30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Paid Members

SimCity, back in the day.

I thought "what... planning a city? Not running around collecting coins and jumping on things, fighting or shooting guns? Doesn't sound like much of a game."

But it was a superb escape, and highly addictive. Especially letting Bowser stomp on your Megalopolis.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So tomorrow's the last day already?! Jesus Christ, certainly doesn't seem like 30 days.

We've skipped a fair few days out so it's been just over 20 days. If anybody's got any ideas for questions please post them and we'll try and get it to the 30-day mark :thumbsup:

Have we done most underrated game? Or "obscure classic" (ie. a game that hardly any people seem to know about, but is well worth picking up)?

Yeah, I would go for the obscure classic one.

Other than that...

Best Multiplayer Game

Favourite Arcade Game (that presumably isn't Wrestlefest)

Favourite Handheld Console game?

Favourite Game Controller (maybe that's a bit autistic)

Greatest Gaming Annoyance

Game You Wish Would Have A Sequel

Biggest Gaming Disappointment

• Paid Members

McDonald%20Land_6.png

McDonald Land (Amiga/NES)

McDonald Land never ever seems to get the praise I think it deserves. It's a very competent platform game, probably one of the best for the Amiga system. It's heavily drawn influence from Mario, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're going to copy something it might as well be the one of the best platformers of all time. The game's fast, fun and frantic and doesn't really throw the license in your face bar the characters that show up, and the "M" signs you pick up along the way.

But yeah, excellent game, one I highly recommend you pick up if you ever get the chance. Hop on eBay NOW if you own a NES (unfortunately the Amiga version is harder to come by) and you'll be able to pick it up for a bargain price.

• Paid Members

pushover.png

Pushover (Amiga, 1992)

Probably my favourite ever puzzle game that doesn't involve green haired suicide-rodents. Incredibly addictive gameplay based on a kind of domino rally. Sponsored by Quavers the idea was to push over ever tile in one push. Different tiles did different things and once all tiles had fallen you could walk through a door to the next level. As an example, in the picture above the plain yellow tiles act just like a normal domino, they fall once, and once they have fallen than is them done, the one at the top with the single red line continues to roll after it is pushed, the solid red tile acts like a stopper in lemmings, and the tile with 3 horizontal red lines is the finish point. So picking up and moving the tiles into the correct positions (above) you could push the first tile, they would knock the roller off the top platform, it would roll to the stopper, then roll back on itself into the finishing tile. Obviously this is one of the very first levels, and they get very complicated after 20 or 30, with floating tiles, exploding tiles, tiles that split and fall both ways when one topples on it from above etc etc.

Never seemed to get the recognition is deserved, and I'm not sure how many people on here would have played it. There's a good freeware version of it online as I have it on my PC, so give it a go if you can find it.

Vigilante 8, Playstation

vigilante81.jpg

This is a game I never hear any mention of these days. I only ever had the demo for it, but that was plenty. A really enjoyable pick-up-and play destruction game.

Actually, I forgot all about what I'm going to put as my actually choice. THIS:

smallsoldiers1.jpg

smallsoldiers2.jpg

smallsoldiers3.jpg

smallsoldiers4.jpg

It was a cracking game and one that I spent a lot of time on as a kid, yet nobody seems to mention this one either.

• Paid Members
McDonald%20Land_6.png

McDonald Land (Amiga/NES)

McDonald Land never ever seems to get the praise I think it deserves. It's a very competent platform game, probably one of the best for the Amiga system. It's heavily drawn influence from Mario, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're going to copy something it might as well be the one of the best platformers of all time. The game's fast, fun and frantic and doesn't really throw the license in your face bar the characters that show up, and the "M" signs you pick up along the way.

But yeah, excellent game, one I highly recommend you pick up if you ever get the chance. Hop on eBay NOW if you own a NES (unfortunately the Amiga version is harder to come by) and you'll be able to pick it up for a bargain price.

Nostalgia!

Another game that had fallen out of my memory until today. Amazing.

• Paid Members

It's a great game, Piddlepants. Absolutely love it. I'll also throw in:

Cruise_for_a_Corpse_game_431.jpg

Cruise For A Corpse

Delphine's attempt at a point n'click adventure, and it worked out brilliantly. You're a detective, you have to solve a murder and it's pretty damn solid. I could never complete it, though I got further and further each time I tried to. The plot was intriguing, the characters were fun and it was a great premise - like playing through an Agatha Christie novel.

Cruise for a Corpse? Sound a bit... fruity, and the screenshot doesn't help :p

sentinel-returns_cover.jpg

Sentinel Returns

This game went practically unheralded on release, but it's a fantastic curio of videogame design, packed full of things you won't ever see in any other game. A sequel to the original 1986 cult classic, it's a brilliant modern update of the gameplay, which involves absorbing ojects from the world around you to gain power to create new avatars into which you can teleport, with the ultimate objective of absorbing the Sentinel at the heart of each mission. If his Sauron-like gaze should fall on you though....

Sentpc1.JPG

The whole thing was wrapped up in a truly inspired metagame that involved the whole world of The Sentinel being at the bottom of a microscope, a microbial scale world that the player controlled through steampunk-esque science. Add to that a soundtrack composed by John Carpenter (yes, THAT John Carpenter) and you've got a truly original experience.

The PC version is still knocking around the internet, and playable I believe. A real treat.

Archived