UFC 128: Jones vs Shogun Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
The real test of Jones won't be winning the 205lbs strap, but defending it against some of the top talent in the division.

Shogun is one of the top guys in the division though ain't he? Aside from Jones - I'd say Machida, Rashad, Rampage and Shogun are the top 4, then you have the next level of guys like Griffin, Franklin, Thiago Silva, Little Nog etc. And there's Randy depending on where you rate him.

Lots of top level fighters who Jones hasn't faced yet. He might just buzzsaw his way through all of 'em and go on to be the greatest LHW of all time. Or one/some of them could expose a weakness and take advantage of it.

I get what you mean, it's always been said that defending a belt is a lot harder than winning it in the first place but he's got his hands full with Shogun IMO. If he beats Shogun he's the man until someone can prove otherwise.

I'll say it now I reckon Jones' toughest opponents out of them names are Shogun, Machida and Little Nog. All these guys have the ability to trouble Jones standing or on the ground and I could see Lyoto's karate style throwing Jones off.

We've seen what Jones does to wrestlers and I don't think Rashad/Randy would fair much better than Bader/Hamill etc. Rampage would have a tough time with his boxing style IMO. I think he's a bit too one dimensional to cope with Jones wacky offense.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anyway fuck all that how awesome is this card.

Faber vs Wineland is gonna be good. People might not give Wineland much of a chance here but he's a tough opponent. I do think Faber will win but it's not a gimme for him by any means.

Miller/Shalorus I'm going back and forth on. I'm leaning towards Miller, he's one of the toughest guys at 155 IMO. Good in every area and he's fought some of the best in the division. Shalorus is a bad fucking dude though, he could very well cause what would be considered a bit of an upset. I'm expecting this will be a great fight.

You'd think Miller would be knocking on the door of title contention with a win here. Maybe do Miller vs Siver or Guillard with the winner getting a crack at whoever's got the title after Edgar/Maynard/Pettis/Guida gets sorted out?

Marquardt/Akiyama is another possible FOTN. Nate's got something to prove after getting dominated by Okami. I'm thinking this will be a bit like Bisping/Akiyama with Akiyama having his moments but fading and Nate taking a fairly comfortable points win. Rooting for Sexyama though :) I want him to stick around, he's fun to watch and I still wanna see him vs Wanderlei.

Cro Cop/Schaub I'm going with Schaub by TKO. It's sad I'm not even really comvinced by Schaub, I don't think he's really all that good to be honest but at this stage I still fancy him to finish Mirko :( I can see this being it for Cro Cop in the UFC too.

Lots of good shit on the prelims.

Barboza vs Njokuani is the highlight for me. That's gonna be a crazy striking match. It's tought to call but I'll have Barboza in the 2nd by KO/TKO.

Pyle vs Almeida is one I'm hoping we get to see too. I'm really not sure with this one, might give a slight edge to Almeida just cos he's got the size advantage and better wrestling IMO but could go either way.

Looking forward to Benavidez/Loveland, Pellegrino/Tibau and Cane/Marshall too. Great bunch of fights, Joe Silva is on top form.

The real test of Jones won't be winning the 205lbs strap, but defending it against some of the top talent in the division.

I agree and disagree about that. Defending the title is a true test of a fighter but at the same time, Shogun is the best in the division at this time and in essence he is the real test for Jones.

In any case, I think the real test in Jones whole career will be how he'll cope making his way into the Heavyweight division - as he has said he fully intends to move up in weight in the next couple of years once his body is fully developed.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think pryko's nailed it.

The cards lately are so insanely stacked, especially since the merger with WEC, that they simply can't fit everyone on the televised portion. That's probably why we're seeing such a rise in prelims getting aired on Spike, Ion and Facebook.

I'd be quite happy watching Prelims for every show, whether they get shown on ESPN or on Facebook. If the UFC put them on Facebook, you get the chance to watch them if you want, or not if you don't. I know i heard someone mention that sometimes too many fights may ruin the PPV, but for me that's not the case. I'd watch every fight of each UFC card if i could

I'd be quite happy watching Prelims for every show, whether they get shown on ESPN or on Facebook. If the UFC put them on Facebook, you get the chance to watch them if you want, or not if you don't. I know i heard someone mention that sometimes too many fights may ruin the PPV, but for me that's not the case. I'd watch every fight of each UFC card if i could

Yeah, same for me.

Thats what pisses me off with live events aswell. Alot of people get there just as the main card is starting - I'm there for the first fight of the night everytime.

Another great looking card, I really can't wait for this one. I like both guys in the main event but i'll be supporting Rua. I won't be too suprised if Jones walks through him though, it's a very interesting fight either way. I have to agree with everyone predicting a Schaub win, I think he'll finish Cro Cop in the second.

I'm really hoping we get the Almeida and Tibau fights on Facebook. I can't believe neither of those fights even made the Spike prelims, it really does show how stacked this event is.

• Paid Members

Yeah, same for me.

Thats what pisses me off with live events aswell. Alot of people get there just as the main card is starting - I'm there for the first fight of the night everytime.

Too right, I've never understood that. Why would someone pay for tickets and then turn up halfway through the card? Doesn't make any sense to me. You wouldn't get tickets to a football match and turn up at half time.

I've noticed this at each UFC I've been to and it seems to be mainly the floor seats that are empty early on which I find odd cos they don't come cheap. Fuckers must have money to burn. The cheap seats were pretty rammed from the first prelim on for UFC 89 if I remember right.

First UFC card in a long time that has me intrested and that has to be down to the fact that I dont think Shogun can stop Jones. I'm trying to stay away from watching pre hype vids etc as I dont want to build this fight up in mind and be disappointed in the end.

Archived