UFC 128: Jones vs Shogun Discussion Thread

David

Nate Marquardt has said he is thinking about dropping down to Welterweight for his next fight. :omg:

The guy is massive even for Middleweight, if he can drop down to WW it'll be crazy - Anthony Johnson size like but better skilled.

He said he walks around at the same weight as GSP, so if he can do it I guess Marquardt could.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody pick up on Jones fitness? he pratically collapsed on Rua at the end of round 1 and was breathing heavy the other 2. The strategy to beat Jones at this momment in time is take him to the later rounds imo

but yeah he's gonna blow Evans away

I do worry that based on who is currently in the division nobody will take Jones' title for a long time as the only real competitors would be Rampage for his outright power and Griffin who could wear him out for a few rounds if he can get into better shape than the franklin fight

I do worry that based on who is currently in the division nobody will take Jones' title for a long time as the only real competitors would be Rampage for his outright power and Griffin who could wear him out for a few rounds if he can get into better shape than the franklin fight

I think Forrest Griffin would get slaughtered by Jones, Jones reminds me of a bigger Anderson Silva in a way and I think the fight would go down very much the same as it did with Silva vs Griffin with the technique and ability ripping apart Forrest. I don't think Rampage could catch Jones with a punch either. Its scary to think how young Jones is and how miles apart he seems to all other challengers based on his performances.

If he went for leg kicks he'd be exposing himself to Jones' massive reach. Not been a good few weeks for me, both my all time favourite fighters have been absolutely decimated. To be fair I don't think 6 weeks to prepare for someone with the quality of Jones is a good thing and also Shogun normally performs poorly coming off injury so the result was to be expected, but the way he manhandled him was just incredible to watch.

I'd say Machida would have the best chance of beating him but even then Jones would be a heavy favourite.

Thought Cro Cop was having his best UFC fight until he got caught. Hopefully he'll be calling it a day now. Sad to see a legend decline as badly as he has.

Anybody pick up on Jones fitness? he pratically collapsed on Rua at the end of round 1 and was breathing heavy the other 2. The strategy to beat Jones at this momment in time is take him to the later rounds imo

but yeah he's gonna blow Evans away

Chasing the robber for a mile full sprint before getting to the arena probably didn't help.

Has anyone seen the post fight press conference anywhere yet?

The usual places normally have it up quickly but it's nowhere to be found.

Haven't seen the press conference, but there is a great post show interview with Dana that Ariel Helwani did, up on Ariel's youtube account. Addresses a number of things such as Rashad's split from the Jackson camp, who definately wont be coaching TUF 14, Dan Henderson, Paul Daley and more.

• Paid Members
Has anyone seen the post fight press conference anywhere yet?

The usual places normally have it up quickly but it's nowhere to be found.

Haven't seen the press conference, but there is a great post show interview with Dana that Ariel Helwani did, up on Ariel's youtube account. Addresses a number of things such as Rashad's split from the Jackson camp, who definately wont be coaching TUF 14, Dan Henderson, Paul Daley and more.

Yeah I've watched it :)

Weird how the actual conference isn't up. All the mian MMA sites have that UFC stream embedded. The conference is usually on there Sunday mornings. Strange.

• Paid Members

Heres a clip from the press conference featuring Jones. click.

He speaks (alot) about the mugging incident pre fight and a few bits on the fight itself.

Again people will probably say he comes off as arrogant and some will say he's just confident, but Jon Jones is sure to become the face of the UFC. Very marketable, Likes to talk it up, and so far, a wrecking machine. Can only be good for the UFC and MMA.

• Paid Members
Heres a clip from the press conference featuring Jones. click.

He speaks (alot) about the mugging incident pre fight and a few bits on the fight itself.

Again people will probably say he comes off as arrogant and some will say he's just confident, but Jon Jones is sure to become the face of the UFC. Very marketable, Likes to talk it up, and so far, a wrecking machine. Can only be good for the UFC and MMA.

Whilst i dont disagree, for a discussion sake, is this true? The problem with Jones is simple, I cant see anyone beating him. For me, none of the current crop of top contenders could stand a chance against Jones. So, you have to ask who would pay to watch Jones decimating his opponents every PPV? If you already know the outcome, why pay to watch the fight?

Whilst having a face of a company is great, is having someone who is another league to his opponents a healthy thing for business?

So, you have to ask who would pay to watch Jones decimating his opponents every PPV? If you already know the outcome, why pay to watch the fight?

Whilst having a face of a company is great, is having someone who is another league to his opponents a healthy thing for business?

Lots of people, anything can happen in MMA, the people that pay to buy events know this. At one point all the champions looked unbeatable, BJ Penn, GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida & Lesnar. 3 of those have been strongly beaten and one only just held on to his title. Anything can happen, eventually someone will have Jon Jones' number.

Archived