UFC 128: Jones vs Shogun Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

i was away all weekend and only just got to see the show, i'll post some thoughts up tomorrow, but...

been a few comments on here about Jon Jones looking tired in the fight? am i only the one here who 100% disagree's with that? Jones for me just looked totally relaxed, he made everything look so effortless. The lack of emotion in his face as he's fighting is actually pretty scary.

The main event itself for me was very depressing to watch. There's something about seeing the guys i grew up watching getting their asses handed to them that's upsetting. Pretty much all the guys that were beasts when i started watching the sport are now looking second rate, i know it's as much to do with the quality of the fighters improving as much as it is physical detororation but it's still sad to see.

I kinda had a feeling the main event would go like it did but i had hopes for Shogun...the fact that it was so one sided and Shogun looked well and truly outclassed everywhere made it tough to watch. As soon as Shogun got up after the initial ground scuffle i knew it was over, he just looked done. I'm starting to think that all the talk of Shogun looking horrible again Coleman/Forrest wasn't so much that he was injured, more that Shogun just does not deal well with pressure. He's never looked the most physically gifted athlete and maybe you have to question how hard he trains, but cardio-vascular conditioning is clearly a problem when he's forced to exude a lot of force grappling...Jones did this early and it fucked Shogun up, after that even his striking looked terrible (as it has when he's gassed out in the past).

As good as Jon Jones clearly is, i think Shogun was kinda made for him style-wise. I think Rashad Evans offers a much stiffer challenge in that he's more of an athlete himself, he's got a solid wrestling base and Rashad's striking is much more explosive than Shogun's. I know it's probably nothing, but i got the impression Jon Jones wasn't looking forward to the fight at the end, i dunno whether that's because he was pissed that they forced them to try and kind of sign the contract in the cage or that Jones knows that Rashad can give him some serious problems.

Either way, it's a money fight in terms of build-up...the UFC gets so lucky with some of these storylines that come out of fights, it's almost like some fuckers booking this shit backstage.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
been a few comments on here about Jon Jones looking tired in the fight? am i only the one here who 100% disagree's with that? Jones for me just looked totally relaxed, he made everything look so effortless.

Gotta disagree with you there Ebb, he was breathing very heavy when on top of Shogun in the 2nd round - breathing from his mouth aswell not his nose.

Everyone I watched it with noticed that aswell.

• Paid Members

i think that more him relaxing, you always hear corners shout 'breath', fighters gas themselves out by not breathing and saying tense, i thought Jones looked the complete opposite. Did them strikes he threw look like strikes coming from someone who was running out of enery?

I've only seen it once so i'll watch it again, maybe i am wrong.

• Paid Members

Even if he was tired (I don't think he was) Look at what he did to Shogun. A perfect performance, domination.

I would put the heavy breathing down the nerves/anxiousness... it was the biggest fight of his career, it's bound to play a part.

The only criticism I have of Jones (and it's perhaps a tad ridiculous to have any considering how he won the fight) was that he didn't close Shogun down after catching him with that knee against the cage in the 1st. Shogun was all over the place after it.

I pick Rampage to beat him, btw.

Really??

As much as I love/loved Rampage, I get so frustrated with his performances. The Griffin and Rashad fights really sting me. I pray for some utter dominance from him, and it doesn't come.

I cant see him dominating Bones.

(and im not a jones nut hugger btw)

• Paid Members
The only criticism I have of Jones (and it's perhaps a tad ridiculous to have any considering how he won the fight) was that he didn't close Shogun down after catching him with that knee against the cage in the 1st. Shogun was all over the place after it.

Yeah after that spell I thought Shogun was ready to be finished. It's a massive credit to Jones though to stay completely composed and not fly in. He took his time and pounced when he knew for sure Shogun was done.

I pick Rampage to beat him, btw.

Really??

As much as I love/loved Rampage, I get so frustrated with his performances. The Griffin and Rashad fights really sting me. I pray for some utter dominance from him, and it doesn't come.

I cant see him dominating Bones.

(and im not a jones nut hugger btw)

I didn't say "dominating". I said "beat him". Don't ask me why. I'm not exactly sure. I just see Rampage as the kind of guy that Jones won't find so easy. One of the things everyone keeps saying is that Jones hasn't ever really been hurt. I can see Rampage hurting him and I think Rampage's defensive wrestling is way under-rated. He's also got a pretty impressive chin. If he's in shape, I think Rampage can and will give Jones a hell of a fight.

• Paid Members

^ exactly ^ (aimed at Piddlepant's comment)

you see people rush in and get caught or they blow their wad trying to finish...lets remember who he was fighting, Shogun has been in some real tough spots before and came out ok. Jon Jones' composure and calmness in the cage is unnerving. If anyone picks faults with Jones' performance, it's nitpicking.

As for Jones' opponents i think he defeats most light heayweights, but there's a few i think that stand a good chance. Rashad is definately one of them.

hahaha, what a fucking moron. Phil Davis is the man.

Those black guys alll look the same don't they? :laugh: I really can't see anybody at 205 beating Jon Jones, exept maybe Phil Davis in a year or two. His reach is just far to long for most of the guys there but Rashad should do a little better than Shogun on his feet if he stays on his bike and doesn't get taken down.

Jones looks to have the best GNP in the sport right now but he should cut the chin butts as I think they are still illegal.

• Paid Members

yeh, that ground and pound is brutal. Jones' natural size gives him some unique advantages.

I think Rashad will do better than Shogun specifically because he's more explosive, Shogun's always been kinda slow where Rashad has the kind of explosive punching and wrestling that will match up better. The way Jones is going it's hard to pick against him but i seriously think Rashad will give him a lot more trouble than Shogun...the build up could be great too.

• Paid Members

few other thoughts on preceedings:

* Marquadt/Miller was good, i was hoping Miller would pull it off from a betting standpoint and almost shit my pants when he grabbed a couple of them guillotines but Marquadt was text book in getting out of them, stayed calm, and just slowly escaped, great example of how to get out of a choke. Very surprised to hear Marquadt talk about dropping to 170. He's always looked one of the bigger guys at 185. He could be freaking beast at 170 though...stupid how he talked about dropping down to go for the title at 170 then in his next sentence talking about training with GSP, what the fuck?!

* Miller/Shalorous was another showcase for why Jim Miller should be in serious contention for a title. Consistently good, he can be scrappy but he knows how to win f'n fights. Shalorous proved a gamer again, the guy's got a cast iron jaw but he needs some new tricks. He has such a good wrestling base that he pretty much ignores. He talks about standing and giving the fans what they wanna see, but still...

* Barboza/Njokuani was a fun fight that was kinda harmed by a flat crowd reaction, I think it was all square and was possibly leading to an Njokuani decision until Barboza pulled out the takedown/moviekick combo at the end, spectacular stuff. Barboza is definately a talent.

* Urijah Faber's UFC debut wasn't the showcase i think the UFC were hoping for. Eddie Wineland did himself no f'n harm though, no one expected him to do well but he won the opening round and showcased some of the best takedown defence ive ever seen. The problem is i think Wineland was fighting to avoid what Faber was throwing at him instead of attacking himself. Not that Faber looked bad, it's just i think the UFC was hoping for some grand performance that they could sell the Cruz title fight with. Rumour is that Cruz/Faber were lined up for the TUF job but Dana changed his mind after Faber's performance?

* Did anyone think the crowd was fairly flat througout? even when the NJ natives were fighting the crowd didn't really get behind em.

* Ice-T.

* Sad to see Crocop get KO'd again. Honestly until he got dropped i thought Crocop was putting in a pretty decent performance. He's lost the sharpness of old without doubt, but he was giving Schaub some fits in there (who doesn't look like he enjoys things when the going gets a bit tough). The KO itself was horrible, the way Crocop landed was pretty scary. Definately time for him to hang em up, like he said previously he doesn't fight for money he just fights for himself to show he can still compete, he did that against one of the top up and comers in the sport. The fact that the lights were swtiched off again means he should pack it in, it aint good for his health. Still, what a f'n career!

* Luiz Cane looked pretty spectacular, big comeback for him. I expect Elliot Marshall to be cut again, i don't think he did anything to prove that he deserves to be in the UFC.

* The card definately left me a little sadenned, just seeing some of my favorite fights lose so horribly and kind of show that they are no longer the elite is kind of a tough pill to swallow, but the up and coming fighters in MMA are just on a whole other level. I dread to think what they'll be like in 10 years-15 years.

• Paid Members

Mirko really has some horrible falls after being Ko'd. It looks like he's really trying to break his ankle. The way he just dropped with all that weight under it :crazy: Very similar to the Gonzaga one.

ufc70_10_gonzaga_vs_crocop_011.jpg

Nasty

Archived