Raw Discussion 14/02/2011 *spoilers*

xear

Meltzer & Alvarez talked about the failed attempts at censoring The Rock's speech, so I think that was done by USA Network or WWE themselves rather than SKY doing it.

From what I've read, USA only tried it for the first one and then gave up, but the Canadian and UK networks kept trying.

Yeah i had that version too... I started noticing that all the 'asses' after the first one werent bleeped. But the first once was the most predictable

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Meltzer & Alvarez talked about the failed attempts at censoring The Rock's speech, so I think that was done by USA Network or WWE themselves rather than SKY doing it.

From what I've read, USA only tried it for the first one and then gave up, but the Canadian and UK networks kept trying.

Stop the rock, can't stop the rock...

Loads of facebook mentions yesterday from people who don't even watch wrestling which shows The Rock returning is a big deal, shame he's not wrestling but more promos like that one will do very nicely.

Loads of facebook mentions yesterday from people who don't even watch wrestling which shows The Rock returning is a big deal, shame he's not wrestling but more promos like that one will do very nicely.

I assume that he will wrestle at some point as he explicitly stated that he was back and was never going away. Unless he's going to become some kind of long-term authority figure he's going to have to wrestle at some point.

• Paid Members

Incredible stuff. Reminded me of what it was like to be fan of wrestling again.

7 years since and he hasn't missed a beat in the slightest. Real hairs on end stuff. If he is back full time, then I shall have to be checking this out.

• Paid Members
The ratings are in...

I guess that's what happen when you don't announce and promote things beforehand. Still, the real test will be if people watch Raw next week to see if The Rock's on.

Rajah sez :

"The show averaged 4.8 million viewers, which is down from the 4.9 million the show averaged last week.

As reported earlier, the 20-minute over-run segment featuring The Rock's return to WWE television averaged 5.7 million viewers"

So, applying a touch of algebra, 3.14 show average, 3.75 while Rock is on screen.

Using a shade more algebra using the average for the whole 140 minute show (my EPG said 144 IIRC), on average there were 4.65 million watching the segments before the big reveal, for the 5.7 million watching Rock to result in a 4.8m average for the whole show.

So (extremely) approximately speaking, The Rock being on telly caused 1.05m more viewers in America to watch that segment and keep watching because it was The Rock, than bothered with the rest of the show.

But yeah, next week's ratings will be interesting. Probably more interesting than sitting here with my calculator.

• Paid Members
I assume that he will wrestle at some point as he explicitly stated that he was back and was never going away.

He was almost definitely talking wet though.

That's what I assumed, or rather he meant he'd be making more regular non-wrestling appearances (i.e not waiting another 7 years for the next one) not that he literally wasn't going away ever. Its not like he's about to become a full time roster member or anything, his movie career is still going strong. Doesn't he still have that deal with Disney?

Loved The Rock's Promo. Hope the current crop of Superstars got inspired and took notes.

On another note - Who was the lady who left the limo that parked up at arena, just before The Rock's segment? (link below)

WWE RAW 5:40 - Limo Pulls up to arena

• Paid Members
I assume that he will wrestle at some point as he explicitly stated that he was back and was never going away.

He was almost definitely talking wet though.

That's what I assumed, or rather he meant he'd be making more regular non-wrestling appearances (i.e not waiting another 7 years for the next one) not that he literally wasn't going away ever. Its not like he's about to become a full time roster member or anything, his movie career is still going strong. Doesn't he still have that deal with Disney?

He's said himself he definitely wont be wrestling, including a facebook statement about it last week.

There was a time when his contract ran out and wasnt resigned, which apparantly led to some friction between Vince and Rock. I imagine the never going away thing means he'll have some sort of legends contract and no one will be bad-mouthing him in interviews again.

No wrestling. Probably one (in arena/live) appearance on the go-home Raw and one at Wrestlemania, then he'll fuck off for 6-9 months.

The Cena stuff would be perfect for a fued, but if Rock isnt wrestling they'll team up against a mob (just a beatdown, no match) at Mania, help each other out, then shake hands/gain respect/pass the torch etc.

Such an epic moment... it's like everyone stepped up their game because the Rock was there, Raw was the best it's been in absolute ages. Hell, even as short as the Divas match was, Eve pulled out a slick little move there. Both Daniel Bryan and John Morrison were made to look good, and Miz picked up a credible victory.

But... THE ROCK! Was incredible. The lights going out and all that was a great touch, although to me gave it away a bit, they wouldn't do that kind of grand production for Bob Barker or Justin Bieber. The roar was defeaning, Cena was probably backstage crying that he could never get a reaction like that. Fucking hell, you could barely hear Rock's music initially. Even if Rock doesn't wrestle (I'm not buying his "never leaving" schtick, even if it came across sincere. Nice acting.), at least he made a point of saying he'll get physically involved at Mania. Rock really was the voice of the People ripping through Cena, although I really loved the confusion from some of the little kids: "why is everyone going crazy for the Tooth Fairy?"

• Paid Members
Cena was probably backstage crying that he could never get a reaction like that.

If he fucked off for 7 years he probably could. Its not like the Rock was Mr. Popular during his last stint. He was getting booed out Madison Square Garden and the SkyDome during his last run as a babyface. Cena's got nothing to cry about. He's still the man everyone in the business would swap places with. It is pretty ironic, that in 2002 the old star came back and the Rock got booed out of the building because "he was no Hulk!". Now The Rock is the old star returning and poor Cena's getting it in the neck because "he's no Rock". Cena will come back in a few years and Haku's son will be getting booed because "he's no John!" It's the circle of life. Its the wheel of fortune.

Archived