Impact Wrestling Discussion **UK SPOILERS**

iamtheman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was listening to a Jim Cornette podcast a couple of years ago, he was saying how Chris Daniels shouldn't have been released as he was a nice guy, never complained about anything and just got on with it. He said something along the lines of 'if it were me who had to put up with that, I'd mouth off at them but Chris is too kind to do that'.

Saying that, he did say that Tyler Black vs. Davey Richards was the Flair/Steamboat of our generation in the same podcast.

EDIT: Just realised he's still in the company and is a heel. Work?

Another edit: Yeah, it's a work. Unless you all know that and I've not realised. http://twitter.com/facdaniels/status/203306063401984000

I've never enjoyed Daniels more than I do now. He's finally realised that his "Fallen Angel" gimmick, whilst great on the Indies, never really meant anything and therefore didn't work on episodic tv. Right now he's a thoroughly unlikeable cunt who's totally in love with himself. His facials after winning the tag team titles was brilliant, and he continued all the way to the back where he was interviewed by JB looking like an invisible Velvet Sky was fellating him.

• Paid Members

Whilst Chris Daniels always did come across a bit indie, When he came back with the ramped up "Fallen Angel" charecter a few years back he looked the business! With the beard/face paint, as well as his super swish jacket, i thought He might actually get somewhere.

This version

Christopher_Daniels-3.png

He ended up getting battered by a returning low-ki, then was in a reunion with triple X, and got "Fired" before turning up as Curryman.

He just looks like an Emo with a health problem at the moment.

For anyone out in London this afternoon -

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

FANS IN LONDON: Bobby Roode will be making his official acceptance speech as the longest reigning TNA World Champion in history in front of Big Ben at 5:30pm TODAY! Show up and help him celebrate!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And here is your World Heavyweight Champion, Bobby Roode, live from London:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnawrestling?f...re=results_main

He looks and sounds every inch the champ, doesn't he? The crowd seem to favour him too. At some point he's going to end up a face again by default.

Whilst Chris Daniels always did come across a bit indie, When he came back with the ramped up "Fallen Angel" charecter a few years back he looked the business! With the beard/face paint, as well as his super swish jacket, i thought He might actually get somewhere.

This version

Christopher_Daniels-3.png

He just looks like an Emo with a health problem at the moment.

Disagree. I think it was a bit too camp and a bit too cult leader-esque for someone who couldn't carry off that character. I'm with Loki on Daniels' current character, he's pretty good as a slimy, shit-stirring heel and his current look fits that. He looks like what would happen if Marcus Hahnneman/The bloke out of the New Radicals/The lead singer of Orson had fallen on hard times and become a sleazy part-time bookie.

Impact was pretty good this week, again. LOVED the opening segment and if these unscripted promos are the norm going forward I'd be one happy TNA fan. Compelling stuff. Great main event too.

I find it curious that they've decided to kick off the first live show with essentially what should be the main event. Makes me wonder if they have something big planned for the actual main event.

• Paid Members

On one hand I found the opening segment utterly ridiculous, but on the other I found it reeeally entertaining. It was very meta.

The show as a whole was really good. They've found a great balance now where not many people are getting TV time without having some storyline, and those without reason to be on TV just aren't. Can't wait until it goes live.

I liked the idea and effort behind the opening segment in that rather than the usual "one guy coming out and then another and then another, then make a main event with them all" schtick we're used to, this was something different to try and make a wrestling relevant to a mainstream audience. I also thought everyone was excellent in their respective roles in terms of delivery and the content. However, as someone isn't a US reality TV fan, all the sound effects with the explosion sounds where a big line was dropped was a bit naff for me. It felt like the same criticism of Community where its Impact being meta and through the filter of a different genre. They've already had the talent show-esque vibe with the Gutcheck stuff from what I've read with the panel judges. Maybe next week, Impact will be a JJ Abrams high concept show, where the Impact Zone time travels to 2005 and the show cuts back and forth between the timelines and various paradoxes come up, like Roode is both in Team Canada and world champion.

Open Fight Night this week wasn't quite as good as the debut show, nor was it on par with the last few episodes of Impact recently, however it was still a decent show with some good stuff.

I LOVED the opening. So different to anything I've seen done in wrestling recently. There was definitely a 'reality tv' feel to it and was done very well, to the point where I wonder if any of what was said was a legit shoot? Bully Ray In particular I thought was excellent in this segment. If a couple of years ago you would have told me Bully Ray would be in the best shape of his career and arguably the best thing in TNA right now as a singles wrestler I'd have said you were a lunatic. But my god this guy just keeps getting better and better, and is probably the 1 guy in wrestling I feel right now can do nothing more to improve...he's absolutely PERFECT in his role.

I thought the opening tag match wasn't actually that bad if i'm honest. Nothing spectacular but was pretty fun for what it was.

Urgh Garrett Bischoff...they're really trying aren't they? Sticking him with Devon for a bit, maybe in a student/teacher capacity wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It certainly helped Jesse Neal way back in the day, so maybe it would make Garrett Bearable? In his defense it's not his fault he's being shoved down our throats, but TNA have to realise sooner rather than later that the fans just aren't behind him, and wont ever be behind him until he improves drastically. Why they had him as a face in the first place is beyond me. He'd have been far better off being debuted as Easy E's spoilt brat chicken shit heel son. I personally think that would have been the best way to start him off, or even, considering everybody knows he's new to the game, have him as a sympathetic underdog Ala early years Mikey Whipwreck or more recently Colin Delaney. He him get the piss beaten out of him on a regular basis but have him keep coming back and then pick up a flukey roll up victory further on down the line? The problem is he's already being booked as an equal to all the more experienced guys there which in all fairness is pretty damn insulting and is doing him no favours with the crowd, and i'd wager backstage either.

I also felt, as good a job as they did building up the main event this week with the backstage segments, they did the total opposite with Gut Check this week. Having 1 video package before the match itself is fine, but if they are really wanting to make this a big deal, they need to treat it as such and promote it throughout the night. Did they even mention Alex Silva this week? have they mentioned him since?? My one gripe with the whole concept is that, whilst its a great idea, they arent promoting it enough or putting over the fact that it's worth doing. Alex Silva hasn't had 1 second of screen time since winning, and if the reason is because he's not ready yet, then why the fuck give him a contract? He's in OVW so if he's not ready, say no for now then have him try again in a year or so.

I'm familiar with Joey Ryan as a name and from what I've seen of him in PWG video packages on youtube and a bit of WSX but that's all really. Is he worth having? I quite liked his character although it did come across as quite comedic in a Robbie E kind of way. It will be interesting to see if he does get a contract because he's showing was a lot better than Alex Silva's, he relatively better known, and actually has a character, so looking forward to the verdict next week.

Main event was a great contest and was miles better than their PPV showing a while back. AJ seems to be back to his best over the last couple of weeks so maybe this new storyline he has going with Dixie has him motivated again, or at least given him a kick up the arse. Not that he was bad, he just got a bit stale for a while but he obviously see's this storyline as a chance to re-establish himself as a main player in TNA.

Return of Sting was fairly obviously, but I liked it. It's not been long since he's been there but it's always nice when he makes his comebacks. Wish he'd stop wearing fucking t-shirts all the time though, makes him look a bit crap.

Overall I felt like they did a good job promoting the new time slot for next week, and it was a solid if not spectacular show. Nothing was absolutely unwatchable, and everything served a purpose, including RVD calling out Gunner which was nice of them to remember, although sucks for Gunner he keeps being jobbed out as he's probably got the best 'look' of anybody on that roster right now. Man looks like a fucking serial killer! Anyway I digress, good show, and as always looking forward to next weeks Impact.

Something that I thought I should bring up.

Longest Reigning TNA Heavyweight Champion is Bobby Roode but the longest Reigning World Heavyweight Champion in TNA wrestling is Jeff Jarrett holding the belt for 347 days. They constantly commented the on Bobby Roode is the longest reigning World heavyweight champion in TNA History NOT TNA World Heavyweight championship.

Nitpicking I know. Its been a dull day

I just found this on the Botchamania site

eo3lrw9t.jpg

Archived