UFC 128: Jones vs Shogun Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
So, you have to ask who would pay to watch Jones decimating his opponents every PPV? If you already know the outcome, why pay to watch the fight?

Whilst having a face of a company is great, is having someone who is another league to his opponents a healthy thing for business?

Lots of people, anything can happen in MMA, the people that pay to buy events know this. At one point all the champions looked unbeatable, BJ Penn, GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida & Lesnar. 3 of those have been strongly beaten and one only just held on to his title. Anything can happen, eventually someone will have Jon Jones' number.

This. Has always been the case in MMA.

Personally, if I was Rashad I'd be looking to get Jones down and keep him there for 3 rounds, boring as that may be, to tire him out then go on the attack in the championship rounds. Theres one apparent hole in Jones's game at the moment, and he'll sort that out as he gains more experience so Rashad needs to pounce on it quickly.

Oh and just to add my thoughts, fun event with some brutal knockouts. Looking forward to seeing Urijah get his shot and what else needs to be said about Jones? The hype is justified and then some, made Shogun look absolutely schoolboy.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
So, you have to ask who would pay to watch Jones decimating his opponents every PPV? If you already know the outcome, why pay to watch the fight?

Whilst having a face of a company is great, is having someone who is another league to his opponents a healthy thing for business?

Lots of people, anything can happen in MMA, the people that pay to buy events know this. At one point all the champions looked unbeatable, BJ Penn, GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida & Lesnar. 3 of those have been strongly beaten and one only just held on to his title. Anything can happen, eventually someone will have Jon Jones' number.

This. Has always been the case in MMA.

Personally, if I was Rashad I'd be looking to get Jones down and keep him there for 3 rounds, boring as that may be, to tire him out then go on the attack in the championship rounds. Theres one apparent hole in Jones's game at the moment, and he'll sort that out as he gains more experience so Rashad needs to pounce on it quickly.

Oh and just to add my thoughts, fun event with some brutal knockouts. Looking forward to seeing Urijah get his shot and what else needs to be said about Jones? The hype is justified and then some, made Shogun look absolutely schoolboy.

Agreed, Theres always someone than can get a guys number, as the other dude said, we see it all the time.

He's not really there yet, but I'd love to see Phil Davis/Jones match down the line. 2 freak athletes. Would be great.

Can't see Rashad having anything for Bones. Rashad only has the takedown, and we saw how Jones effortlessly stuffed everything Bader attempted. Not good for Rashad.

I think Jones is going to be champ for a long time after Saturday night, keep in mind though I also said that about Machida, on the subject of Jones being too dominent. I think a long reigning Champion at 205 is what the UFC need. Zuffa have struck gold with Jones, he is young, exciting, handsome, creative and PR Dream (the catching of the criminal before winning the title you couldnt make up), the haters online I complained about before the fight are certaintly the minority after Saturday night

Also despite me believing that Jones will reign for years below are possible match ups that are marketable for Zuffa to promote for Jones in the next few years

- Rashad

- Rampage

- Thigo Silva ( Pending suspension)

- Machida

- Davis

- Hamill

- Hendo

- King Mo

- Mousasi

- Anderson

- Forrest

With all these floating around under Zuffa contract, Joe Silva has a easy job even if Jones starts being dominant, I think Jones will grow into UFC biggest draw and the face of the company provided Lesnar doesnt make a comeback and win the belt.

Elsewhere

- Faber had a slow start but looked the part, ill look forward to him against Dominic Cruz

- Jim Miller deserves a title shot, if he was in any other division he would get one, 155 is insane, but I guess he has to wait for Pettis vs Guida and the title rematch

- Cro Cop I take it will go back to Japan, not sold on Schaub though

- Marquart at 170 could be interesting, new blood for the likes of Kosheck and Alves to fight

EDIT: One other thing I noticed that hasnt been mentioned was I really thought Jones looked scared walking into the octagon, at one point I heard him take a deep breath and say in a hesistant tone "lets go" it didnt effect him obviously but I thought he was going to freeze after seeing that ring walk

Never in doubt for me, the first time I ever saw Jones I thought he could dominate the division. I never thought it'd come so soon that he got his shot at the title, but he's destroyed everyone put against him and looked to do it with so much ease its untrue. Is there anyone at LHW that can even trouble him? Anderson Silva I doubt would jump up to LHW and unless Jones mixes it up at Heavyweight in a few years he can sit on the LHW crown for a while yet.

I remember everyone saying the same thing about Machida. Remember all the talk about "the Machida era"?

Yeah. Let's not forget that Shogun hasn't fought in a long time and is coming off a few years of horrendous injuries, not to mention a career of Pride and Chute Boxe. I'm not saying Jones isn't a freak who looked incredible, but everyone should remember "THE MACHIDA ERA!!!!!" before they start talking about Jones being unbeatable. He looks incredible right now. That's good enough. If he can be the first champ in what, four years, to hold on to the belt past his first defence (I don't count Machida, because he should have lost that first Shogun match) then we can talk about his super-dominance. Until then, he's a very talented kid who looks like he poses some serious challenges to the rest of the division.

I pick Rampage to beat him, btw.

• Paid Members

I was astonished at how easily Jones beat up Shogun. One of the most dominant performances I can remember seeing, particularly in a World Title fight. The kid is money. I can see why people are predicting utter dominance.

Shogun obviously wasn't 100%, but there was talk after the fight about him going to MW. Could mean that he himself believes he can't beat Jones.

Or, like a lot of the older PRIDE guys, he's seeing that he can easily drop a weight class when he's not fighting in Japan.

Heres a clip from the press conference featuring Jones. click.

He speaks (alot) about the mugging incident pre fight and a few bits on the fight itself.

Again people will probably say he comes off as arrogant and some will say he's just confident, but Jon Jones is sure to become the face of the UFC. Very marketable, Likes to talk it up, and so far, a wrecking machine. Can only be good for the UFC and MMA.

Whilst i dont disagree, for a discussion sake, is this true? The problem with Jones is simple, I cant see anyone beating him. For me, none of the current crop of top contenders could stand a chance against Jones. So, you have to ask who would pay to watch Jones decimating his opponents every PPV? If you already know the outcome, why pay to watch the fight?

Boxing had a similiar situation with Mike tyson, he looked unbeatable but was still a huge PPV draw, people will buy out of intrest to see if whoever he is fighting can bring something new to the table

and people like a strong champion, people will pay to watch somebody fight brilliantly

• Paid Members
Shogun obviously wasn't 100%, but there was talk after the fight about him going to MW. Could mean that he himself believes he can't beat Jones.

Or, like a lot of the older PRIDE guys, he's seeing that he can easily drop a weight class when he's not fighting in Japan.

Yes, but surely he hasn't just realised that now? Jones dominating him is bound to be part of that.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that moving to middleweight is going to be easier than, well, anything. Silva has actually shown that he's virtually unbeatable. Maybe it really is that Shogun realises that the size differences with weight-cutting make it silly for him to try to compete with giants like Jones and Griffin and all the rest.

• Paid Members

Jumping ahead massively here but I think we'd all like to see Silva/Shogun if he were to go to MW. The GSP/Silva superfight seems to have hit the wall. GSP continues to imply that he doesn't want it, and Dana has backtracked a bit also, considering he was saying it was a done deal a month or 2 ago. If it doesn't happen, more credible challengers at MW for silva is a must.

Archived