Powerslam 25 Greatest Wrestling Shows

Gladstones Bitch

Has anyone read this month's PS yet? they have a few lists in the issue like this, 100 greatest matches & 25 greatest DVD/Video releases.

I was trying to think of my top 25 shows from that period and thought it could get a decent discussion going as well, here's the PS list.

25 - NJPW - Battle Formation 1996

24 - ECW - Heatwave 1998

23- TNA - No Surrender 2005

22 - WWF - Backlash 2000

21 - WWF- Fully Loaded 2000

20 - WCW - Spring Stampede 1999

19 - WWF - Backlash 2009

18 - TNA - Turning Point 2004

17 - WAR - Super J Cup : 2nd Stage

16 - WWE/ECW - One Night Stand 2005

15 - TNA - Turning Point 2009

14 - ECW - The Doctor Is In 1996

13 -ROH - Man Up! 2007

12 - WWE - SummerSlam 2002

11 - NOAH - Departure 2004

10 - WWE - WrestleMania 24

9 - WWF - In Your House : Canadian Stampede

8 - ROH - Better Than Our Best 2006

7 - NJPW - Destruction 2010

6 - NOAH - Destiny 2005

5 - WWF - WrestleMania 17

4 - AAA/IWC - When Worlds Collide

3 - AJW - Wrestling Queendom 3

2 - Weekly Pro At Tokyo Dome

1 - AJW - Big Egg Universe

So what's peoples thoughts on that list then? any glaring omissions or show's you don't think deserve to be there.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was initially scrolling down the list I was thinking 'can't believe Big Egg Universe isn't listed?', so nice to see that it came in at number one. A distinct lack of WCW, and I would certainly have Great American Bash '96 on the list. I would also have ECW Matter of Respect ahead of The Doctor Is In, although from memory I am sure some of the PS crew of the time (Rob Butcher) were at the Arena for that show, so am imagining it is looked at more favourably.

When I was initially scrolling down the list I was thinking 'can't believe Big Egg Universe isn't listed?', so nice to see that it came in at number one. A distinct lack of WCW, and I would certainly have Great American Bash '96 on the list. I would also have ECW Matter of Respect ahead of The Doctor Is In, although from memory I am sure some of the PS crew of the time (Rob Butcher) were at the Arena for that show, so am imagining it is looked at more favourably.

Yeah I've always preferred Matter Of Respect 96 over The Doctor Is In, maybe as it was the 1st ECW event I watched. Also Anarchy Rulz 1999 is better than Heatwave 98 although I may of included them both in my own list.

I'm only a WWE/WCW/ECW/TNA guy, so I am no one to judge about the Indie/Puro/Lucha shows, but the big 4 list is decent from my point of view. Here's my personal list:

1: WWF Wrestlemania 17

2: WWE ECW One Night Stand 2005

3: ECW Heatwave 1998

4: WWE Summerslam 2002

5: ECW Living Dangerously 1999

6: WWF Backlash 2000

7: WWF Judgment Day 2000

8: WCW Hog Wild 1996

9: WWF In Your House: Candian Stampede

10: WWF Royal Rumble 2000

11: WCW Bash At The Beach 1996

12: ECW Anarchy Rulz 1999

13: WWE Wrestlemania 19

14: WWE Survivor Series 2002

15: WWF Fully Loaded 1999

16: WWF No Way Out 2000

17: TNA Turning Point 2009

18: WWF Survivor Series 1997

19: WWF Armageddon 2000

20: WWF Survivor Series 1998

21: WCW Spring Stampede 1999

22: WWF Fully Loaded 2000

23: WWF St Valentines Day Massacure: In Your House

24: WWF Survivor Series 1995

25: TNA Lockdown 2010

• Paid Members

:laugh:

I was there. It doesn't belong anywhere near this list. All that I can remember is a good Xpac vs AJ match, a cracking Joe vs Sabin match, and the exact same Abyss harddcore-style match that's been done a million times before or since, only with a Dogcollar stipulation. Oh, and Rhino debuted to the mildest crowd reaction of all time. Everyone thought it was going to be Matt Hardy.

Not that it's the only bad choice on the list mind, but it's Powerslam, it's not surprising.

Vengeance 05 and WM23 are the first two huge omissions that spring to mind.

• Paid Members

Wrestlemania XIX stands out as missing to me. I thought that was a brilliant show top to bottom, bar The Undertaker vs. Big Show & A-Train. I also think Wrestlemania X-7 is way overated. Yeah it had Austin vs. Rock, HHH vs. Taker, Angle vs. Benoit and TLC but the rest of the card was pretty rough, that's just my opinion though.

:laugh:

I was there. It doesn't belong anywhere near this list. All that I can remember is a good Xpac vs AJ match, a cracking Joe vs Sabin match, and the exact same Abyss harddcore-style match that's been done a million times before or since, only with a Dogcollar stipulation. Oh, and Rhino debuted to the mildest crowd reaction of all time. Everyone thought it was going to be Matt Hardy.

Not that it's the only bad choice on the list mind, but it's Powerslam, it's not surprising.

Vengeance 05 and WM23 are the first two huge omissions that spring to mind.

Heres the PS write up about No Surrender 05 in this issue

Heartened by the news that TNA had just inked a tv deal with Spike TV - which secured the company's future after month's of uncertainty - a jubilant TNA crew went out and tore the house down at No Surrender 2005. As we wrote in Issue 134 '' Even the worst match ( Kip James and Monty Brown vs Konnan and Ron Killings ) was eminently watchable.'' The exceptional match between Samoa Joe and Chris Sabin was the highlight. Elsewhere A.J Styles Vs Sean Waltman demonstrated that Waltman still had much to offer pro wrestling. Christopher Daniels vs Petey Williams was really good.The Raven vs Abyss Dog Collar Chain match was a worthy main event. That's right: worthy main event. How times change.

The only match I can remember from that show was the Joe/Sabin one and that was a little cracker if my memory serves me right.

Its not just Power Slam

No Surrender 2005 provided such a buzz on the internet at the time, I picked up a pirate copy too watch it, I thought it was very good, maybe not great. I followed TNA from watching this PPV until I gave up on TNA slowly over time

I share Power Slams love for WM 17/24 ,Backlash 2000/2009 and Canadian Stampede, unfortunatly never watched much Puro or ROH stuff so cant offer a opinion on most of the cards on the list

• Paid Members
Wrestlemania XIX stands out as missing to me. I thought that was a brilliant show top to bottom, bar The Undertaker vs. Big Show & A-Train. I also think Wrestlemania X-7 is way overated. Yeah it had Austin vs. Rock, HHH vs. Taker, Angle vs. Benoit and TLC but the rest of the card was pretty rough, that's just my opinion though.

While from a wrestling point of view, it wasn't much, from an entertainment and storyline point of view, you should also add Vince vs Shane. In terms of straight fun, you should also add the Gimmick Battle Royal. It was one of the only times you could do something like that, and it fit in with the show perfectly.

When you've got a card with two great matches, two strong matches, two fun matches and that's before the undercard, you've got one HELL of a PPV. Wrestlemania XIX was badly damaged by Booker T/HHH in a lot of people's eyes, I think. It does have two really good matches, and a great storyline/entertainment match with Hogan/Vince, though. That said, that match's greatest moment (the manic smile from McMahon) is overshadowed, for me, by Trish turning, Linda kicking Vince in the balls, Foley running wild and then Shane delivering a Van Terminator.

For the first time in a while, my faith has been restored by PowerSlam to an extent. Their list of WWE PPVs contains the same as my own and in the same order.

• Paid Members
In terms of straight fun, you should also add the Gimmick Battle Royal.

You probably shouldn't, since it was on Mania 17, not 19.

Thats what he was refering to I think. His first paragraph was in reply to saying WM17's card was a bit rough save for a few matches.

For me, WrestleMania 19 was tremendous. Hogan vs McMahon, Lesnar vs Angle, Rock vs Austin, HBK vs Jericho and even the Hardy vs Mysterio all were to a good standard and none were less than entertaining. I love that card. Even Undertaker's handicap match was good for what it was.

Archived