UFC 128: Jones vs Shogun Discussion Thread

David

UFC128ShogunvsJones.jpg

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Jon Jones (for light-heavyweight title)

Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland

Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Nate Marquardt

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Brendan Schaub

Luiz Cane vs. Eliot Marshall+

Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani+

Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle*

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau*

Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian Loveland*

Raphael Assuncao vs. TBA*

Nick Catone vs. Dan Miller*

+prelim on SpikeTV

*Unaired prelim

Another decent card in my opinion, with a very interesting main event. Jones is the favourite with the bookies apparently, and with good reason.

I'll go for a Jones win I think.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This is a loaded card. Can't wait. I was kinda hoping they'd move Almeida vs Pyle to the Spike prelims. I'd rather see that than Cane/Marshall but oh well, I'm sure we'll get to see it somehow. Barboza vs Njokuani is gonna be awesome.

I'm predicting a Jones win too. If Jones can do to Shogun what he's done to everyone else then that will be a huge statement to the rest of the division.

I'm rooting for Shogun to beat the unbeatable again though :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

I'm picking Jones by stoppage but Shogun could pull it off.

Jones has been awesome no doubt but he's yet to face someone with the striking and grappling ability of Rua. He might very well wreck Rua like he has everyone else but people talking like Jones is unbeatable and totally discounting Shogun is silly IMO.

We haven't really seen Jones take a good shot yet. We haven't seen how he deals with defending submissions, how his cardio is, how he copes with leg kicks. All these might not be a problem but until these questions are answered any talk of Jones being unstoppable is premature.

Shogun burst the Machida bubble, who's to say he can't do the same to Jones?

When it comes down to it I do expect Jones will win. He's a bad style match on paper for even a healthy Shogun, a Shogun coming off surgery even more so.

The rest of the card I expect Cro Cop to lose again, probably getting stopped by strikes in the process :( . Faber/Wineland and Marquardt/Akiyama should both be great fights. I'd favour Nate and Faber in them but wouldn't be overly surprised if they went the other way. Miller vs Shalorus is a really tough one to call, maybe a Miller close decision.

Hopefully we'll get to see Pyle/Almeida and Benavidez/Loveland too. You know a card is fuckin stacked when fights like that don't even make the Spike prelims.

• Paid Members

Looking forward to Schaub absolutely murdering Cro-cop. Main is too close to call. Jones is the business but Shogun is tough as fuck. If I was betting, I think I'd for Jones. Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Nate Marquardt looks a belter, Faber's always ace and practically every single prelim looks a potential show stealer. Another great looking card.

This has to be the only time I can recall where a replacement in the main event is infinitely more exciting than the original opponent. Seriously, how much better is Shogun vs Jones than Shogun vs Rashad? I know Faber's a big name, looking forward to seeing him for the first time. Jim Miller is always a beast. Sexyama vs Nate could be FOTN, and I hope Crocop redeems himself from the Mir fight, moreso from a performance standpoint than actually getting the W.

On the prelims, Barboza is awesome, that'll be a blinder. Major shame we lost Karlos Vemola to injury, dude's a beast. Luiz Cane always brings a good fight as well though.

• Paid Members

It's a nice line-up and I really hope Jones triumphs.

The show should deliver creatively but I'm not yet convinced it'll do big business. None of the fighters are proven UFC pay-per-view draws and a lot of the main card and prelim fights that are anticipated by MMA fans won't mean as much to the casual audience who make the difference between a show like this doing 500,000 buys and an event headlined by a proven draw doing 800,000+.

A lot will depend on Jon Jones. He'll need to talk people into buying the show because Rua won't (though some of his Pride footage will help sell the show on the Countdown special). Also, UFC will need to do a real good job of telling the Jon Jones story, which is quite the journey over the last few years when you think about it.

Even if the show doesn't shift massive numbers of buys, the main event could propel Jones into the upper echelon of fighters who can draw significant buyrates when they're on a card.

• Paid Members
As I said on the other thread, Shogun's previously looked terrible coming back from injury and has only looked good against Machida in his entire time in the UFC.

I know what you mean and I agree none of his UFC fights bar Machida have been very impressive but you've gotta admit looking good against Machida is no easy task. Especially back then when Machida was undefeated and full of confidence. This was a guy who was not just considered unbeatable by fans and MMA media but also pretty much unhittable. Shogun shattered all that.

Before UFC 104 people were going on like Machida would walk through Shogun and hold the belt for years. The only guy who could challenge him was supposed to be Anderson Silva but the fight would never happen. People were scared to fight Machida because 1) they'd lose and 2) they'd be made to look stupid in the process.

Shogun had a great gameplan, executed it almost perfectly. People still wrote him off in the rematch for some reason. And to be fair even the Liddell fight people were saying Shogun was tailor made for Chuck. Shogun was meant to lose that one aswell despite Chuck being past it.

People seem to love to discount Shogun for some reason.

• Paid Members

I'm saying all this but I still think Jones will win, I was picking Rashad to beat Rua too just because they're both bad style matches for him.

I said in another thread, if you look at Jones he is probably the worst match for Shogun in the division. The type of fighters Shogun has struggled with have been guys with good takedowns (Coleman/Babalu), relentless non stop fighters (Forrest Griffin) and lanky strikers (Overeem/Cyrille Diabate). And Jones has all 3, he's a nightmare for Shogun.

At the same time, Jones hasn't fought anyone who's as good a striker as Shogun and also he hasn't fought anyone who's as active and aggressive with submissions and sweeps from the bottom either.

• Paid Members

Jon Jones is a Phenomenon at this point, has there ever been a fighter to rise so flawlessly through the rankings ever? Before every fight the same question marks get raised because Jones just doesn't get challenged in these fights...i thought Bader was the man to test him but nope, Jones smashed him. If Jones win this fight like he's won the other expect 'greatest ever!?' tags to be thrown everywhere.

Like Mikey said, the last time Shogun came back off a long injury layoff he looked terrible and if he does so again he's gonna lose. I'm even inclined to think that a 100% Shogun is gonna struggle, i am seriously starting to believe that Jon Jones is that good.

Archived