• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What's people's predictions then?

I'm going with

(MAIN CARD)

Shogun Rua vs Jon Jones

I stand by my original prediction of Jones by stoppage but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Shogun KO's or submits him. Everyone's got weaknesses and I still say we don't know enough about Jones to say he's invincible. Even if Shogun loses I could see him exposing weaknesses the next opponent for Jones could possibly use against him.

To be honest the closer it gets the more I'm thinking Shogun might pull it off. I can't figure out if all this shit Jones is coming out with is cause he's pumped up or if he's feeling the pressure.

I'll stick with my first gut instinct and say Jones by KO/TKO, Round 3, probably ground and pound I reckon

Urijah Faber vs Eddie Wineland

Wineland's a game opponent and it's a huge opportunity for him. He's not someone to take lightly but I think Faber's gonna be just too much for him. I think Faber's just better everywhere than Wineland and his BJJ will probably be the difference.

I'm going Faber by submission, round 2

Jim Miller vs Kamal Shalorus

This is a really tough fight IMO. I think Miller's the better fighter technically but Shalorus is dangerous and unpredictable. He's got really solid grappling and heavy hands and if he lands a bomb he could upset Miller. I'd say Miller's experience against top lightweights and his toughness will help him out and I think his cardio is probably better.

I'll say Miller by decision

Nate Marquardt vs Dan Miller

Nate usually looks like a beast unless it's a title/contender fight. Miller's got great BJJ, if he gets Marquardt on his back he'll probably do well. Sonnen and Okami used that strategy in the past. But Miller's not nearly the wrestler Chael is, and not as big or strong in the clinch as Okami.

If he can't get Nate down he's in trouble IMO. Miller's improving his stand up but I think it's fair to say that's his weakest area. I can see Nate sprawling and picking him apart standing all night to be honest. Probably look like Bisping/Miller. I'd love to see Miller win though. I like both the Miller brothers.

Marquardt by decision

Mirko Cro Cop vs Brendan Schaub

This fight saddens me. I really don't think Schaub is that good. He's big, pretty good on the feet, decent wrestling. But really nowt special IMO. Yet still I'm picking him to give Cro Cop a pasting :( that's what it's come to now for Mirko, the expectations are so low.

I still think the Mir fight was a great style match for him and he couldn't pull the trigger and it ended up being probably the worst MMA fight of 2010. He just doesn't have it anymore, I'd still love to be proved wrong but he's clearly just fighting for the dough now. He's not in very good shape these days physically and his heart's not in it anymore.

Schaub's got some good power in his hands and if Mirko comes in sluggish and hesitant like we've come to expect then I see Schaub finishing him.

Schaub by KO/TKO, round 3

(SPIKE/ESPN PRELIMS)

Luiz Cane vs Eliot Marshall

The staredown at the weigh in was intense. Cane really needs to get back on track coming off 2 KO losses. He'd looked like a contender before the Little Nog fight. Marshall's a late replacement and has nothing to lose, we've seen in the past them guys are dangerous (Ebersole/Lytle).

Marshall would probably have the edge on the ground but I think Cane can keep it on the feet and I think he's a better striker than Marshall, although Marshall's lanky and his reach could be tricky. Probably be a good scrap this one.

Cane by decision

Anthony Njokuani vs Edson Barboza

This could be FOTN. Both have some wicked striking. Barboza should be the better grappler being a BJJ purple belt. I think this will stay on the feet though and it's anyone's guess what happens then. Whoever lands a big one first I suppose. Can't wait for this one.

I'll go with Barboza by KO/TKO, round 2

(FACEBOOK PRELIMS)

Ricardo Almeida vs Mike Pyle

Tough fight to call. 2 of the best submission artists at 170. Almeida's more accomplished but I think Pyle puts his BJJ and strikes together a little better. This might be a case of 2 grapplers cancelling each other out and turn into a stand up fight. I'd give Pyle the edge standing but Almeida's stand up ain't too bad despite the surprise knockdown by Matt Hughes.

Almeida's bigger and probably got better wrestling and I think he'll be able to control where the fight takes place and the pace of the fight.

Almeida by decision for me

Kurt Pellegrino vs Gleison Tibau

This is another hard call. I think the injury troubles and layoff for Pellegrino might effect his performance here and Tibau's a handful anyway. Much bigger and stronger than Batman with some solid wrestling, BJJ and striking.

I'll have Tibau by decision

I hate Jones. I hope Shogun kicks his face off.

Interestingly ive seen a lot more of this the past few weeks

Whilst Lesnar who is a huge draw gets this due to his pro wrestling background and knuckledragger personality and Anderson Silva gets it due to his erratic and frustrating performances, it is worrying that a lot of fans are turning on Jones already as he is the fighter I believe Zuffa are banking on to be the face of the company in the long term, now Lesnar has been dethroned and Liddel has retired. GSP and Liddel never got this sort of hatred from the fans during their rise and peak and even in the case of Liddel his downfall.

Id like to know what Jones is doing to rile up some fans this much? I havent seen many interviews he has done to be honest, but his performances in the octagon have been early Mike Tyson scary in places.

Whilst Lesnar who is a huge draw gets this due to his pro wrestling background and knuckledragger personality and Anderson Silva gets it due to his erratic and frustrating performances, it is worrying that a lot of fans are turning on Jones already as he is the fighter I believe Zuffa are banking on to be the face of the company in the long term, now Lesnar has been dethroned and Liddel has retired. GSP and Liddel never got this sort of hatred from the fans during their rise and peak and even in the case of Liddel his downfall.

Id like to know what Jones is doing to rile up some fans this much? I havent seen many interviews he has done to be honest, but his performances in the octagon have been early Mike Tyson scary in places.

He hasn't done anything, some people just like to hate on talent these days for some reason. Jones has always come across as a nice guy and he's had some amazing impressive performances, he's currently my favourite fighter going but you will unfortunatly get someone who always hates on the prospect or the established guy for usually very little reason.

I don't mind Shogun, but I'm so looking forward to seeing Jones win if he can tonight, he's on another planet so early on in his career I can just see him taking the belt hopefully! :)

He hasn't done anything, some people just like to hate on talent these days for some reason. Jones has always come across as a nice guy and he's had some amazing impressive performances, he's currently my favourite fighter going but you will unfortunatly get someone who always hates on the prospect or the established guy for usually very little reason.

I don't mind Shogun, but I'm so looking forward to seeing Jones win if he can tonight, he's on another planet so early on in his career I can just see him taking the belt hopefully! :)

Some fans do not agree

After a quick scout of various places I have found the following that have been mentioned as reasons for disliking Jones

- A anti view on marijana

- Cocky comments going into this fight

- His Religion

- Snitching on kids as a youngster (Im not making this up)

I agree this hate for Jones could be down to what you said of people just hating for the sake of it or very little reason behind it as some of the reasons above are very trivial

• Paid Members

I think with Jones, it helps him to believe his own hype. He's mentioned a few times that he believes saying the things he does (That he think he can beat Shogun) and doing some of the things he does (signing autographs as champion already) helps him mentally and gives him something extra. If he can invisage it happening, then he's already one step on the way to being the LHW champ.

It may come off a bit brash, but if he backs it all up tonight and gets the job done, I doubt he'll care too much about how people are reading into it.

What has put me off Jones lately is his change of attitude & the childish manner he has handled things.

Signing 'Jon Jones - Champion' when doing autographs is pretty childish, saying he had better ability than Overeem already & the way he has dealt with the Rashad situation aswell (with him refusing to even answer questions about Evans). As Rashad said himself "when you replace an injured team-mate in a title fight, you've gotta expect people to talk about it".

I'm guessing you weren't a fan of MMA in the PRIDE days?

Shogun was the same age as Jones when he went on a tear in PRIDE, plus he had beaten bigger names than Jones has in this time - Rampage, Overeem, Lil Nog, Gono ect.

I feel Shogun's frustration when everyone is on about Jones being a class above and the heavy favourite. I'm just glad we'll finally see a fully fit Shogun in the UFC with no knee issues.

At first I was just hoping for a good fight between two good fighters but now I'm hoping Rua KO's him.

What has put me off Jones lately is his change of attitude & the childish manner he has handled things.

Signing 'Jon Jones - Champion' when doing autographs is pretty childish, saying he had better ability than Overeem already & the way he has dealt with the Rashad situation aswell (with him refusing to even answer questions about Evans). As Rashad said himself "when you replace an injured team-mate in a title fight, you've gotta expect people to talk about it".

Shogun was the same age as Jones when he went on a tear in PRIDE, plus he had beaten bigger names than Jones has in this time - Rampage, Overeem, Lil Nog, Gono ect.

I feel Shogun's frustration when everyone is on about Jones being a class above and the heavy favourite. I'm just glad we'll finally see a fully fit Shogun in the UFC with no knee issues.

At first I was just hoping for a good fight between two good fighters but now I'm hoping Rua KO's him.

Nope I've not long gotten into MMA gotta be around the time UFC 100 came or just before when Brock was signed up, thats when I became heavily interested in MMA and moreso UFC, I tend to only really watch UFC as it goes and I've got nothing against Shogun as I've said but Jones has always entertained me, he's always deadly, throws amazing kicks, elbows and throws people about with the skill and technique of a champion. I like the flashy fighters who are effective, which is probably why I like Jones.

My predictions for tonight are Rua, Faber, Jim Miller, Marquardt and Shaub.

The Rua - Jones fight has been great to read about, so many different opinions on this fight, i'm just hoping it lives up to the hype. The way I see it playing out is Jones coming out strong and getting it to the ground early but getting swept and beat up by Rua. I'm going for Rua by first round TKO. I just hope Rua comes back strong from the lay off, if he doesn't it could be a bad night for him.

I think Wineland could put up more of a fight than most people are expecting, Faber should still be able to see him off though. I'm not Faber's biggest fan but I think he should win this with a sub in round 2.

If Shalorus comes in with a solid game plan it could be a tough night for Jim Miller, but I think Miller is for real and he's really pushing for a title shot at the moment and i'm picking him to win by submission in round 2, but it could go to decision, tough fight.

Marquardt has to come back strong after that Okami fight and I think he will be too big and strong for Dan Miller, I can see this being a bit of a one sided fight. Miller has been hard to finish in the past though so i'm picking Marquardt by decision.

My head says Shaub wins fairy easily but i'm really hoping Cro Cop can pull off a big first round KO, after that Mir fight it's just hard to see it happening. Shaub by KO in the second round.

In the prelim fights i'm predicting Barboza, Cane, Almeida and Pellegrino.

He said he was better than LHW Overeem and he is, Overeem was great for a few minutes and then gassed, he did this so many times in Pride it wasn't funny.

He's the same age as Shogun was during the 05 GP, give or take a few months.

I think fans just don't like "arrogant fighters" but then bitch when guys are boring and basically show zero personality, he seems like a nice guy to me and just really confident.

^ Oh I'm not doubting that he is a nice guy, more than likely is. Just his attitude since getting this fight has rubbed alot of people the wrong way, maybe its just gone to his head what with his inexperience of the situation - who knows.

Speaking of Jones, turns out today while walking around in New York - Jon Jones, Greg Jackson & another coach apprehended a purse snatcher and had him arrested! Talk about a busy day!

Archived