Chris Benoit - Will He Ever Be Remembered For His Talent Again?

David

• Paid Members
Glitter's Rock n Roll Part 2 song is still played across America at big football and basketball games, as the players enter. Its a song and a half, it has to be said.

Thats the yanks for you. I was a great Glitter fan thought he was a great showmen but the day he did what he did he was a scumbag who would never get airtime in my house again. I guess its up to the individual but as i have said Benoit is a scumbag who imo when he killed a child he gave up all rights to be remembered for anything else. As i said its my opinion and i am answering the question put.

How do you feel about Led Zeppelin? Jimmy Page picked up a 14 year old girl during an American tour and took her round the rest of the gigs as his fuck buddy. He never went to jail for it, but that's still paedophilia in your eyes, I'd imagine.

Luckily i never liked the pricks in the first place but yes they are nonces in my eyes, are they not in yours then, just returning the question.

What about Jerry Lee Lewis, they were related and she was very young but they were both consenting and, as far as I know, legal in their home state at the time?

On the topic of Benoit, I don't really think of it much watching his matches. They are still as enjoyable as ever, given what he did was inexcusable but I don't see why that should stop me enjoying an old tape or the 94 J cup or whatever.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the topic of Benoit, I don't really think of it much watching his matches. They are still as enjoyable as ever, given what he did was inexcusable but I don't see why that should stop me enjoying an old tape or the 94 J cup or whatever.

Indeed.

He's going to be, rightly so, remembered for murdering his wife and child. The thing is that I feel fairly detatched from these people at the best of times. I don't know them and don't care to know them either. I didn't feel much other than a wee bit disappointed when he died, and then a bit shocked when I heard about the details in a sort of "didn't see that coming!" kinda way, but I've never had any other feelings either way about it.

• Paid Members

I think one of the main issues with re-watching Benoit matches, is that its those matches, the style he wrestled, which ultimately led to what he did. You can't apply that same reasoning to a musican or film star. You can listen to a Gary Glitter record (if you wanted to), and know that the straining of his vocal cords didnt have a direct impact on him touching kids. However, there is a direct connection between Benoit's "art" and him brutally murdering his wife and son. Watching Benoit perform the diving headbutt - especially from the top of the cage, or in the MITB match at Mania 21 -, taking unprotected chair shots to the head, taking nasty bumps etc. is like watching his path to murder. The same cannot be applied to the others listed.

I'm not saying the others listed arent low life scumbags, I'm just saying its easier to seperate them from their work than it is Benoit, seen as it was Benoit's work that led to it all anyway.

We can go on all night comparing cases a scumbag is a scumbag but i am amazed morals have certainly changed since i was young, although i will confess it was a long time ago :D

They didn't have the internet to debate such things back then tho :p

true we discussed it over a brown and mild in the pub, yea even before lager :D

Melina's ring gear is now see-through again and I even noticed that Trish Stratus's nipples were visible underneath her top on raw last week. I guess when inter-gender tag team matches are allowed again that is the final sign that pg is dead :laugh: But jokes aside as the saying goes "No one man or woman is bigger then the industry.

pics man pics :D

Is Fred West known for his stirling building work? Is Harold Shipman known for all the good work he did as a GP?

I happen to know Harold Shipman is a quack of the highest order. Cured my old nan's sleeping problems anyway, never get an answer these days when I knock her door, she's always fast asleep can't even be arsed to collect her post from the letterbox.

In regards to Patrica Stratus's nips (Mann it felt wired typing that) :laugh: If your are serious dude I think it was the shot that they do right before the add break to let you know that their match is on next.

• Moderators
We can go on all night comparing cases a scumbag is a scumbag but i am amazed morals have certainly changed since i was young, although i will confess it was a long time ago :D

What do you mean by 'morals have changed' since you were young? Do you pre-date all the examples mentioned (Jerry Lee Lewis, Woody Allen, etc)? If anything, more of blind eye was turned to it back then. I'm not talking about your morals in particular, but in saying 'times have changed', you're talking about society in general. And I don't agree with that assessment.

I think that this is an impossible question to answer and can only be decided upon personal preferences and moral standings.

When watching a Benoit match from WCW in '99, you're not seeing Chris Benoit, the family-murdering sicko, you're still watching footage of a guy whom at the point when it was filmed was innocent.

Can a legacy be erased due to its closing chapter? That's what you need to decide, and everybody will have a different opinion of this.

Let's use this as an example: Chris Benoit murdered his wife and child in the mid-90's, but was wrongfully found to be innocent and everybody believed him to be innocent. We'd have seen him through the late 90's and early 00's and we'd still have the footage of that time period. Then let's say that in '05 he was re-trialled due to some new evidence and it was found that he was the one who had committed the murder. That would mean that now we'd be seeing footage of Chris Benoit, a man who had murdered his family.

Heaven forbid this to happen, but say one of your close friends ended up committing an atrocious crime in five years time. Would you ever be able to look back on the good times that you had together?

I know that it is a completely different analogy to what Chris Benoit did, but what I'm trying to say is that until a person commits such an act are they guilty before they did it?

I like Chris Beniot the wrestler he was always good to watch and entertaining. The one thing i dont agree on is that it happened because of wrestling anyone can kill. Just cos he took unprotected headshots, steriods,nasty bumps doesnt turn you in to a killer. There must be lots of sports stars that have had numerous concussions took lots of steriods there not killers or not yet. People just think he was a wrestler and wrestling turned him in to a killer why cant someone just be crazy or fucked up

• Paid Members

I'd guess that not everyone who sustains severe concussions the way Benoit did would turn into a killer, but that's not to say it didn't cause him in particular to become like that. Around the time of his autopsy, it was pointed out that several other athletes (I think it was in American football) had sustained similar levels of damage, and in their cases it had led to psychosis, and consequently violent tendencies. One of them even committed suicide.

There was a whole load of other stuff with Benoit, too - in conjunction with the concussions, he was also stacking steroids like nobody's business, and to top it off, was rumoured to be taking GHB to burn fat. If that's true, there's no way he was ever going to be normal - the concussions were bad enough, but with everything else, he had no chance.

What do you mean by 'morals have changed' since you were young? Do you pre-date all the examples mentioned (Jerry Lee Lewis, Woody Allen, etc)? If anything, more of blind eye was turned to it back then. I'm not talking about your morals in particular, but in saying 'times have changed', you're talking about society in general. And I don't agree with that assessment.

I am talking about working class values not arty farty fuckers who would not know morals if they smacked them in the gob.

I'd guess that not everyone who sustains severe concussions the way Benoit did would turn into a killer, but that's not to say it didn't cause him in particular to become like that. Around the time of his autopsy, it was pointed out that several other athletes (I think it was in American football) had sustained similar levels of damage, and in their cases it had led to psychosis, and consequently violent tendencies. One of them even committed suicide.

There was a whole load of other stuff with Benoit, too - in conjunction with the concussions, he was also stacking steroids like nobody's business, and to top it off, was rumoured to be taking GHB to burn fat. If that's true, there's no way he was ever going to be normal - the concussions were bad enough, but with everything else, he had no chance.

i never knew that i always thought ppl where using it as a excuse for the killings didnt realise there was a study in to it. Such a shame they all died, but I cant get away from the fact some of the matches i like from around the time he was in wwe are the ones I like Ladder match vs Jericho been one of them

I am talking about working class values not arty farty fuckers who would not know morals if they smacked them in the gob.

Or smashed them over the head with a pool cue, eh? That's the working class way of getting your point across...

Archived