Shows that you don't like, except for one match you love

ThePhenom

• Paid Members

WM18 was definitely a one-match show, but in all fairness DDP vs Christian put on a cracking match for a pair of wrestlers basically put in a comedy feud over a shit belt. Fair play to the Canadian crowd. DDP was treated like a star on this night.

Also Arn Anderson's spinbuster on the Undertaker was blinding.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't watched it in years admittedly, but I'm a fan of the Undertaker/Flair match. I always saw WM18 as a two-match show, if anything.

I absolutely adored that match, and it made me a Flair fan. Personally though I thought the whole card was pretty awesome, more recent Wrestlemanias aren't as stacked.

the problem with that show is if you consider the context, it was the first mania after the invasion, plus the nwo had come in so i think some of the expectations for what could have been might have soiled it for me a bit. that flair/taker match is cracking good fun though albeit a few botches, also some great buildup to it.

theres something about hall and nash's entrance that screams: THIS IS FUCKING COOL.

i heard recently that they were trying to get sting in to face angle at that one, but something fell by the wayside hence kurt and kane being thrown together last minute, which seemed weird considering kurt had such a great 2001.

• Paid Members
Haven't watched it in years admittedly, but I'm a fan of the Undertaker/Flair match. I always saw WM18 as a two-match show, if anything.

I absolutely adored that match, and it made me a Flair fan. Personally though I thought the whole card was pretty awesome, more recent Wrestlemanias aren't as stacked.

That was a superb match. WM 18 is a one match show and that is the match. Rock/Hogan is electric until the bell rings and then not something i had or have any interest in. I was a big fan of the Flair/McMahon match from the Royal Rumble too, I loved it. Flair still had it in 2002, he had an awesome match with Trips later in the year too didn't he?

I think most WCW PPV's would fit this topic for me. There was rarely more than one match I really loved on a show. Halloween Havoc main event for instance is awesome. Fall Brawl 2000 is utter shite but has an awesome Goldberg/Steiner match.

WrestleMania 13 isn't a show I particularly like, though the opener isn't terrible, but Austin/Bret is magnificent. WM 15 is pretty horrible until the main event. WM 16 was shite too apart from the awesome 3 way ladder match.

Most of the In Your House PPV's were 1 match shows.

the problem with that show is if you consider the context, it was the first mania after the invasion, plus the nwo had come in so i think some of the expectations for what could have been might have soiled it for me a bit. that flair/taker match is cracking good fun though albeit a few botches, also some great buildup to it.

theres something about hall and nash's entrance that screams: THIS IS FUCKING COOL.

i heard recently that they were trying to get sting in to face angle at that one, but something fell by the wayside hence kurt and kane being thrown together last minute, which seemed weird considering kurt had such a great 2001.

They really should have done a better job with that Wrestlemania (except for The Rock Vs Hollywood Hogan of course), I would have kept Austin heel and Angle face after the Invasion and given them the WWF title match. I also wouldn't have unified the WWF and World/WCW titles together, and given Triple H Vs Chris Jericho a much better build, for the World title.

It was the greatest roster ever assembled in wrestling history.

Rock

Austin

Hogan

Flair

Undertaker

McMahon

Nash

Hall

Angle

HHH

Jericho

DDP

Rob Van Dam

Dudley Boys

Hardy Boyz

Arn Anderson

I mean, we're never going to see a line-up like that ever again.

I think the In Your House series gets a bit of a bad rap at times, they were always presented as inferior to the main PPV's, with them being shorter and having the same set etc but I think they were still worthy PPVs and a step up from TV.

Most of the main event matches of them delivered and the odd main event has remained a classic today. I don't think many, if any I would see as one match shows. Throughout the series (specifically when In Your House was the main name of the show with a number) there was usually decent undercard matches featuring the then up and coming HHH, Austin and Rock and throw in Marc Mero and Goldust and I think those 5 put on their fair share of good matches throughout usually for the IC belt. Speaking of Goldust I thought the series he had with Taker at IYH 8, 9 and 10 was great and not really remembered, Goldust was on fire through 96/early 97. The Tag matches were usually decent enough, usually with Owen and Bulldog and throw in hidden gems like a great little Mankind/Henry Godwinn at International Incident and I think overall the undercard of most of them seems to be wrongly forgotten over time and all tarred with the same brush.

EDIT - Just re-watched the Manking/Godwinn match, it weren't that great :laugh: a couple of good spots which I think surprised me at the time as I was expecting a nothing match. Still there are other examples of forgotten matches on those, the Austin/Vega strap match on the 2nd Beware of Dog was another, I'll probably re-watch that now and think it's crap :laugh:

well the two that sprang to my mind, are 2 of the worst wwe ppvs of recent times yet both had one great match on them and the rest was super monkey balls.

first Great American Bash 2004 which gave us guff like Torrie vs Sable, Kenzo Suzuki vs Billy Gunn, Mordecai vs Hardcore Holly, Luther Reigns vs Charlie Haas and the awful main of Taker vs The Dudleyz in a ''Concrete Crypt'' match. Also a shitty JBL world title win and a crappy 4 way US title match.

However it did have a great (and much forgotten) Chavo vs Mysterio Cruiserweight Title match.

And then we have the truly terrible, 90,000 buys and 2 hours 25 minute PPV disaster that is ECW December To Dismember.

With its 2 match card (well thats all that they announced in advance and also all they stuck on the DVD back cover) it was an embarrasment. The Extreme Chamber was the drizzling shits, they took out Sabu to give Bob Holly a spot and then had CM Punk eliminated first.

The one good match on the show of course was the other big match, MNM vs The Hardys. Yeah the only match on the show that didnt have ECW connected to it, it was an amazing tag team bout that nothing could follow.

The other matches featured Daivari vs Tommy Dreamer, Matt Striker vs Balls Mahoney, The FBI getting squashed by Elijah Burke and Sylvester Terkay, plus an awful mixed tag featuring two heels (Kevin Thorne and Ariel) vs another heel and a babyface (Mike Knox and Kelly Kelly) and they wondered why nobody cared about the match.

so yeah they are my two nominations.

I think the In Your House series gets a bit of a bad rap at times, they were always presented as inferior to the main PPV's, with them being shorter and having the same set etc but I think they were still worthy PPVs and a step up from TV.

Most of the main event matches of them delivered and the odd main event has remained a classic today. I don't think many, if any I would see as one match shows. Throughout the series (specifically when In Your House was the main name of the show with a number) there was usually decent undercard matches featuring the then up and coming HHH, Austin and Rock and throw in Marc Mero and Goldust and I think those 5 put on their fair share of good matches throughout usually for the IC belt. Speaking of Goldust I thought the series he had with Taker at IYH 8, 9 and 10 was great and not really remembered, Goldust was on fire through 96/early 97. The Tag matches were usually decent enough, usually with Owen and Bulldog and throw in hidden gems like a great little Mankind/Henry Godwinn at International Incident and I think overall the undercard of most of them seems to be wrongly forgotten over time and all tarred with the same brush.

In Your House 12 (December 1996) never gets talked about, but I find it to be a fun little PPV. You have a great Bret Hart Vs Sid match, The Undertaker Vs The Executioner shows early signs of the Attitude Era when they brawl outside the arena, and Rocky Maivia Vs Salvatore Sincere was great as well. A very underrated PPV.

Can you imagine if they'd held off the Invasion angle until the time of WrestleMania 18? There's a string of matches on the card that would've fit the bill:

Undertaker vs Ric Flair

Austin vs Scott Hall

Christian vs Diamond Dallas Page

Edge vs Booker T

Rock vs Hollywood Hogan

If they'd managed to get Sting to face Angle, that would've been the icing.

Alternatively, how fun would an odd couple Austin and Angle vs Hall and Nash match have been?

Probably a contraversal one, but how about Canadian Stampede.

Great Main event tag, but the rest wasn't great.

Taker/Vader was so, so.

The Taka match wasn't really my Bag of Rice.

And the Helmesly/Mankind match was only ever a set-up to their awesome cage match at Sumerslam.

There was also a dark match with the Godwinns and Blackjacks which was below par.

Archived