Personal Opinion: Wrestling you loved

Egg Shen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The WCW vs Battledome feud, T-Money vs DDP should have headlined Starrcade!.

HOLY SHIT. In the great halls of "what I has forgotted" and rediscovered through this great forum - Johnny V managing Demolition, The Man With No Name, Big Bully Busick, Widowmaker, Bonnie Blackstone, Piper's "family".... THIS is top of the list.

default.jpg

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???"

• Paid Members

Not for the first time, not for the last, you have shown me the way.

Can you imagine in a weird parallel universe where the WWF and our Gladiators had been based in the same country and a feud had ensued during the latter's peak? Shawn Michaels playing chickenshit heel running from a coke-crazed Shadow, Undertaker standing up to the challenge of the Wolfman, Money Inc paying off Saracen to suddenly turn on Warrior in the middle of Atlaspheres... the possibilities are endless.

Actually my mind just melted at what the WWF photoshoot / calendar boys could have done with the talents of Jet, the way they made the most of Sunny. Back in a bit.

• Paid Members

I love every Royal Rumble, they're all ace. Brilliant concept with built in intrigue.

A friend of mine who doesn't really watch wrestling at all any more has a bizarre obsession with Wrestlemania IV. I'm not a fan, it goes on for fucking ages, everyone's phoning it in, and the church service like atmosphere takes away from anything exciting (Hogan promo aside), but my chum will bring this up as the example of when wrestling was at its best for him. Funny how nostalgia works sometimes.

• Paid Members
I was so excited the Warrior was back then. I still fondly remember seeing the WWF magazine in the shop that covered that event, with the photo of Hogan and Warrior silhouetted against the fireworks. It didn't make a lick of sense though. Was Warrior just hanging around backstage in his pants and facepaint, planning not to get involved until he saw Papa Shango (who I don't recall having dealings with Sid or Hogan prior to that night) ganging up on the Hulkster?

Honestly, back then, I just had this idea in my head that Warrior had been roaming the country in his gear and facepaint like a native American journeyman, that he'd gotten wind that WM was on at the Hoosier Dome, and he just ran down there, non-stop, straight through the entrance, through the locker-room and into the arena and only stopping when he got to the ring to shake the ropes and save the day, because the gods had told him so.

Honestly, even as a child I thought that ending was bullshit, and that Bret Hart got fucked over.

Me too.

I hated Hogan as a kid.

Me too.

Me three.

But then I kind of got into WWF a bit later than most, and so the first times I saw Hogan, he seemed to be getting really preferential treatment without really deserving it - I actually agreed with Sid Justice's rant about Hogan being chosen over everyone else to face Ric Flair, especially as he'd been such a cock at the Rumble. WM9 just re-inforced that image for me really.

34.jpg

Oh yes.

I remember watching it at a mate's house and howling at the lie detector segment where Vince tries to prove that Mr America is Hulk Hogan. Vince shouts 'you're Hogan. HOGAN! HOGAN! HOGAN!!', and Mr America replies 'No, no, no, NO!'. The lie detector (which rings like a little bell when someone is telling the truth, and buzzes like the hotspot screen on 'Strike It Lucky' when they're lying) goes 'ding ding ding ding!'. :laugh:

• Paid Members
34.jpg

Oh yes.

I remember watching it at a mate's house and howling at the lie detector segment where Vince tries to prove that Mr America is Hulk Hogan. Vince shouts 'you're Hogan. HOGAN! HOGAN! HOGAN!!', and Mr America replies 'No, no, no, NO!'. The lie detector (which rings like a little bell when someone is telling the truth, and buzzes like the hotspot screen on 'Strike It Lucky' when they're lying) goes 'ding ding ding ding!'. :laugh:

Just watched it.

Russ Abbot did a better skit in a similar vien years ago.

• Paid Members
The WCW vs Battledome feud, T-Money vs DDP should have headlined Starrcade!.

HOLY SHIT. In the great halls of "what I has forgotted" and rediscovered through this great forum - Johnny V managing Demolition, The Man With No Name, Big Bully Busick, Widowmaker, Bonnie Blackstone, Piper's "family".... THIS is top of the list.

default.jpg

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???"

Her voice was actually the sex. Obscure as fuck though I agree.

• Paid Members

I don't know whether I'd go as far as to say other people think it's "shit", but I love dying-days ECW, in preference to the early stuff.

Kash, EZ Money, Hamrick, Simon & Swinger, Rhino, Doring & Roadkill, York & Matthews, the Guido/Mamaluke version of the FBI, Mikey & Tajiri, Corino, CW Anderson.

So many guys on that roster I absolutely love.

i know this is a few days old, but Warrior at WM8.

This is the first and only time so far when I thought the 'sound guy' must have pressed play on the wrong song, by mistake.

Those 1.5 seconds between the music and seeing him run, your brain can think of a lot of things, I honestly thought it was a production error, no way could the Warrior come back! 1 of my favourite WWF memories, for surprise value probably.

wwe-wrestlemania-10.png

edit: also Heenans reaction was great, screeching "it's the Ultimate Warrior...look at that!.....everybody here's lost it!!"

Archived