30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles.jpg

Everytime I saw this in an Arcade in a Butlins or Pontins as a kid I almost pissed myself with excitement. There weren't any Arcades in my home town, so the chance to play it only came round every so often. A real treat. The artwork on the machine always made it seems so much more special than those other drab black boxes. The sound always seemed to be blasting out too.

tmnt_xbla_official.gif

Brilliant.

Ahh, my kind of question:-

Cabal:-

cabal-1.jpg

Still awesome. I still play it loads on my cab. Finished it a couple of times but it is well worth going back to. Used to spend all my money on it when I was 10 on a Sunday morning in the dodgy arcade in the back of the bargain shop opposite Burnage Community Centre.

I fucking love you Gladstone :love:

My post was going to be me trying to describe this game for the umpteenth time to blank looks because I haven't played it since I was 7 and have never been able to remember what it was called, but that was my shit back in the day.

We lived in a suburb of Madrid, opposite this disused lot of land, on the other side of which was the shopping mall. We used this as a cut through - me and my bro would get a handful of pesetas from my mum, fly out the door, scrabble up this steep hill through a hole in the fence at the top to come out in the parking lot of the shopping mall. Straight to the arcade, where we played this and one other game that I can't remember the name of*.

This mall also had the best sweet shop ever, which was where I discovered candy hamburgers.

This is one of my fondest memories of childhood.

* You played a ninja. All that I remember about it was that the Continue Screen was your man strapped down, with a rotating saw blade slowly lowering on him - if you didn't pump some more coin in, he got sliced as it went to the Game Over screen. Anyone?

Did it look like this?

171835885_b0acdb5a43.jpg

:p

Cabal was the shit, but I had completely forgotten about it until that screenshot. Nice one Gladders.

• Paid Members

There was video shop near me when I was about 10 that had a few arcade cabinets. They must've hired them but myself & a couple of mates used to live in there. Depending on who was working they used to open the door & give us a bunch of free credits for putting out returned video cases or nipping to the shop for them. It got to the point where my mate & I would request games when we heard one was due to be returned. They never got Streetfighter 2 or Mortal Kombat but some I can remember (we completed most of these too) :-

Turtles (4 player)

The Simpsons (4 player)

Final Fight (although this was called Final Crash for some reason?)

Pit Fighter (I creamed when this was in there one day as I'd only read about it in CVG at that point)

Aliens

Caveman Ninja

A 2 player cowboy game that was essentially a side scrolling shoot-em-up, I think I couple of levels were overhead but there was definitely a stage where you were running on top of a heard of cattle?

The WWF game (don't think it was Wrestlefest) that had DiBiase & Andre as the baddies & it spoke (terribly) with the Million Dollar Man saying 'I'll put you to sleep with my million dollar dream'

The 1st Mortal Kombat was mind blowing when I first saw it. I remember reading how to do the fatalities, mastering Johnny Cage & impressing a crowd at the Quasar by punching someone's head off.

• Paid Members

It was called Sunset Riders and I've been playing it recently too. It's great fun.

sunset-riders.jpg

Aliens was also a brilliant game - ridiculous it never got a home conversion, really, it was ideal for consoles.

That does look exactly like what I described, though not how my memory remembers it. What game is that? Does it feature a bit where your ninja has to get across the road without getting run the fuck over?

ninja_gaiden_arcade.jpg

Did the game look like this?

• Paid Members

They also had 1942 which was a vertical scrolling shoot-em-up where you were a spitfire & apparently had 'Combatribes' which I don't remember but have been informed it was 'A more cartoony version of Final Fight but was proper wank'.

Best Arcade Game

Afterburner II!

0After_Burner-machine.jpg

0.jpg

Followed by

WWF Wrestlefest

Point Blank

Sega Rally

Sega Touring Cars

OutRun

Space Invaders

Macross

Bank Panic

SF2 (Happy Birthday 20 today iirc)

As for the Cowboy train stuff that was mentioned about try also Iron Horse and Express Raider both set predominently on trains

Archived