Personal Opinion: Wrestling you loved

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I have always loved Royal Rumble 1993, Wrestlemania 9 and Summerslam 1993. If anybody says anything about 1993 in none wrestling terms the Summerslam 1993 entrance always pops in my mind.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
What's the purpose of "car-crash TV" on a pay-per-view event? Whatever logic the strategy has is surely only applicable to free TV broadcasts?

U

I didn't literally mean tv. I just meant a car crash of a show or whatever...fuck it, i loved it.

Keeping with the theme of 'things that killed WCW' from my earlier post, I'm going to say the fingerpoke of doom angle. Reading between the lines, it was very clearly a case of WCW trying to imitate the conspiracy aspect of the Rock/Mankind screwjob that the WWF had done so well a month earlier, and I was very impressed with how they did it. How they followed it up - not so much, but I thought the original angle was expertly done.

From a selfish point of view, I was very pleased to see an 'elite' nWo faction again after Scott Steiner had been carrying it on his own for about a year. I also disagree with the commonly-held view that it killed the WCW belt - really, it didn't digress at all from the nWo ethos, and in the context of that, it was completely justifiable. They'd always treated tradition with disdain, hence spray-painting the belt the first time around. Hogan was the one who was always a mark for the belt, while Nash was more interested in stirring shit and making money. To my mind, things like the DDP and Flair title runs (DDP wasn't world championship material, and Flair hadn't been portrayed at that level for a long time) were more damaging to the prestige of the belt that year than the Hogan/Nash angle, which for me was little different to Andre selling the WWF championship to Dibiase.

The Mercernaries vs The Alliance (I think that was the team names) from Survivor Series 90. Sgt Slaughter pins most of the opposing team in a range of about 3 minutes with some of the shittest moves known to man! But for some reason it's fun! Plus I always thought Sarge was fab!

Watched that last night - Tito did the same for the Alliance. Took out Zukhov in about 20 seconds.

I have always loved Royal Rumble 1993, Wrestlemania 9 and Summerslam 1993. If anybody says anything about 1993 in none wrestling terms the Summerslam 1993 entrance always pops in my mind.

Agree with this, i absolutely love 1993 WWF. You missed KOTR though which was by far the best event of that year.

Great PPV's

Raw starting in the Manhattan Centre

Many wonderful and colourful characters.

Bobby Heenan on a camel

Just brillient, i will one day get round to purchasing a complete 1993 WWF set to watch through again, i only currently have the PPV's & The Best of Raw season 1 dvd.

Agree with this, i absolutely love 1993 WWF. You missed KOTR though which was by far the best event of that year.

Great PPV's

Raw starting in the Manhattan Centre

Many wonderful and colourful characters.

Bobby Heenan on a camel

Just brillient, i will one day get round to purchasing a complete 1993 WWF set to watch through again, i only currently have the PPV's & The Best of Raw season 1 dvd.

Summerslam is the best PPV of 1993 for me, Bodies/Steiners, Bret vs Doink/Lawler, Razor/Dibiase are all soild matches, the Main is better than expected too and I even enjoyed Ludvig Borga's Squash of Marty Jannetty

Archived