Impact Wrestling Discussion **UK SPOILERS**

iamtheman

And the thing where Tazz and co are sat on sofas on a wrestling show going "he stayed in character there" beggars belief.

I didn't like that bit, i do think the gutcheck concept is a good idea though, just a shame nobodys like Al Snow & Taz are the judges. If the likes of Hogan, Sting & Flair were judges it would be great.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried to watch it, but it was just shit. The thing with Bully Ray and the awful lawyer was just terrible, the worst kind of hammy panto. And unless I'm missing backstory, it didn't even make sense. Bully Ray was tricking him into a fight, but then the bloke went to fight him and Bully Ray fannies it, then Bully Ray's happy because he's agreed to a fight?

Bully wanted to see if Parks would chicken out. He wanted to see if he had the bollocks to get messy. Now Bully's convinced Parks is a coward, and he's got him in a fight at the PPV, where he can legally kick the shit out of him without anyone interfering. It was obvious, I thought.

The work shoot aspect of the Gut Check doesn't do it for me either. I can't work out whether the Joey Ryan thing is a work leading to him coming in, or just the most stupid burial ever. I mean, I actually thought he was a bit weak in his match, but his character and everything is well done. So what's the segment meant to achieve? Heat between him and Taz? Ryan was also miles better than the first guy, and they hired him. So the whole concept just seems a bit iffy at the moment. I much preferred the last X Division tryouts they did which produced Zema Ion and Football Boy.

This seems to confirm that what happened wasn't a work. Has to be said that he makes some valid points about the fact that by the 3 judges saying no and ignoring 87% of the votes that they are essentially saying they know better. I also thought at the time that Bruce Pritchard saying no because Joey Ryan hadn't accomplished anything in the 10 or so years he's been around was a weak excuse for the same examples he gave about CM Punk and Daniel Bryan. Hell you can even add Austin Aries to that list too.

Still, he comes across quite bitter about the whole experience and this video certainly won't do his reputation any favours.

A few days ago someone asks Hulk Hogan over on Twitter about Joey Ryan and Hulk responds with "I'm working on that situation".

Now Joey Ryan brings Hulk Hogan into the equation.

Coincidence? I think not but I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

• Paid Members
What's happening with Football Boy? Is he still quadraspazzed on a lifeglug?

IIRC he's out of hospital and it would be around another 10/11 months before he's back in the ring (if he even wants to return).

Respectfully, Newy, I disagree about Roode's in-ring style. He looks as crisp as fuck to me, and it working a style that he can do until he's 50. I bet he looks at guys like Sting and thinks "better that than Sabu".

The only issues I have with Roode in the ring is that when he's taking punches from his opponent he stands there just a little too long whilst they dick around. I know that's usually the opponent's fault, but Roode could do a bit of what Benoit used to do, shaking his head to clear it, or something to cover the gap.

The other problem is his finisher - whichever one they're pushing this week. I don't know whether his finisher is a spinebuster, the fisherman's suplex or the crossface. They haven't really established ANY of them as definitive, so rather than having 3 strong finishers he appears to have 3 ones that occasionally work.

Other than that he's golden.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. He's safe, which is absolutely fine with me, but other than that, I just find him really, really boring. When he's on offense, I just switch off and wait for the comeback. I don't believe his grumbling facials or his chickenshit looks. HHH was absolutely incredible at both of these when he was playing this type of character. I'm guessing they're following the 2000 Triple H blueprint with his whole run, and the in-ring comparison between them two is just night and day.

I don't want to shit on him too much, because as a babyface I think he's absolutely amazing. Possibly my favourite guy to watch currently out there. The moves and all that are done well, but above that, his comebacks are just glorious and he's one of the most sympathetic all-rounders that I have ever seen. His timing is just fantastic too. I don't have fucking gaylord shitfits on this forum for nothing, but if I was honest, I bet my one after Bound For Glory was partly because I love getting worked by good guy Roode and I was probably pissed off he didn't win the title.

Of course, this heel run inevitably ends with a face turn, so if they do that right, they've probably got the best new top guy in the world in their ranks. I actually think a double-turn with Storm would work a fucking treat. If Roode builds momentum with all these clean wins and respect off the fans, then Storm has to come back to hear these cheers despite Roode playing the cunt, you've got an Austin/Bret situation to work off. Storm as a heel in the pre-Beer Money days was fantastic too. His work with recovering alchy Rhyno was stellar, he was a proper twat. As I read it back, I doubt they would book any of that, but I think that's where I'd want it to go.

I agree that he's a better babyface, and I personally think that a double turn would be a tremendous idea, but that's probably just us.

In an attempt to get Impact a bigger profile on here, I've started a *gasp* PPV thread!

Also, having watched that Joey Ryan video, I'm fairly happy it's a work - the chap has never dropped character ever, which I give him credit for. Perhaps he should start turning up at Impact and sitting in the crowd.

What's happening with Football Boy? Is he still quadraspazzed on a lifeglug?

IIRC he's out of hospital and it would be around another 10/11 months before he's back in the ring (if he even wants to return).

He was backstage at the live Impact last week.

Still in a wheelchair and neckbrace.

• Paid Members
The Joseph Park/Abyss angle and the Carter/Styles angle, while they may not have been his original thoughts in the sense he first came up with them, they are both credited to Eric Bischoff and he’s the one who okayed them being pushed prominently. Both are at this point considered major successes, especially the latter because it’s the first TNA angle which has shown the ability to move ratings, even if it’s just quarter ratings.

Eric%20Bischoff.jpg

"You're welcome"

EB has made Christopher Daniels a ratings draw. The man is a genius.

Archived