggan/Honky in a way - you can't have your heel win clean if you intend to get more mileage out of the babyface, but come on - no one wanted Duggan as Intercontinental Champion, did they??

Sin Cara v Chavo was okm but for the combined years experience of the two, to not realize the ending-gone-wrong had looked ugly as fuck and done something else to go home looked really unprofessional. For that, I have to blame both. Shame, I would have lliked to see him win with a properly executed Sin Carousel. (TM whoever on here came up with that)

Womens title match, Bellas looked hot. The end.

Kiss My Foot match I fast forwarded through, because I'm past caring and have been since Mania. I was stunned considering how many matches were on this PPV that they still found time to do all the post-match shenanigans.

Tag title match inoffensive, shame the titles haven't been given to Punk for something to do. I actually preferred them on Girlman and The Twink than on Show and Kane, neither of whom I've been interested in for a good six months or more.

Orton v Christian was excellent, as you will have already read. They have done well with Christian's character too, thought they did well to avoid temptation to turn him here, even though I was expecting it at the end.

Cena v Miz wasn't at all compelling for me as they rehashed Cena v Orton from Breaking Point (which I did enjoy because it felt a bit different at the time) except jazzed it up with extras. Paradoxically the handicap beatdown had nowhere near enough offence from Cena to keep it interesting in the lengthy middle portion up until the false finish (which was lame and unconvincing), and yet when everything restarted we were "treated" to the worst Super Cena comeback since SummerSlam. I actually have time for Cena as a performer (other than his crap STF and contrived two tackles-duck the clothesline-Protoplex sequence) but the booking of that was deeply unsatisfying. If you paid to see Cena give Miz the kicking you think he deserves, you got short changed massively there.

A real mixed bag, I thought.

Archived