Shows that you don't like, except for one match you love

ThePhenom

Is there any shows that have been put on that you didn't like for the most part, except for one match on it's own that you love? I'll start of with a few of mine, I'm not a big fan of the 1991 Royal Rumble, infact I can't seem to get into any of the matches on that show for some reason, except for the Ultimate Warrior Vs SGT Slaughter WWF title match (which I love). Another example is Over The Edge: In Your House in May of 1998; the undercard is rotten, Faarooq botched his pre match piledriver on The Rock by missing the chair, yet still sold it as a major neck injury, and that he hit the chair. The main event though, was Stone Cold Vs Dude Love. The one with McMahon as the ref, Gerald Brisco as timekeeper and Pat Patterson doing his epic announcing. The tension was in the air, as Undertaker was out there with his eyes on McMahon to make sure Austin didn't get screwed out of the belt. Austin and Foley provided action and excitement all over the arena, from the ring, the outside and the ramp/stage area, and it made for a hell of a match. A more common example would be the shite Wrestlemania 25, that luckily featured The Undertaker's legendary first Mania encounter with Shawn Michaels. Got any more, from your personal preference point of views?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Good thread idea.

The last 2 Wrestlemania's I thought were pretty cack but loved the 2 Taker vs HBK matches. They were real show savers imo.

Few others

Summerslam 94 was a bit shit apart from the classic Bret/Owen cage match. The first New Years Revolution in 05 was saved by the Elimination Chamber match.

I thought No Way Out 2004 and 2005 were dire apart from Eddie vs Brock and Angle vs Cena.

Is there any shows that have been put on that you didn't like for the most part, except for one match on it's own that you love? I'll start of with a few of mine, I'm not a big fan of the 1991 Royal Rumble, infact I can't seem to get into any of the matches on that show for some reason, except for the Ultimate Warrior Vs SGT Slaughter WWF title match (which I love).

You what? That card has Rockers v Orient Express - which was excellent - and Big Boss Man v Barbarian, which was pretty damn good too.

• Paid Members
Wrestlemania 13 is the best example. Bret/Austin is a super match, but watching the rest of the show again made me realise just how shit it actually is.

I'd say that was the same for most of the 97 ppv's. Shit cards with one cracking match..

IYH:February. Taker vs Austin vs Vader vs Bret

WM13. Bret vs Austin

IYH:April. Bret vs Austin

IYH:May. Taker vs Austin

KOTR. Austin vs Michaels

Bad Blood. HIAC

All good fits for this thread.

Got to agree with New Years Revolution and IYH 10. Both undercards were terrible, but there main events were at least very good.

Wrestlemania 7 from my memory was particularly pants apart from the incredible job by Randy Savage with the Ultimate Warrior. But that might be just me.

I rewatched SummerSlam 1994 recently, and it's a lot better than I remember. Hall vs Nash and the tag opener are really heated, and the Nakano/Blayze match is great.

IYH Badd Blood is one (Michaels/Undertaker), but that was pretty understandable due to the whole Brian Pillman thing, and the knowledge that Pillman featured as a key part of the original lineup.

• Paid Members

Forgot about that women's match on SS94. That was pretty good, they had a good match on Raw around that time too.

Don't remember much of Razor vs Diesel. I remember HBK and Walter Payton at ringside more. Actually, does anyone know why HBK barely wrestled PPV's in 94? After Wrestlemania 10 he just acted as a manager for Nash in his PPV matches for most of the year.

• Paid Members

I actually rather enjoyed Warrior vs Savage aswell from SS92 to be fair. Obviously not a patch on the WM7 match but still...Flair and Perfect added a lot to that and Savage's selling of the knee was great stuff. I really thought they crippled him.

• Paid Members

No Way Out 2004, which culminated in Eddie's WWE title win. The rest of the card was pretty much dross in all fairness but this was a good contest with added emotion per the victor. Well worth staying up for live and gutting it out through the other 2 and a bit hours of nothingness.

Armageddon 2004. Fatal 4 way main event, excellent....rest of the card....terrible!

Another I think of is Royal Rumble 2005. I thoroughly enjoy the Rumble match, but the undercard matches are pretty poor. Even Edge and HBK have had better matches against each other.

No Way Out 2007. Again, great main event but the undercard is just nothing at all. 6 Man Tag opener is good but does nothing really it's just.....there.

Survivor Series 2003, Shawn Michaels performance in the elimination tag and the match overall is great. Rest of the card is just standard stuff though. Even the McMahon bladejob can't save the rest of the show.

Both shows headlined by JBL vs. Eddie Guerrero. Two of the worst PPV's ever but both matches I enjoyed greatly.

Forgot about that women's match on SS94. That was pretty good, they had a good match on Raw around that time too.

Don't remember much of Razor vs Diesel. I remember HBK and Walter Payton at ringside more. Actually, does anyone know why HBK barely wrestled PPV's in 94? After Wrestlemania 10 he just acted as a manager for Nash in his PPV matches for most of the year.

Good question, and one that i was wondering just a few weeks ago. He hardly wrestled at all in 1994 after WMX. I think i've read somewhere before that he had some kind of hand injury, but i don't think that itself would have kept him out for about 9 months, because he did work a few one-off matches like winning the tag titles or that really good one from RAW vs Razor Ramon sometime between KOTR and Summerslam. He didn't take much time off, if any though, because he was making appearances most weeks, whether he was in Diesel's corner or commentating.

I really didn't like Summerslam 94 at all. Bret/Owen was good, Razor/Diesel was fine, but the rest was a waste of time imo. It was only 7 matches in total and featured less than half the roster.

Archived