Powerslam 25 Greatest Wrestling Shows

Gladstones Bitch

• Paid Members

Hard to give specific ordered rankings to so many great matches, so I don't think it's worth getting into "x should be more than 2 places higher than y" type discussions, but I can definitely agree that, as a whole, they've managed to put together quite a brilliant selection there - appears to be pretty much a guide to everything that is "must see" from everywhere in wrestling for the last decade-and-a-half. Though I reckon I have about 85%+ of them already somewhere, it would be quite a DVD comp to have....

Didn't spot the 3 June 1994 Misawa vs. Kawada match anywhere in there though, which I always thought PS was high on. Thought it may have come very high indeed.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No Davey Boy Smith vs Bret Hart from 1995? No Triple H vs The Rock from 2000? No Cactus Jack vs Triple H from 2000? Kobashi vs Joe is higher than the Rock vs Austin? The Young Bucks vs Kevin Steen & El Generico is on the list, but Nikolai Volkoff vs Virgil from WWF Challenge in 1994 isn't on there? That list is shite (in my opinion of course). No Rock vs Hogan? Sure it was all bells and whistles and drama and crowd reaction, but they have fucking Mankind vs Undertaker's Hell in the Cell match on there, so why not Hogan/Rock? At least it didn't have one of them smashing their head against a ringpost like a spanner like Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness had. Shouldn't this be a list of the top 100 matches where you finish the match with a bruised chest, dislocated shoulder or a brain scrambling concussion?

• Paid Members
I have never bought into the hype surrounding the 2003 Misawa/Kobashi match

I can't tell you anything about the hype, only about actually watching the match.

The two threw all their big bombs at each other, the crowd goes onto meltdown at what they all probably know will be the last big singles match between the two, torn to begin with but eventually almost completely rooting for Kobashi (who had never pinned Misawa to win a singles match). The finish is my favourite finish ever and stands up there with Benoit winning at WMXX for me. Its a hard hitting gradual build war and to me, its drama, excitement and above all else emotion, which is pretty much what I look for in a match.

"91. Paul London & El Generico vs The Cutler Brothers vs The Young Bucks (July 30th 2010, PWG Seven)"

Even Jack Evans would have got sick of the highspots 5 minutes into that match. Couldn't have been more stereotypically "Indie" if they'd tried.

I maybe way off here but you seem to bash the 'indie high-spot' style an awful lot, yet seem to always watch plenty of matches from companies such as PWG which pretty much define that style of wrestling. Sometimes I get the feeling you watch them just so you can make digs at them. Although it'd be amusing had you written that it was full of high-spots and "couldn't have been more "indie" if they'd tried" without having even watched the match, and knew how it'd have gone down just because it featured those guys in a PWG ring.

I don't mean to sound like a berk, because I think you're an awesome poster. Just saying.

Didn't spot the 3 June 1994 Misawa vs. Kawada match anywhere in there though, which I always thought PS was high on. Thought it may have come very high indeed.

Think it might just have missed the cut since the first Powerslam came out later that month I think.

What was the criteria for the 100 list, purely in-ring action?

Three Undertaker/Shawn bouts in the top 15... when they only ever had five televised, that's pretty good going.

"...the 100 most exciting, heated and/or spectacular bouts of the June 1994-February 2011 period..."

• Paid Members
"91. Paul London & El Generico vs The Cutler Brothers vs The Young Bucks (July 30th 2010, PWG Seven)"

Even Jack Evans would have got sick of the highspots 5 minutes into that match. Couldn't have been more stereotypically "Indie" if they'd tried.

I maybe way off here but you seem to bash the 'indie high-spot' style an awful lot, yet seem to always watch plenty of matches from companies such as PWG which pretty much define that style of wrestling. Sometimes I get the feeling you watch them just so you can make digs at them. Although it'd be amusing had you written that it was full of high-spots and "couldn't have been more "indie" if they'd tried" without having even watched the match, and knew how it'd have gone down just because it featured those guys in a PWG ring.

I don't mean to sound like a berk, because I think you're an awesome poster. Just saying.

I really don't watch much Indies, it's just that a couple of times a year a show or match will garner such hype that I have to give in and download it. Seven was getting the "OMG best show ever!!" treatment, so I gave in, and as usual with internet hype, I was left disappointed. The aforementioned main event probably could have had the intended "Holy shit, car crash!" feel if it hadn't have been preceded by the EXACT SAME style of match right from the start of the show. Credit to Chris Sabin/Japanese guy, and Daniel Bryan/Choppy McBackbreaker for knowing their place on the card, every other match on the show was typical indie overkill, especially the main event, and some jobbers retirement match. Also, I learned that Chris Hero and Davey Richards are still shit.

You're right though, I could have slammed this show without watching it, and I would have been right too. PWG lived up to every negative expectation I have of the indies.

If Hitman/Austin at WM is verging on top 10, i'm a bit surprised their Survivor Series match is nowhere to be seen. Historical significance aside, i always remembered both matches being at a similar level.

Hitman/Bulldog and HHH/Cactus, as Ian mentioned, are pretty conspicuous by their absence also. I'd probably have HBK/Mankind quite a bit higher too, although i guess it would've been if it had any kind of decisive ending.

Seven was getting the "OMG best show ever!!" treatment, so I gave in, and as usual with internet hype, I was left disappointed. The aforementioned main event probably could have had the intended "Holy shit, car crash!" feel if it hadn't have been preceded by the EXACT SAME style of match right from the start of the show.

I don't think the opening match was similar at all. It was a spotfest aye, but it was less heated and had nothing to really get involved in, other than the moves. The main event felt like a proper brawl, even among all of the crazy contrived spots.

Hero in PWG is certainly an over-rated thing. The matches are almost certainly going to be too long and involve about 50 elbows. No dice. The only matches of his in PWG I've really enjoyed were Akira Tozawa at the BOLA last year and another BOLA with Low Ki.

I loved the main event though. I was constantly thinking "fucking hell" while watching it, not just because of the moves but the pure chaos that surrounded them. I think that the atmosphere of the audience really helped it along as well.

EDIT: I should note that I love PWG. I love the locals that come on in the early part of the card. I love guys like Generico, Steen and Tozawa. I love anything in the tag title scene.

• Paid Members
Not a single Jushin Liger match in the top 100? :(

Yeah the New Japan juniors crew of the 90s dont feature as much as I expected. I suspect Mo was more of an All Japan fan at the time.

Liger's very best singles work occurred before PS launched. He had tons of great tag and six man matches in the mid-to-late nineties involving the likes of Kanemoto, Ohtani, El Samurai, Takaiwa, Ka Shin and Nogami. None of them, in my view, were quite top 100 calibre. The New Japan juniors totally smoked their All Japan counterparts, though, so it wasn't really a case of me being more into All Japan as the reason for no Liger appearances in the list. Had I produced a top 200 list than Liger would've made several appearances.

Yeah the New Japan juniors crew of the 90s dont feature as much as I expected. I suspect Mo was more of an All Japan fan at the time.

Liger's very best singles work occurred before PS launched. He had tons of great tag and six man matches in the mid-to-late nineties involving the likes of Kanemoto, Ohtani, El Samurai, Takaiwa, Ka Shin and Nogami. None of them, in my view, were quite top 100 calibre. The New Japan juniors totally smoked their All Japan counterparts, though, so it wasn't really a case of me being more into All Japan as the reason for no Liger appearances in the list. Had I produced a top 200 list than Liger would've made several appearances.

Was the NOAH tag w/ Tanaka vs Kanemura and Kikuchi not knocking on the door?

• Paid Members

Was the NOAH tag w/ Tanaka vs Kanemura and Kikuchi not knocking on the door?

It was knocking on the door but didn't quite make the grade. It was definitely a fantastic match though.

Archived