30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

It depends on what you class as best. Funniest, most quality etc.

But IMO as is a running pattern the best performance for any game is Mass Effect 2 with Female Shepard. Superb voice actress supplementing the best voice ensemble ever in a game. Always found the Male Shepard to be a nightmare to listen too.

Funniest has to go to House of the Dead:

Any really, just whatever game you consider to feature the best all-round voice acting.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, I'm a bit late to the party here but if you'll indulge me, I'll get up to date...

Your First Video Game:

Can't remember for sure, but I'll say Treasure Island for the Spectrum, because that's my earliest gaming memory.

Your Favourite Character

I feel bad saying Mario, because it's such an obvious choice, but I've bought pretty much every single game he's been in and they are almost all good. You can't argue with that! Having said that, I've always had respect for The Black Bomber from Bomberman

A Game That is Underrated

Without a doubt it has to be Little King's Story. The game is actually 'rated' highly by critics, but the game didn't sell well at all, which is an absolute crime. It's the best game to every come out for the Wii and is just a delight to play from beginning to end. For a game that is actually underrated by the masses, I'll say Super Mario Sunshine. I never understood the hate. A terrific game.

Guilty Pleasure Game

It depends on the definition, but a game I love and keep trying to get my mates to play (and they always humph about it but then enjoy) is the Mario Party series. Sure the games take too long, but they are fun!

Most Annoying Character

I've never even played Persona 4, but I've watched my brother play it, and thanks to the deeply annoying character Teddy I know I never will. Voice acting to set your teeth on edge.

Favourite Game Couple

It has to be either Banjo & Kazooie or The Hammer Brothers

Best Soundtrack

For the entire soundtrack it has to be Little King's Story again. They use classical music reworked by the game's composer and every single piece of music just 'works' with the setting its in. Absolutely tremendous. An honourable mention has to go to the theme from

Best Game Play

If you like wrestling games, it has to go to King of Colosseum II, but for general gaming, I would give it to Wario Ware for the Gamecube, mainly because anyone can play it. It's so simple.

Gaming System of Choice

The 360 *should* win this because it has the most going for it, and the N64 has a lot of classic games but has aged terribly, so I'm going to pull one out the hat and say the Gamecube. It's streets ahead of the Wii in terms of ease of use and has a ton of games (both single and multiplayer) that are still very playable and artistically valid to this day. If you were to ask me what the worst gaming system is, I'd say the PS3. I read someone say that if games consoles had personalities, then the PS3 would be a dickhead.

A Game Everyone Should Play

I'm obviously going to say Little Kings Story again, but to give you something different to go with, I'll say N+. Very simple, yet highly addictive - just like games should be.

A Game I've Played Through More Than 5 Times

Four spring to mind. Kings Quest 3, New Zealand Story, Super Mario Land and Double Dragon. That sort of thing wouldn't happen these days, but you did play older games more than once.

Most Overrated Game

This may cause debate but the entire Smackdown vs. Raw series. The games are terrible. The same problems exist now that existed in them 10 years ago. It's more like manuevering into cut-scenes rather than playing a wrestling game. The Money In The Bank Ladder Match is the most frustratingly bad game mode ever (because you can't win in under an hour), the Royal Rumble mode is so bloody easy if you are able to hammer buttons fast and top rope moves still don't work properly. Yet because there is a monopoly on wrestling games by Yukes, this is what we'll always get now.

Alternative choices can be Gears of War (I just haven't managed to enjoy these games in any way) and Sensible Soccer. I say Sensible Soccer because even today, some people will say that it's the best football game out there. No, it really isn't. It's terrible. Other games of the same era (Microprose Soccer and Striker to name two) were a lot better than it using the same top-down view.

Game With Best Cut Scenes

I always enjoyed the comic strip cut-scenes of Spiderman & Captain America in: Doctor Doom's Revenge. Seeing which Marvel Super Villain was coming next was always a thrill.

One thing I would say though is that I don't think I've ever seen better realised cut scenes than de Blob 2. It is almost Pixar level animation.

Favourite Antagonist

It has to be The Great Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day. The surprise of seeing a giant opera-singing shit coming out of the ground, complete with the dramatic music and then the song was probably my favourite gaming moment ever. Amazing.

Favourite Protagonist

I always had a soft spot for Leisure Suit Larry.

Favourite Game Setting

I'm a big fan of colour, so any game that presents a highly colourful environment gets my vote. For the complete package, Banjo Kazooie is a great game. You've got the Tropical Beach World, Haunted Mansion World, Christmassy Snow World, Forest World etc etc.

Favourite Genre

Other than the obvious (football games), I'd go with free roaming 3D platform games like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. There aren't enough of them these days.

Game With The Best Story

I'll give this to Paper Mario 2: Thousand Year Door. The story flowed very well and was actually pretty clever.

Game Sequal That Disappointed Me

Considering Burnout 3 was one of the best and most innovative games going, I'd have to give it to Burnout Paradise, which was dreadful in comparison. Racing games seem to be the worst for this, as I'll also nominate Mario Kart: Double Dash and Rallisport Challenge 2

Game I Think Has The Best Graphics or Art Style

When I first got the N64, Mario 64 and Pilotwings absolutely blew me away. As did Conker's Bad Fur Day. But probably for the time it was released, the best has to be Oblivion. It just looks so good.

On the flipside, I'd say the worst is Fallout 3. I just can't get into it because of the grim and colourless nature of it.

Favourite Classic Game

On the one hand, it's easy to give it to games like Pac-Man or Worms, but these have been re-released on new consoles. So to look back at games that have never had a re-release in recent years, I'd give it to either Penguin Wars, Theme Park, Day of the Tentacle or New Zealand Story.

A Game I Plan on Playing

I intend to play Assassain's Creed 2 and 3 soon.

Now that I'm up to date...

Best Voice Acting

Nothing touches Day of The Tentacle, which is incredible considering how old the game is. Yes, Mass Effect 2 was good but it wasn't fun or exciting. Oblivion has one of the worst examples, considering almost every secondary character is voiced by the same bloke.

Now that I'm up to date...

Best Voice Acting

Nothing touches Day of The Tentacle, which is incredible considering how old the game is. Yes, Mass Effect 2 was good but it wasn't fun or exciting. Oblivion has one of the worst examples, considering almost every secondary character is voiced by the same bloke.

Lol thats hilarious isn't it. I can't decide whether or not Oblivion and Fallouts voice acting is good or not. Something about it is just boring, not sure whether the acting itself is boring, or its boring because the characters just stand there completely still looking at you...

For me I'd go for Uncharted 2 for best voice acting, and maybe give Resident Evil a shout for pure "how did they get people to deliver these without falling on the floor laughing"

I'll echo Uncharted 2, and the first one for that matter, the voice acting all round is brilliant. Even though Nolan North is the vocal whore of the video game world, he's perfect as Nathan Drake. All the dialogue is superbly delivered and I expect nothing less from the third game later this year.

It's a tie between Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and probably Red Dead Redemption. I don't think any game has got dialogue up to "film" standards apart from possibly these two. There've been some AAA titles with really bad voice acting recently, Fable3 being one notable one.

• Paid Members

I think I'll have to chalk another day up to Vice City for voice acting. Ray Liotta is excellent throughout as Tommy Vercetti, there are brilliant small parts from Danny Trejo, Burt Reynolds, Tom Sizemore, Dennis Hopper, Gary Busey and Lee Majors. Danny Dyer plays probably the only part Danny can play, but is actually very funny as Kent Paul, probably the standout acting though is William Fichtner as Vercetti's paranoid coked-up lawyer Ken Rosenberg.

I think what makes this stand apart is partly the A-list cast and partly the fact that none of them read their lines in that snobbish "oh, this is for a video game?...urgh" tone that you so often get when Hollywood actors lend themselves to games.

Also, that's just talking about the in-game cast, if you count the voice acting for the links between songs and the talk stations (Lazlow and Maurice Chavez being among my favourites) then it's even more obvious the quality work that was put into the voice acting.

• Paid Members

"Jill, here's a lockpick. It might be useful if you - the master of unlocking - take it with you."

Best Vocal Performance: Rik Mayall in Hogs of War

Close the thread now :p

Absolutely. There are a few friends and I who still inappropriately entone 'baZOOkah!' at each other at every opportunity.

Resident evil 1 for me is memorable just because its so cheesy it still makes me laugh

Same here. "What happened to Jill and Wesker?"

Another one I liked is a game that nobody but me seems to remember:

600full-excalibur-2555-ad-cover.jpg

I still cherish lines like "Have you seen my Cecil?" and "This wood is wet, it won't burrrrnnnn!"

• Paid Members

Barry Burton's wonderful dialogue puts the original Resi and the remake at the top for me. I'm not sure if it's even the same guy that does him in the GC version, but he's just as great!.

"Jill HERE IS a lockpick, it might be handy if YOU the master of unlocking take it with you"

Whoever did the Tony Montana impersonation for the Scarface game deserves a mention as well.

Archived