Chris Benoit - Will He Ever Be Remembered For His Talent Again?

David

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glitter's Rock n Roll Part 2 song is still played across America at big football and basketball games, as the players enter. Its a song and a half, it has to be said.

Thats the yanks for you. I was a great Glitter fan thought he was a great showmen but the day he did what he did he was a scumbag who would never get airtime in my house again. I guess its up to the individual but as i have said Benoit is a scumbag who imo when he killed a child he gave up all rights to be remembered for anything else. As i said its my opinion and i am answering the question put.

How do you feel about Led Zeppelin? Jimmy Page picked up a 14 year old girl during an American tour and took her round the rest of the gigs as his fuck buddy. He never went to jail for it, but that's still paedophilia in your eyes, I'd imagine.

Luckily i never liked the pricks in the first place but yes they are nonces in my eyes, are they not in yours then, just returning the question.

Which was kind of my point, the uproar that it caused. Americans aren't aware of the circumstances surrounding him. His name is mud in the U.K. and his songs never get played here.

That's not true. As I pointed out earlier, I've heard 'Rock & Roll Christmas' played many times in bars in the north east and Manchester during the festive period over the last decade. As Loki's also pointed out, there's been plenty of rock stars whose dubious sexual practices have been swept under the carpet due to the 'rock 'n' roll, innit?' mentality over the years. And where is Pete Townsend's book?

EDIT: Already been asked, I see.

My point is that I can't watch his matches now because what he did has sullied them. I get no enjoyment out of them.

I'm struggling to understand how anyone else can and how they can separate the 'artiste' from the killer. There are two valid viewpoints held here, and I am of the opinion of the 'can't separate them' one. That's all. The moral code stuff, well that is reserved for the ones who think it is okay to sideline him being a double murderer.

Aspiring would-be wrestlers viewing his work to learn how to be better workers is different from the fanboy hero worship, 'I still get pleasure from watching his matches' stuff. As long as they learn from his stuff and remember not to copy his more dangerous stuff that involved his head taking punishment. Maybe that way, some good will actually come from Benoit.

Enjoying his matches is not 'fanboy hero worship' - again, this is the sort of polemic stuff that's getting you quite hostile reactions here. There's a difference between watching something and saying 'that was a good match' and blindy worshipping Benoit.

You also don't have to go out of your way to see a Benoit match - to give you an example, I've been re-watching the old RAWs and Smackdowns from 99-2001 recently simply because they're so much better than wrestling has been over the last few years. Benoit is all over them. I would find it odder to go out of my way to consciously skip or fast forward his segments, which are the main events or key parts of the show in several cases, than to just watch them. Steve Austin's heel run of 2001 is one of my favourite things in wrestling ever, and Chris Benoit was a big part of several weeks of that - fuck the idea of never watching that again simply because Benoit's involved.

As long as they learn from his stuff and remember not to copy his more dangerous stuff that involved his head taking punishment. Maybe that way, some good will actually come from Benoit.

Agreed, I think the silver lining of the whole thing has been the way the company does a better job of protecting it's employees now from taking needless and stupid moves that are not actually necessary to be entertaining.

That said, I'd rather they found this out through sheer fucking common sense and this whole thing never happened.

• Paid Members

I've got a The Who 'The Kids Are Alright' t-shirt and I like to wear it round Redhill to see if the local dribblers can figure out if I'm doing it ironically or not.

• Paid Members

Love his matches and still enjoy watching them, inexcusable human being for killing his family... but I'll still watch his matches if one happens to crop up somewhere. if you can't enjoy his matches cos he gets whacked on the bonce alot then fair does, won't argue with them on that, there decision like.

I'm sure I'd be harsher on him if it were my own family but, without wanting to sound like some sick fuck, I do generally have some sort of detachment from bad things when they haven't happened to me personally or anyone involved with me. Sure, I don't condone it, but those things tend to be something that go to the back of my mind. It's the same with many horrific things in this world - surely most people have to deal with them in that way?

• Paid Members
I won't go out of my way to watch a Benoit match but if he happens to be on a DVD I am watching I don't go mental with the skip button either.

classicsguy does and were all massive cunts for not doing so.

Let's go down to Cambodia lads.

Archived