Shows that you don't like, except for one match you love

ThePhenom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been some good choices mentioned here. Some that spring to mind for me:

Great American Bash and Starrcade 1992. The Bash and the NWA tag title tournament which was ok but there were too many tag team matches (as you might expect) and most of them were fairly boring with only a couple I would call good. The Starrcade 92 show had the Lethal Lottery and Battle Bowl, which produced a lot of too short tag team matches and a not particularly good battle royal, a bellow par Masa Chono vs Muta match and Ron Simmons vs Steve Williams (who filled in for Rick Rude). Both shows, however, contained absolutely cracking Sting vs Vader matches which I rate very highly indeed.

In Your House 10 - Mind Games was a pretty poor show. The highlight of the undercard for me was the fantastic bump Jerry Lawler took out of the ring for Mark Henry. The main event of Mankind vs Shawn Michaels was superb.

• Paid Members
Wrestlemania 13 is the best example. Bret/Austin is a super match, but watching the rest of the show again made me realise just how shit it actually is.

I'd say that was the same for most of the 97 ppv's. Shit cards with one cracking match..

KOTR. Austin vs Michaels

Trippers won King of the Ring that year didn't he? Admittedly i don't think i've seen it since but i remember loving and being right into the final with him and Mankind. But i was all over Mankinds evolution as this time, was the match balls?

• Paid Members
Is there any shows that have been put on that you didn't like for the most part, except for one match on it's own that you love? I'll start of with a few of mine, I'm not a big fan of the 1991 Royal Rumble, infact I can't seem to get into any of the matches on that show for some reason, except for the Ultimate Warrior Vs SGT Slaughter WWF title match (which I love).

You what? That card has Rockers v Orient Express - which was excellent - and Big Boss Man v Barbarian, which was pretty damn good too.

I'm with freaky, that tag is the shit and anything with the man from Cobb County is worth a watch.

IYH:April. Bret vs Austin

IYH14 had an great Taker Vs Foley match. It was the first IYH I watched and wondered if that all had people going head first through tables.

• Paid Members
Trippers won King of the Ring that year didn't he? Admittedly i don't think i've seen it since but i remember loving and being right into the final with him and Mankind. But i was all over Mankinds evolution as this time, was the match balls?

I thought it was. Mick's unmasking and the Pedigree through the table was cool, but before that finishing stretch there was 20-odd minutes of absolutely nothing. One of the most needlessly long matches I've seen. Also, the crowd was DEAD until the table spot.

• Paid Members
I'm not a big fan of the 1991 Royal Rumble, infact I can't seem to get into any of the matches on that show for some reason, except for the Ultimate Warrior Vs SGT Slaughter WWF title match (which I love).

Silly. Rockers/Orients is the mad notes. Bosom Man v Barbar is pretty good too.

Wrestlemania 13 is the best example. Bret/Austin is a super match, but watching the rest of the show again made me realise just how shit it actually is.

Hitman/Austin would put anything in the shade, but I thought the streetfight was fun. Possibly just because I was marking for LOD.

Summerslam '92 is blatantly a one match show and you all know it.

Bollocks. Savage/Warrior isnt as good as Bulldog/Bret, or the match they had at WM7, but its still fucking good.

I copied Eddy/Rey from Great American Bash onto a seperate tape made of a mismash of matches and taped over the SS1 broadcast - was there anything else redeeming on that, or was it shite?

For me, the epitome of the one-match show is Survivors 92.

High Energy vs Headshrinkers is passable, but if you want to watch a decent tag match with Owen in, there are plenty better. Bossman v Nailz is forgettable. Macho/Perfect v Flair/Razor is completely story driven but really feels like all four are on auto-pilot, and feels a bit of a re-run of plenty of other Savage/Flair matches (during the heat on Savage middle section) and suffers badly from no finish. Model/Tatanka is interminable, as is the tag elimination. Undertaker/Kamala is just stalling right up to the finish, Yoko v Virgil is a decent squash, but its just a squash. You can basically skip the whole show, and miss nothing.

And then Hitman v Shawn Michaels is utterly stunning.

Ummm can I have two matches?! Wrestlemania X - other than bret v owen / ramon v micheals.

Other than Warrior v Hogan, theres not much that I can think was much cop at Wrestlemania VI

Enjoyed Roberts vs Rude at Wrestlemania IV but not much else. And other than the last 10 minutes of Hart vs Dibiase, theres not much I enjoyed about Survivor Series 90.

• Paid Members
No Mercy in Manchester~!

Austin/Undertaker/HHH three-way with a hundred finishers and run-ins was tons of fun. The rest... well, the house shows the previous month blew it away.

I quite liked that, the show long story of the corporate ministry was fun and it had essentially the same 6 man from backlash. For a C level show in the UK where theres no need to do lots I've always thought its quite good fun in its way.

• Paid Members
For a C level show in the UK where theres no need to do lots I've always thought its quite good fun in its way.

As a paying customer I thought it was an absolute insult. The WWF were incredibly arrogant to run a show in the States with the other half of the roster on the same day. At least these days when you put your hand in your pocket you know you're getting the Raw roster, SmackDown roster or on PPV, both.

Cards for the interested :

NO, MERCY!

Tiger Ali Singh d Gillberg

Viscera & the Acolytes d Edge, Christian, & Gangrel

Steve Blackman d Droz

Kane d/dq Mideon

Nicole Bass d Tori

Shane McMahon d X-Pac

Billy Gunn d Mankind

Steve Austin d the Undertaker and Triple H

Richmond, VA house show

Matt & Jeff Hardy d Too Much

Kurt Angle d Terry Taylor

Test d Albert

The Big Show d Mark Henry in a slam match

The Road Dogg d Owen Hart

Val Venis & Jackie d D-Lo Brown & Ivory

The Rock d the Big Bossman

Al Snow d Hardcore Holly

Godfather d Goldust

Ken Shamrock d 8-Ball

A DOA on last? Bizarre. Still, No Mercy had an amazingly inconsequential and rubbish undercard. However I probably wouldnt stick it in this thread if you like Austin v Undertaker v Trips, because X-Pac v Shane was surprisingly good (as their matches tended to be).

• Paid Members

Probably WM18 for me: outside Rock/Hogan, everything else is a bit "meh", and not just by comparison to that match. All the others were passable, and wouldn't be out of place on a minor PPV, but they weren't Mania-calibre. UT/Flair was actually a little disappointing, considering their calibre.

Archived