Personal Opinion: Wrestling you loved

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Got thinking about this last night when i was having a little discussion with a friend. We were talking about old Mania's and got into Wrestlemania 9 which is widely regarded as being one of the worst Wrestlemania's.

We got onto the point of the main event where Hogan comes down to save the day against Yokozuna and avenge Bret Hart. It's something that's panned all the time, people hate that finish for a few reasons, primarily because it didn't make a whole lot of sense, but seeing as i watched that fucker back in the day as it happened, i though it was the greatest thing ever. If you wanna promote by the term 'send the punters home happy' i don't think the WWF could have done a better job at WM9, that shit popped that crowd like no other.

The finish

you tell me them fans wern't enjoying themselves!

WrestleMania_09_-_Hulk_Hogan_Vs_Yokozuna_01.jpg

i dunno how the dirtsheets and stuff reacted at the time because i was too young to know that that kind of stuff existed but i was always of the general feeling that the finish to WM9 was awesome.

Anything else you personally feel falls under this category?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, even as a child I thought that ending was bullshit, and that Bret Hart got fucked over. Hogan, who hadn't even been around for a year, gets the glory of beating a knackered fat sumo - who Bret had worn down and nearly beat with the sharpshooter - and who probably didn't even realise he was in another match (since it was taken that Fuji was his interpreter). It paints Hogan as nothing but a gloryhound, much like his hogging of Warrior's belt after losing at WM6, and imposing himself on Savage's celebration at WM4.

I hated Hogan as a kid.

Russo's WCW - at least in the early days. It was like putting a 14-year old's Id in charge of a wrestling company, with the sort of daft ideas you always sort of wondered about, but knew you'd never see in a proper wrestling company. What would happen if you built a wrestling company around Jeff Jarrett? Or portrayed Billy Kidman and Hulk Hogan as equals? Or gave Scott Steiner a mic to say whatever he felt like to whoever he felt like? Or just had loads of big-titted lasses running around in their underwear pretending to fancy Horace Hogan?

In hindsight, of course, there's a reason why none of that stuff would happen in a wrestling company that was properly run, but it was fun to see while it lasted. Don't get me wrong, I preferred the WWF - at the time, it was about as perfect as a wrestling company is ever going to be - but I still used to look forward to Nitro, which TNT even considerately moved to a thursday so I wouldn't have to choose. As terrible as it all generally was from a purist's point of view, if somebody made the choice today to schedule today's RAW, Impact and the entire R&B period of WCW opposite each other every week, I'd be watching Nitro at any point when the Rock and Ric Flair weren't on.

• Paid Members

agreed ^ Russo's WCW was one of my favourite times to watch wrestling, i never got to see much of the Nitro stuff but i re-watched the PPV's over and over, crazy, carcrash tv!

• Paid Members

Undertaker vs Undertaker from Summerslam 1994. Regarded as a God awful match by almost everybody's standards. But as a seven year old kid, sat on the floor looking on in awe and disbelief as TWO Undertaker's went at it? It's one of my favourite childhood memories if I'm being honest, and for that reason, I can still watch this match today.

Had to smile to myself when that Kane vs Kane angle happened a few years ago. Sat watching with my little cousin who couldn't believe what he was watching. "Two Kane's?" he said in utter disbelief before watching it unfold with his mouth open. Took me right back to the Summer of 1994.

What's the purpose of "car-crash TV" on a pay-per-view event? Whatever logic the strategy has is surely only applicable to free TV broadcasts?

51E4Z6D7GML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The philosophy is that some people will pay to see car crashes. The sequel-greenlighting success of Car Wars 1 must be evidence of that.

The Mercernaries vs The Alliance (I think that was the team names) from Survivor Series 90. Sgt Slaughter pins most of the opposing team in a range of about 3 minutes with some of the shittest moves known to man! But for some reason it's fun! Plus I always thought Sarge was fab!

It's not one particular match for me, instead it's everything this man ever did

Crush.jpg

Despite how over he was in the early ninetines everybody I know seems to think Crush was the complete drizzling shits and I don't understand it. So his promos were a bit naff and he ended up being a bit of a jobber but as a 7 year old kid watching Summerslam '92 when he walked down the aisle I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Wrestlemania 9 isn't the worst one for me, i'd rather watch it than 1, 2, 15, and 27. Maybe even 4 & 11 too, and 13 and 25 were only saved by one match.

I've often ranted on about how it should have been Bret vs Savage main eventing, but that was all in hindsight. As much as i was a huge fan around that time, I wasn't analysing things in those days, i just took whatever i got rather than wished for alternatives like i do today.

All that really was lacking from WM9 was that big match, if you had a Savage/Bret half hour classic, it would probably be considered one of the great WMs as HBK/Tatanka, Doink/Crush, Perfect/Luger, Steiners/Headshrinkers were all at least decent, whilst Taker/Giant served it's purpose and the tag title match would've been ok if it had 5 minutes cut from it and was Hogans only appearance of the night.

It could've been better, but i think it gets shat on to such an extent more by the ending leaving a bad taste in fans mouths, rather than it being an absolute stinker from start to finish.

It could've been better, but i think it gets shat on to such an extent more by the ending leaving a bad taste in fans mouths, rather than it being an absolute stinker from start to finish.

WrestleMania 9 is one that, I suspect, a lot of people actually loved at the time but when they got into the insider knowledge and whatnot, accepted the word from The Powers That Be that it was shite. We can be quite prone to a bit of revisionist history of our own fandom and opinions, I think. I'm not entirely sure that the people who apparently shared Meltzer's opinions at the age of six are being completely honest.

I know when I was nine, I didn't sit there after WM9 thinking "Bret just got screwed! This is so unfair, Hogan playing politics again even though Bret's been working all year round for the company." I fell asleep before the end and didn't believe my nephew when he told me the next day what happened. When I did watch it and have it confirmed, I was chuffed at the big twist and the Hulkster getting the title back. I don't think there were many people watching Hogan vs Andre at WrestleMania 3 and thinking "this is shit compared to that Savage vs Steamboat match that was on earlier" either.

• Paid Members

I was all for the ending of WMIX to be honest. Hogan winning the belt was fitting, because he was seen as being better than anyone. Bret Hart didnt match up. It was evident on the night when Hogan got the biggest pop of the night and there was even chants on "Hogan" during the Undertaker match. As a young kid, you just want to see your boy win. I also remember the things that I really loved at the time were the Undertaker vs Undertaker storyline. Loved that. My Dad still says "its never been as good since the Undertaker came out in his purple gloves, has it?". I loved Crush as well. There were many things I loved. I miss how it was. Simple times back then.

the 3 Hour 'Powers that be' Nitro's, so much going on that at times it is hard to keep up with but everybody got TV Time, u had the Maestro, Chavo selling goods, Jerry Flynn and the Block, 'Screamin' Norman Smiley, Torrie Wilson in a Referee Bikini, Madusa fondling Evan Karagais, Vampiro and the Misfits, Anti USA Shane Douglas and Co, TAFKAPI i could carry on forever! Loved it!

also agree about the Russo Run in 2000 WCW too, really love that too.

WWF/E wise its not a period or event but i actually really love every Randy Orton vs Triple H match/Feud they've had over the years, No Mercy LMS match being the standout.

Archived