Chris Benoit - Will He Ever Be Remembered For His Talent Again?

David

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Thats happens in loads of sports and happens in loads of wrestling company's as well. It's a way to haze a new guy or a guy who is pissing everyone off pretty much. Sometimes its just used as a joke with silly outcomes.

These idiots wake you up out after you've been on the road all night to take someone to "wrestlers court", though. I remember reading Steve Bruce and Brian McClair used to make young footballers pretend they were shagging kitchen mops and telling Ryan Giggs it would be alright at the age of 17 to ask Alex Ferguson for a company car and stuff like that as a joke, but wrestlers seem petty and thin skinned. Mind you, Undertaker comes from maturing in a locker room where you had a bunch of locker room leaders who were all completely weird. I doubt anyone would call Michaels, Razor, Hart, Diesel and Undertaker normal everyday folk. They all seem thin-skinned, paranoid, petty and/or completely wrong in the head.

I don't know how many people on here are boxing fan's but did you still watch Mike tyson after he was convicted of rape? The person he raped still has to live with that and still suffers probably everyday. I still watched him I still watched Lewis make a fool out of him.

And docile Danny Williams

• Paid Members
Still being able to 'enjoy his matches' depends on your own moral code I suppose, and whether you can still 'hero worship' - which to an extent is what you're doing - a double murderer.

No, it's not. Is enjoying a PG Wodehouse novel "hero-worship" of a Nazi collaborator or enjoying a Mishima Yukio book "hero-worship" of a neo-fascist madman?

See, I've no problem with people being unable to enjoy Benoit's matches because of what he did - what I do have a problem with is such people effectively becoming "holier-than-thou" and casting aspersions on others' moral code for not doing likewise.

Well, that's why there's always a debate when this topic comes up.

I make no apologies for what I posted. You can think what you like, again a free country, but I honestly find it a little weird and a little bit creepy that some people still act like 'fan boys' towards a double murderer.

Some things are far more important in life, or at least, should be.

It's not a case of being a fan boy it's a case of being a lover of wrestling. Benoit was wrong in what he did but the 20 years before that were fucking awesome. I won't just stop watching him because in a act of madness he took the lives of two people. I am not going out and being pro Benoit or anything like that. I just thought he was a fucking great wrestler one of the best I have seen in my life time and I can't suddenly hate his wrestling because he is a double murderer.

Everyone is different though that's why this debate is good.

If The Rock got drunk after Wrestlemania and crashed into a family of four with his SUV and killed them all would you then erase him from history?

• Paid Members
All of the 1's I heard was while he was alive and kicking to be fair.

I may have worded that wrong, so I'll apologise.

The same stories being used to highlight Benoit being unstable and nasty now were considered simply part of the goings-on behind the scenes and a sign of Benoit upholding the traditions and respect of pro wrestling beforehand, you know what I mean?

For example, everyone looks at Harley Race as a man worthy of respect, and someone who wasn't to be messed with. If he had killed his family those same stories that we read now would be used to suggest that he was really a nasty piece of work all along, wouldn't they?

I would just repeat what classics guy has already said to be fair. I don't buy into the "he was a nasty piece of work all along", I have met plenty of guys who are allot like Benoit but they never killed there wife and kid. I think its as simple as somebody as driven as Benoit was on a slow walk down the hill from the day Eddie died and the stuff they found out about his brain and other problems (rumors saying he was on the verge of divorce). It all led him to do what he did.

If The Rock got drunk after Wrestlemania and crashed into a family of four with his SUV and killed them all would you then erase him from history?

You do realise that such an incident would bear absolutely zero resemblance to the Benoit situation, don't you?

• Paid Members
I guess the question is, how do you feel watching things like this.

That was an amazing move I had forgot all about it. The thing is he was crazy anyway. Look at Mick Foley he must have taken more damage to the skull than Chris Benoit. He has not killed anyone.

• Paid Members

You do realise that such an incident would bear absolutely zero resemblance to the Benoit situation, don't you?

So The Rock kills four people while of not sound mind because of drink and Benoit kills two people while not of sound mind because of being crazy. Both would have made their decisions to do what they did. The Rock would have not chosen to kill a family of four but this would always be a risk after drink driving. If The Rock kills four people while drunk is he struck off and removed from everything WWE.

I like to think the look of amazement in Austin's eyes in that clip is real. He thought they went too far in that match, and perhaps they did.

Still being able to 'enjoy his matches' depends on your own moral code I suppose, and whether you can still 'hero worship' - which to an extent is what you're doing - a double murderer.

If I wanted to be a wrestler, I'd still watch Benoit matches for the work value of them, the skill and ability and learn from that. I'd see him as a level to aspire to as far as his ring work is concerned, and also learn from what did cause his head damage and set limits. Yes it's gristly and not a pleasant experience, but when things like this happen you learn from them.

Would that mean I'd be praising or wanting to be "JUST LIKE" a double murderer? No.

You can admire his ability in the ring and praise his skill without condoning the rest of the man, like I said earlier I feel uncomfortable though every time I see a chairshot or a diving headbutt. The one linked a page earlier than this post stuck in my head for a long time when the CT results of Benoit's brain came out as being one of the defining incidents, it might not have been the straw that broke the Camel's back, but it would have made a difference.

I can watch his matches, I can see him go with people of equal merit and put on great technical displays and acknowledge it, because it is what it is, a damn good match.

Imo anyone who kills a child is a scumbag bottom line, no excuses whatsoever, i cant and wont remember the guy as anything but a wanker. I have not been no angel in my life but there is a line. Gary Glitter was a great entertainer but who would consider listening to his music and forgetting his crimes, nobody i know.

• Paid Members
Thats happens in loads of sports and happens in loads of wrestling company's as well. It's a way to haze a new guy or a guy who is pissing everyone off pretty much. Sometimes its just used as a joke with silly outcomes.

These idiots wake you up out after you've been on the road all night to take someone to "wrestlers court", though. I remember reading Steve Bruce and Brian McClair used to make young footballers pretend they were shagging kitchen mops and telling Ryan Giggs it would be alright at the age of 17 to ask Alex Ferguson for a company car and stuff like that as a joke, but wrestlers seem petty and thin skinned. Mind you, Undertaker comes from maturing in a locker room where you had a bunch of locker room leaders who were all completely weird. I doubt anyone would call Michaels, Razor, Hart, Diesel and Undertaker normal everyday folk. They all seem thin-skinned, paranoid, petty and/or completely wrong in the head.

Yeah so? :laugh:

Go watch deadliest catch and see what the new guy on the boat called the green horn has to put up with. You get this stuff in all walks off life. In wrestling you take someones life in your own hands on a daily basis, allot of the time these things show how tough you are and if you can be trusted. Problem's come out of it if you don't belong in the locker room normally then anything else. All i'm saying is the fact he was 1 of the main guys in the court stuff was just proof that allot of people looked up to him and he was someone who expected respect.

Here's a question: if he had been a shit wrestler, would people be asking 'Will we ever remember this man for his talent again?'

I'd imagine the answer would be no; the first thing remembered would be that he was a double murderer, and the second thing - way behind everything else - would be that he had been a shit wrestler.

So in essence, some people seem to be putting the fact that he was a 'good wrestler' ahead of the fact that he was double murderer. That's the part that I find quite sick to be honest.

• Paid Members
Here's a question: if he had been a shit wrestler, would people be asking 'Will we ever remember this man for his talent again?'

Of course not. If it was Beefcake, people would want him hung from the Barber Shop window.

Go watch deadliest catch and see what the new guy on the boat called the green horn has to put up with. You get this stuff in all walks off life. In wrestling you take someones life in your own hands on a daily basis, allot of the time these things show how tough you are and if you can be trusted. Problem's come out of it if you don't belong in the locker room normally then anything else. All i'm saying is the fact he was 1 of the main guys in the court stuff was just proof that allot of people looked up to him and he was someone who expected respect.

The blokes on Deadliest Catch have small knobs and big beards though. Has one of those blokes ever made a REFEREE do push ups and piss on him and shave his head while the whole bus laugh at him? A referee! Not to mention the whole killing your family thing.

• Paid Members
Imo anyone who kills a child is a scumbag bottom line, no excuses whatsoever, i cant and wont remember the guy as anything but a wanker. I have not been no angel in my life but there is a line. Gary Glitter was a great entertainer but who would consider listening to his music and forgetting his crimes, nobody i know.

Yet they had 1 of his songs on Glee not long ago now.

http://www.musicrooms.net/tv/28516-gary-gl...complaints.html

Archived