30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Paid Members
I have all the consoles as well. I was more interested in the MAME part of the machine, to be honest, but it's pretty cool playing Wonderboy 3 or Mario Kart on a cabinet so it's a nice little bonus. The only thing is that it doesn't save games so there's no point in starting Mario World on it or anything, but for games that use passwords it's fine.

I've looked into adding a Commodore 64 and Atari ST emulator to it but you have to open it up, plug in a keyboard and mouse, get the internet hooked up, and it looks a right pain in the arse and I know I will pull a wire out somewhere and the damn thing would never work again. There is tonnes of memory on it though so I am determined to sort them out one day.

The MAME emulator I use I'm sure has some kinda save feature? I might be wrong for SNES and other stuff, it makes a save file that you have to delete if you want to play from the start tho, also if you have 2 save files of the same game it kinda just crashes the game. I was under the impression that most MAME cabinets are just for use of a better term "boxed PC's", sounds like you have a much more professionally built 1 then the 1's I was looking at. As adding games and having the net on them pretty much was all included (after all its a PC in a box). I think it might have been Majik who gave me a link to something on here how to make your own cab from scratch if you have the PC part of it. It involved a small amount of skill in carpentry and electronics's but seemed reasonable, the hard part was building it from cab itself on your own and installing the Joypad into the wood and getting the electrics right. When I can be arsed ill have a go but only if the Wife lets me I guess. Just need to persuade her she don't need a walk in closet and that what we really need is a old fashioned 80's arcade room. :laugh:

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Just need to persuade her she don't need a walk in closet and that what we really need is a old fashioned 80's arcade room. :laugh:

Wood panelled ceiling, mirrored walls and neon lights around the top?

It's really sad that the whole arcade scene has pretty much died here, kids nowadays will never know the thrill. I remember when I was, I guess just getting into my early teens and Sega World opened up in Bournemouth, it was like fucking heaven. The noise, the lights, the thrill of a major noew coin-op being released, the amazement at the graphics.

The one that really blew me away was Virtua Racing, the 6 player mega-cab with the screen up top with a commentator guy. 3-D graphics, for fuck's sake, running at breakneck speed in a 3-D world. In 3 short years we'd gone from

Hard Drivin'

Hard_Drivin

to this

220px-Virtua_Racing.png

I doubt we'll see such major leaps again.

• Paid Members

I know what you mean. The days of skimping on your school dinner, and then legging it up to the local computer shop that had Golden Axe and Final Fight, and using the money for credits.

And if you didn't get there early, you didn't get to play.

• Paid Members
It's really sad that the whole arcade scene has pretty much died here, kids nowadays will never know the thrill. I remember when I was, I guess just getting into my early teens and Sega World opened up in Bournemouth, it was like fucking heaven. The noise, the lights, the thrill of a major noew coin-op being released, the amazement at the graphics.

You know I totally never realized the lack of good arcades now. I guess the biggest problem is the fact that you can buy the games at home now. I have a friend who moved down to Newquay a good 10 years ago and he has to work 3 part time jobs due to the offseason type of work down there saying that his garage has a good 8 arcade machines the 1's I can remember are, Operation Wolf, The top down Space invaders table thing, Moonwalker (beat em up ), Sega Soccer, Virtual fighter 2, Some double machine that is a boxing game but the stick are like boxing gloves and if you play 2 player its you vs the other screen.

He always complains about having no cash due to the lack of work at certain times due to holidays season down there, I was asking how he had these machines and he said he has worked in that many arcades that go bump who owed him wages he ended up been given these due to his bosses not having enough money to pay him, so a few only cost him no more then

It will have to be Pokemon Blue for the sheer amount of fun it brought me as a kid. I didn't no anybody who didn't have Blue or Red and so it was ace to be able to talk everyone about it and battle them with that link cable you could get! Good, good times indeed.

Fire Pro Wrestling on the GBA. I think it must be welded to the slot, much to the detriment of my other GBA games. They are getting jealous and I think they are going to gang up on FPW and throw him away. He doesnt know what their plans are exactly but, i'm sure he is prepared to fight them off. Poor lil mite.

• Paid Members

Tetris hands down is the best handheld game but I remember getting a Gameboy for my birthday and my other fav game by Tetris was -

super-mario-land.jpg

Yes it was a very basic Mario game but thats what made it in my eyes, the difficulty level was just right as it was by no means a easy game but it always felt like it was getting a touch harder.

Another 1 of my Gameboy fav's was Balloon Kid.

Balloon-kid.jpg

Based on the NES game Balloon fight it was a side scrolling version of the game and was really underrated at the time, Of all the games I had on my Gameboy these 2 plus Tetris got the most playing time.

Thing is at the moment I have Resident Evil directors cut FF VII and Metal Gear solid on on my PSP. Thing is we all know those games was not made for handheld so I won't include them as I play those loads but my fav handheld game of all time is something cheep but does the job perfect.

boxshot_uk_large.jpg

I have spent more time playing this then any game I have in the house I would say, When your going away on holiday its the only game I bother taking. I know its not anything ground breaking but a hand held game should just be pick up and play, this game is perfect for that and it don't need much explaining to play. It can also be played anywhere which is a big plus for me.

• Paid Members

Pokemon_Red_GB.jpg

Never a huge fan of hand-helds, but Pokemon Red was always held highly in my regard.

Simple to play, and highly addictive, which is saying something for me, as I used to hate staring at a tiny green/black screen... I could easily do it for hours with Pokemon though.

Great stuff

• Paid Members

This is a tough one...the obvious choice is the Pokemon series...but I've a real soft spot for Zelda: Oracle of The Seasons, it's probably my favourite game in the series. Patchwork Heroes on PSP is great fun too, and I also LOVE Final Fantasy VI advance.

Game Dev Story on iPhone is great, addictive fun too. Same with Doodle Jump.

All in all, I love handheld gaming.

• Paid Members

Pokemon. Won't say a particular version as they're all essentially the same game, but having owned fire red, leaf green, ruby, sapphire, emerald and Diamond and having ploughed around 500 hours into them I couldn't really say anything else. Infinitely playable and always more to do.

Archived