UFC 128: Jones vs Shogun Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The non staredown at the prefight presser was great.

Jones walked towards Shogun looking to square up, Shogun just turns to face the crowd casually, so Jones follwos suit and sticks his hands in his pockets :) Great.

People begging for tickets piss me off!

• Paid Members

yeh strange little staredown...i think Shogun might have done that intentionally to try and kinda throw Jones off a little, I expect Jones expected something a little more intense.

• Paid Members

seriously cannot fucking wait for the main event Saturday....never before in the UFC has an up-and-comer stormed through opposition all the way to a title shot like Jon Jones has. The UFC thinks they have the next superstar on their hands, it's mental that in all the build-up to this fight it's been all Jon Jones, he's the one doing mainstream tv interviews, he's got his own tv special coming on, he's been talked about like he's the second coming. It's all pretty much justified as well, He's been near flawless in his UFC fights, he's got the look and cross over appeal dude seems the total package.

...having said that, has Jones attitude in the run-up to this fight kinda rubbed anyone else up the wrong way? No doubt Jones is a talent, but it seems like he's allowing everything to go to his head a little, he's pretty much looking past Shogun, he's talking as if he's already won the belt. He's alienated Rashad Evans to the point where Rashad looks as if he'll be fighting in with another camp. Although Jon Jones has always had an air on confidence about him, it seems like there's a little element of cockiness seeping in. I suppose it's hard to think otherwise when he's steamrolling opponents and being labelled as things like 'the Muhammad Ali of MMA'. If Jon Jones' head is well and truly on Saturday night and he disposes of Shogun (which i predict he will :(), the dude's gonna go supernova.

Being a bit of an old-school MMA fan though, it's hard not to root for the Pride guys...and it's been kind of depressing to see how little respect Shogun has been giving in the run up to this fight. It's probably to do with the fact that he's Brazilian and he's fighting the 'next big thing' American, but i was thinking last night of a possible top 10 greatest of all time type thing, and although i think many would object Shogun from that list, i think he well and truly deserves a slot in that list. Shogun has stumbled a couple of times in his career but he's always picked himself back up and won against the odds (kind of like Randy Couture has), he was the victor in arguably the greatest tournament in MMA History, he's won UFC gold and he's been mixing it up with the best in the world for over 5 years. Although i favour Jones on Saturday night, i will be rooting for Shogun, i'd love to see him upset the odds and prove just how good he is, a win for Shogun will certainly cement the fact that he's a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame (assuming the UFC takes Pride into consideration).

Shogun's poor form after returning from injury, and the fact that we've yet to see a chink of Jon Jones' armour means he's up against it, but i for one would love to see the humbling of Jon Jones,

• Paid Members

also can't wait for Crocop/Schaub. I think the UFC will cut Crocop if he loses this one. The old schtick before the fights with Crocop saying 'he's back' is getting a little old as he's continually failed to back it up, but the Pride-fan in my would just love to see him bust old the old form and win big. It's a great fight in that it's either gonna establist Schaub as a top 10 guy or it's gonna propel Crocop back in there. A passing of the torch kinda thing.

• Paid Members

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on the Jones/Shogun situation. It definitely seems like the UFC are putting a lot their eggs in a Jones shaped basket & if Shogun brutally KO's him early on I think they'll be eating humble pie. Jones is a legit monster, there's no denying his talent but I think Shogun's being massively overlooked. He beat Machida (twice IMO) when he looked unstoppable yet he's not getting the respect he deserves in a lot of places. I too will be rooting for Shogun, mainly cause I placed that bet last night. I told the missus & she said she hopes one of my picks gets beat early on the card as she knows that if Miller, Schaub & Faber all get the win & it comes down to the main event I'll be stood up screaming at the telly.

I think Schaub will take Cro-Cop without too much trouble. TKO via G&P in the 1st is my prediction. Mirko's never properly got over the Gonzaga KO IMO, it sucks seeing someone I used to love watching back in the Pride days having contests like he did with Mir. If he does go down to Schaub this weekend it's definitely time to hang em' up. I'd hate to see him go down the Coleman route where I find myself watching the fight through my hands praying he doesn't get too badly beat up.

• Paid Members

the countdown was pretty good for this one, i always enjoy it when you see people on there for the first time...the Faber/Wineland bit being an example. Uirjah Faber is the kind of guy i think at first glance you think you'll probably want to hate, but he's such a likable guy you can't help but he a fan. I'd f'n love to live on that block where he lives, i've heard about that place before in interviews, sounds wicked.

My breakdown of Jones and Shogun

I buy the Jones hype but I have serious reservations about this match up

Jones should be able to take down Shogun with ease and over power him and do some serious damage, he is by far the bigger and stonger man, however Shogun isnt a slouch on the ground, remember how he got up twice after Machida took him down that will be difference maker if Shogun can do that on Saturday, plus Jones did leave his arm dangerously out against Vera for a armbar and with Jones big arms I can see Shogun being able to lock in a armbar.

Also Shogun is by far still the more seasoned striker, if it was a straight K1 bout I would take Shogun, Jones could be a better striker one day but at the moment he isnt quite there,as it stands I have taken Jones to overpower Shogun on the ground and just win with his brute strength and size, is Shogun better technically on the ground? I believe so but I think Jones can just ragdoll a choke or use some GnP or Elbows which he has used to devastating effect before

Although I favor Jones this isnt Ryan Bader who I had no doubt with that Jones would beat or Rashad who im sure Jones would walk through, if Shogun lands the right shots standing on Saturday and wins I wont bat a eyelid, should be a massive fight with a insane atmosphere, I love the big fight atmosphere and on Saturday the pure curiosity of UFC most promising young star in company history facing the best fighter in his division should make for quite the scene and huge buyrate

I cant wait ;)

• Paid Members
...having said that, has Jones attitude in the run-up to this fight kinda rubbed anyone else up the wrong way? No doubt Jones is a talent, but it seems like he's allowing everything to go to his head a little, he's pretty much looking past Shogun, he's talking as if he's already won the belt. He's alienated Rashad Evans to the point where Rashad looks as if he'll be fighting in with another camp. Although Jon Jones has always had an air on confidence about him, it seems like there's a little element of cockiness seeping in. I suppose it's hard to think otherwise when he's steamrolling opponents and being labelled as things like 'the Muhammad Ali of MMA'. If Jon Jones' head is well and truly on Saturday night and he disposes of Shogun (which i predict he will :(), the dude's gonna go supernova.

Being a bit of an old-school MMA fan though, it's hard not to root for the Pride guys...and it's been kind of depressing to see how little respect Shogun has been giving in the run up to this fight. It's probably to do with the fact that he's Brazilian and he's fighting the 'next big thing' American, but i was thinking last night of a possible top 10 greatest of all time type thing, and although i think many would object Shogun from that list, i think he well and truly deserves a slot in that list. Shogun has stumbled a couple of times in his career but he's always picked himself back up and won against the odds (kind of like Randy Couture has), he was the victor in arguably the greatest tournament in MMA History, he's won UFC gold and he's been mixing it up with the best in the world for over 5 years. Although i favour Jones on Saturday night, i will be rooting for Shogun, i'd love to see him upset the odds and prove just how good he is, a win for Shogun will certainly cement the fact that he's a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame (assuming the UFC takes Pride into consideration).

Shogun's poor form after returning from injury, and the fact that we've yet to see a chink of Jon Jones' armour means he's up against it, but i for one would love to see the humbling of Jon Jones,

Yeah Jones has come off as a bit of a big head in the run up to this fight. He seems to be really buying into his own hype which is understandable in a way but if he does look past Shogun it could be a big mistake. At the minute his biggest wins are Brandon Vera and Ryan Bader. It's all been very impressive sure but if he's seriously overlooking any of the top 4 LHW's in the UFC, he's setting himself up for a humbling.

Jones saying stuff like he's already signing autographs as 'UFC champ Jon Jones' or whatever is showing signs he's maybe letting it get to his head. And for me all this God bothering stuff in his interviews is starting to grate a bit too. I love watching him fight, he's the new breed of freak athlete getting into MMA and it's a different way of fighting to anyone else in the sport IMO but when he gets a mic in front of him he does spout some shite :D

As for the Hall of Fame, if Shogun does beat Jones he'd surely have to go in at some point. In the UFC alone that would be 2 fighters (Jones/Machida) considered to be unbeatable who he's put away plus a KO over a fellow HOFer Chuck Liddell (past it or not it's still Chuck Liddell).

• Paid Members

Short vid of Shogun on ESPN's Sports Science

for what its worth Shogun had the hardest strike ever recorded on the show

Dana White UFC 128 video blog day 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voYnsI1WFFU

And as usual Ariel Helwani's got a bunch of interviews up on his youtube here

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArielHelwani?feature=chclk#p/u

Really quite a dull weigh-in, The crowd loved Faber and Crocop ( which makes me question if UFC will cut him if he loses) while Jones Shogun tried to build something but it just didn't work as jones seemed to be focused as hell.

• Paid Members

Weigh in results

MAIN CARD (pay-per-view)

-Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (205) vs. Jon Jones (205)

-Urijah Faber (135.5) vs. Eddie Wineland (135.5)

-Nate Marquardt (186) vs. Dan Miller (185)

-Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (229) vs. Brendan Schaub (245)

-Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Kamal Shalorus (155)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

-Luiz Cane (205.5) vs. Eliot Marshall (205)

-Edson Barboza (155.5) vs. Anthony Njokuani (155)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

-Ricardo Almeida (170) vs. Mike Pyle (171)

-Kurt Pellegrino (156) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)

PRELIMINARY CARD

-Joseph Benavidez (136) vs. Ian Loveland (135)

-Nick Catone (194) vs. Costantinos Philippou (195)

-Raphael Assuncao (145) vs. Erik Koch (145)

• Paid Members

Jon Jones quote

"I'm not 'Snake' or Overeem. Where 'Snake' was really good at striking, 'Snake' had zero physical strength. 'Snake' had zero wrestling, and 'Snake' had zero jiu-jitsu. So I'm not 'Snake.'

And when he says he's fought Overeem? Me and Overeem have similarities in being tall. I think I'm taller than Overeem. I know that my arms are longer. I think my strength could match to Overeem to where Overeem was in that point in his career. I look at myself as an Overeem with better wrestling, and better jiu-jitsu, and (a) more unpredictable style.

Where he's mentioned he's fought tall black guys before, (I'm) a lot different than both of those two.

I think he's going to rush me. I think he's going to rush me and look for that right knee. Maybe I'll go for a shot, and maybe I'll go for a face shot into an attack.

But I think he's going to rush me, and if he does, we'll be ready for that."

Yeah some of what he says here is right but fuck me, Jones is really loving himself at the minute ain't he?

Archived