UFC 128: Jones vs Shogun Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet cheers lads

My predictions for tonight are

Jones - 3rd round tko ( although I'm hoping for a Shogun win and can see it happening )

Faber - 2nd round sub

Marquardt - 2nd round ko

Schaub - Unanimous decision

Pyle - Split decision

Barboza - 2nd round ko

Tibau - Unanimous decision

Miller - Split decision

Benavidez - 1st round sub

Marshall - Split decision

Assuncao - 2nd round sub

Philippou - unanimous decision

So, what, is that like 6 new champions in 7 title fights? That's pretty incredible when you think about it.

Yeah thats correct and the one defence of the title was one the controversial Macheda vs Shogun 1 fight which most agree should have went Shoguns way.

The LHW title definitely gets around, though I honestly can't think of anyone who I think could take it off Jones. His size will be too much for Rashad imo. Only one I can think of is if Anderson went back to 205lbs, even then I'd still back Jones to win.

We've entered the era of the Ultra-Athletes.

Never in doubt for me, the first time I ever saw Jones I thought he could dominate the division. I never thought it'd come so soon that he got his shot at the title, but he's destroyed everyone put against him and looked to do it with so much ease its untrue. Is there anyone at LHW that can even trouble him? Anderson Silva I doubt would jump up to LHW and unless Jones mixes it up at Heavyweight in a few years he can sit on the LHW crown for a while yet.

I think Rashad\A.Silva\Machida will look at how tired Jones was after the first round and have some hope. Surviving the onslaught to get him that gassed will be the problem. He quite happily carried on smashing Shogun to pieces when he was gasping for air as well.

It does feel like Jones is the real start of the new generation of MMA fighters though.

Courtesy of MMAJunkie, $70,000 bonuses for the event went to Eric Koch, Brendan Schaub, Edson Barboza and Anthony Njokuani. With no submissions, two bonuses were given for KO of the night. It was pointed out that in his last fight Koch also won KO of the night, but as that was in the WEC, he just got $10,000. Someone else who is extremely thankful for the merger.

• Paid Members
From Lorenzo Fertitta's Twitter:

Bones vs. Silva? Who wants it?

Wow! PLEASE let it happen, I'd much rather see that than Silva vs GSP personally.

That really was quite the most incredible display I've seen in the UFC. He made Shogun look like a rookie.

If GSP beats Shields then I can see UFC pushing for a GSP/Silva fight for the autumn. Meanwhile, if Jones beats Rashad when they fight around July/August, I could well see UFC looking to book a monster Jones vs. Silva fight at the New Year's Eve/New Year's Day show- possibly in that gorgeous new super-stadium in Dallas.

Silva doesn't want to fight at light-heavy but if the money's right then I'm sure he'd step up.

Wow. That was simply amazing - I thought he'd smash Shogun, but I didn't picture that much domination. If you watch Shogun after he takes the last knee, he's actually tapping out before Herb stops the fight.

Already looking forward to Rashad vs Jones.

• Paid Members
Never in doubt for me, the first time I ever saw Jones I thought he could dominate the division. I never thought it'd come so soon that he got his shot at the title, but he's destroyed everyone put against him and looked to do it with so much ease its untrue. Is there anyone at LHW that can even trouble him? Anderson Silva I doubt would jump up to LHW and unless Jones mixes it up at Heavyweight in a few years he can sit on the LHW crown for a while yet.

Why would he not? He has gone up loads of times after if he gets his fight with GSP and wins I can see him calling it a day or moving up.

Jones has loads of fights at 205 now. UFC could maybe build a nice little title run around him due to all the X champs he has not faced.

Edit dunno if this has been posted but its Jones take on the mugging he stopped which was mentioned last night, http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-128-jon-jones-robbery-story

Archived