UFC 128: Jones vs Shogun Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
Yes, but surely he hasn't just realised that now? Jones dominating him is bound to be part of that.

Do you not think he'd have still entertained the idea had he lost the fight via decision?

Maybe, but your original post reads that it's not the loss that has put this into his head...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Few thoughts on the main event

Jones really made a believer out of me with that performance. Earlier in the thread I picked him to win in round 3 from strikes but I was really starting to believe Shogun might be able to pull it out. Jones is a fuckin animal, no two ways about it.

Whether Shogun was 100% or not is another matter and I personally think he looked slow and in bad shape from the off but Jones can only fight what's in front of him and the fact is he fought as close to a flawless fight as you could ask for. Never let the pressure get to him, his stand up and defence look to have improved and he managed to control Shogun on the ground and avoid his submissions. Very impressive. Shogun's takedown defence has never been great but once on the ground he can usually sweep most guys and get back up but he couldn't get Jones off him.

Jones had a great strategy too. He came right at Shogun and controlled the pace of the fight. And he attacked Shogun's past weaknesses (cardio and knee injuries) with body shots and them side kicks to the knees. I've never seen Shogun look so slow. Shogun was actually tapping to the strikes at the end :(

I'm gutted Shogun lost but at the same time it's an exciting time watching what Jones has become in such a short time. I can see Machida possibly giving him some trouble and maybe Rampage but after that performance it would be hard to pick against him at 205. The real test might come with a move to HW down the line but that's a long way off. He wouldn't be ragdolling Cain Velasquez or Shane Carwin like that. Can't see Rashad doing much better but we'll see, I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Whether Shogun was 100% or not is another matter and I personally think he looked slow and in bad shape from the off but Jones can only fight what's in front of him and the fact is he fought as close to a flawless fight as you could ask for. Never let the pressure get to him, his stand up and defence look to have improved and he managed to control Shogun on the ground and avoid his submissions. Very impressive. Shogun's takedown defence has never been great but once on the ground he can usually sweep most guys and get back up but he couldn't get Jones off him.

Did anyone else think that Shogun got hurt by the knee when he got back up against the fence early in the 1st frame? I'm actually surprised that Jones didn't finish the fight there & then, as Shogun looked very wobbly, and he never really recovered after that.

• Paid Members

Back from New York this morning. Great trip and a great event.

Myself and my friend were idiots though. We both had it in our heads that the show started at 4pm like it does on the west coast so we were out in New Jersey at around 2pm. It was only when I collected our tickets at the arena we realised that they didn't open until 6. This led to a great bonus to the day though. We were hanging around outside the Prudential Centre here:

SAM_0007.jpg

There were a few things going on but Serra was the only fighter around. So we were looking around and saw a few people going in and out of a building down the street. It was an office building that led through to the Hilton hotel. Just as we were approaching the lobby I spotted Mark Delagrotte. Saying this to my friend I turned around again to see Brandon Vera standing there:

IMG_0755.jpg

Obviously most of the guys were staying in that hotel as we saw Jones, Dominick Cruz, Kenny Florian, Frankie Edgar, Herb Dean, Jim Miller, Bruce Buffer and Mike Goldberg. I got my picture taken with Miller who couldn't have been nicer. He came through twice and took photos with anyone who asked. He was just strolling around casually like a normal guy. Funny thing I remember as I shook his hand was thinking that for a smaller guy he has hands like shovels.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Back over to the arena then where the crowds had gathered to see Stephan Bonnar and Chuck signing and taking photos:

SAM_0011.jpg

The show itself was great if a bit too long for my liking. Three hours of prelims and a three hour main card is too much I think. I know most won't agree but if I was going again I would probably turn up for the main two prelim fights unless I really wanted to see one of the other guys fight. It definitely wasn't sold out as Buffer announced later. There were quite a lot of empty seats dotted around. The row in front of me alone had about five free seats.

Some random thoughts:

The merchandise stand was crap, no Bones or Shogun t-shirts. Cro Cop, Faber and Jones were the most over on the night, although there were some boos for Jones too. Jim Miller got a big pop aswell. AC/DC should be used by everyone for their walk in. The crowd were really disappointed when Cro Cop went down, it was a like a collective "damn". Buffer was amazing, I have a video of him announcing the main event that is great. It really shows how animated he is and how much energy he puts into it. The whole time Shogun was making his entrance Jones was dancing around the octagon doing the Ali shuffle and bouncing up and down. It wasn't fun seeing Shogun get beat down like that. The boos for Rashad were huge!

SAM_0017.jpg

Because the main card started at 10pm we didn't get out of the arena until nearly 1am. It wasn't much fun trying to get back into New York at that time. A train and subway later we were back in upper Manhattan at 2:30am. Long but good day.

• Paid Members

Few thoughts on the rest of the card

Cro Cop vs Schaub

I thought Cro Cop wasn't looking that bad in all honesty in comparison to some of his UFC outings anyway. I thought he looked in better physical shape than he has in a while. Him bulking up was a mistake IMO so I was glad to see him come in a little bit lighter. I actually had him ahead with the deducted point and he was starting to do better as the fight went on then he just got wallopped.

It's really sad to watch. I've been watching some of his old Pride and K-1 stuff recently and the difference in how he moves and attacks now compared to then is a big contrast. I still say Schaub isn't anything special. He's decent but I'd be surprised if he gets passed Kongo level in the UFC. It's worth remembering he was struggling with 2011 Cro Cop and was looking pretty gassed after round 1.

I see Scaub's calling out Big Nog now, probably seeing it as another easy win over a past it legend.

Marquardt vs Miller was decent enough. I was hoping Miller might finish with one of them guillotines but Marquardt's tough. Good win for Nate, I did think the 30-27 score was a little harsh on Miller. I had him winning round 1 off his back with the takedown, close guillotine and sub attempts but whatever, the right guy won that's the main thing.

Miller vs Shalorus

I really enjoyed this fight. Thought they were unlucky not to have got the FOTN bonus, I'd have given them it over Barboza/Njokuani to be honest. Miller's on fire at the minute, and he's starting to rack up impressive finishes over some tough opponents.

Problem is I can't think what they do with Miller now. He's deffo earned the right to be in title contention IMO but with the logjam of contenders there is gonna have to take at least one more fight first cause the winner of Guida/Pettis should be getting the shot first in all fairness. Fuck knows who Miller fights next though? Cerrone would've been ideal but he's fighting Danzig. Sean Sherk maybe?

Faber vs Wineland was pretty good. Wineland gave a good account of himself in that first round. Faber is just too good in all areas though. Had to laugh at the 'hide your kids, hide your wife, hide your belt' to Dominick Cruz after the fight :laugh:

Barboza/Njokuani was good. Bit of a slower pace than I expected but some really good stuff. Glad to see Luiz Cane looking more like his old self. If he can string a few wins together maybe he can get himself back in the mix with the top of the division.

Good show in all despite 2 of my all time favourite fighters getting KO'd :(

• Paid Members

Great pics Hitman...lucky bastard :D

Did anyone else think that Shogun got hurt by the knee when he got back up against the fence early in the 1st frame? I'm actually surprised that Jones didn't finish the fight there & then, as Shogun looked very wobbly, and he never really recovered after that.

Yeah I know the one you mean, he did look hurt. He was all over the shop most of the fight though. Jones' movement and reach seemed to give him a lot of problems. He couldn't really land anything on him and when he did try Jones threw him down. GSP 101.

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to like Jones. He's clearly awesome but I just can't get behind him. I think he's playing a role. One minute he's humble and thanking Jesus Christ and the next he's unbelievably cocky. I just find him thoroughly dislikable and I look forward to the day he gets KTFO'ed.

The hype machine behind him didn't help either, I felt sorry for Shogun as he was basically the forgotten man.

As for the show itself, I enjoyed it overall although I wish someone would KO Nate Marquardt in 30 seconds. I hate the guy, he's so unforgivably boring.

• Paid Members

Just seen this on MMAMania

hug.png

One of the most powerful clips of the UFC 128 broadcast: An emotional Jim and Dan Miller hug after Jim returns to the locker room following his win and his brother's defeat. While Goldberg implied the emotions were because of Dan's defeat, the bout occurred on what would have been the second birthday of Dan's daughter, who passed away after birth. I'm amazed at the ability to put those emotions out of their minds for 20 minutes and fight inside the Octagon.

Sad stuff. I knew about him losing his little girl but never knew the significance of the date of the fight. I just assumed they looked upset cause Dan lost his fight. Pretty moving image there.

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to like Jones. He's clearly awesome but I just can't get behind him. I think he's playing a role. One minute he's humble and thanking Jesus Christ and the next he's unbelievably cocky. I just find him thoroughly dislikable and I look forward to the day he gets KTFO'ed.

The hype machine behind him didn't help either, I felt sorry for Shogun as he was basically the forgotten man.

As for the show itself, I enjoyed it overall although I wish someone would KO Nate Marquardt in 30 seconds. I hate the guy, he's so unforgivably boring.

Don't hate on Nate! When he's up against these wrestler-grapplers, the bouts tend to be dull but look what he did to Demian Maia.

• Paid Members
I hope they don't rush Jones into a bout with Rashad. I think the guy looks mentally and physically tired.

That's a good point actually. They should give him some downtime. He went straight from the Bader camp/fight into camp for Shogun. I know they're probably seeing big dollar signs in him but having him burn himself out doesn't do anyone any good.

Don't hate on Nate! When he's up against these wrestler-grapplers, the bouts tend to be dull but look what he did to Demian Maia.

Yeah I don't think Nate's a boring fighter at all. It's hard to look good against Okami. I don't think the fight with Miller was that bad.

Nate's had some shitty fights (Salaverry/Okami/Lister) but he's had plenty of good fights too.

I'd recommend giving his fights with Joe Doerksen, Wilson Gouveia, Thales Leites, Martin Kampmann and Jeremy Horn a look. And although a losing effort, his fight with Chael Sonnen was great aswell.

Archived