Raw Discussion 14/02/2011 *spoilers*

xear

• Paid Members
Loads of facebook mentions yesterday from people who don't even watch wrestling which shows The Rock returning is a big deal, shame he's not wrestling but more promos like that one will do very nicely.

I assume that he will wrestle at some point as he explicitly stated that he was back and was never going away. Unless he's going to become some kind of long-term authority figure he's going to have to wrestle at some point.

Unless, perhaps, they're going to do an angle where he loses a "Loser Leaves WWE" match at some point in the near future? A bit like how Ric Flair said he would never retire before being told by Vince he would have to if he lost his next match.

It is pretty ironic, that in 2002 the old star came back and the Rock got booed out of the building because "he was no Hulk!".

I'll be honest with you: I've never heard of anyone booing The Rock because of that. For being stale and doing the same stuff over and over again, sure - there really wasn't much more he could do as a face. And he was also getting strongly booed because most people, even casuals, seemed to pick up on the fact that he was going to go off filming again.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cena was probably backstage crying that he could never get a reaction like that.

If he fucked off for 7 years he probably could. Its not like the Rock was Mr. Popular during his last stint. He was getting booed out Madison Square Garden and the SkyDome during his last run as a babyface.

I was at both WrestleMania X8 and XX, and while I agree that he was booed in the SkyDome, he got a massive pop at MSG.

Cena was probably backstage crying that he could never get a reaction like that.

If he fucked off for 7 years he probably could. Its not like the Rock was Mr. Popular during his last stint. He was getting booed out Madison Square Garden and the SkyDome during his last run as a babyface.

I was at both WrestleMania X8 and XX, and while I agree that he was booed in the SkyDome, he got a massive pop at MSG.

I may be wrong but I think he is referring to Summerslam 2002 when he got booed in Rhode Island New York (not MSG)

I hated it when Rock got booed in the Skydome, however I believe he got booed as pointed out above because of his overexposure and the fact he was leaving to do films and the novelty of old man river coming back and being superover in Toronto, I remember the orginal staredown on RAW they had the majority of the crowd where for The Rock

The difference between The Rock and Cena is in there respective primes with the audience there wasnt a boo in the air for The Rock when every week there is at least a small yet vocal minority booing Cena out the building

Cena is the biggest star in wrestling no question, but a portion of the wrestling audience have just never warmed to him for whatever reason

• Paid Members
I'll be honest with you: I've never heard of anyone booing The Rock because of that. For being stale and doing the same stuff over and over again, sure - there really wasn't much more he could do as a face. And he was also getting strongly booed because most people, even casuals, seemed to pick up on the fact that he was going to go off filming again.

Not against Hogan it wasn't. Hogan was getting babyface pops before he even made contact with the Rock. Hogan's return was met with chants of "Hogan" from the Chicago fans at No Way Out 2002. And in Toronto, there was no chance of him being more popular than Hogan. You just have to look at the SkyDome that night to see it wasnt a case of "Rock's leaving to do a film booo". It was because Hulk Hogan was back after 9 years and the fans picked their hero. The Rock wasnt ever booed up until that point, since his return. They were just booing the Rock. They were reacting to every move Hogan was making, and holding up signs and waving their foam fingers and all that.

I remember the orginal staredown on RAW they had the majority of the crowd where for The Rock

But Hogan was supposedly the heel, Rock was supposed to have the whole crowd on his side and the fans were split. You'll have to rewatch that one again if you think the majority were with the Rock. On the edited DVD version that might be, but on the live VHS copy that wasnt the case at all. The best moment of 2002 for me was chants of Rock which stopped and then a booming "Hogan" chant as Hulk turned his head to the fans. Also, the Rock was getting booes leading up to his match with Steve Austin in 2001 and on the night Austin turned heel and beat him with a chair. Rock was popular, but the fans had a way of taking a dislike to him as well.

Not against Hogan it wasn't. Hogan was getting babyface pops before he even made contact with the Rock. Hogan's return was met with chants of "Hogan" from the Chicago fans at No Way Out 2002. And in Toronto, there was no chance of him being more popular than Hogan. You just have to look at the SkyDome that night to see it wasnt a case of "Rock's leaving to do a film booo". It was because Hulk Hogan was back after 9 years and the fans picked their hero. The Rock wasnt ever booed up until that point, since his return. They were just booing the Rock. They were reacting to every move Hogan was making, and holding up signs and waving their foam fingers and all that.

I remember the orginal staredown on RAW they had the majority of the crowd where for The Rock

But Hogan was supposedly the heel, Rock was supposed to have the whole crowd on his side and the fans were split. You'll have to rewatch that one again if you think the majority were with the Rock. On the edited DVD version that might be, but on the live VHS copy that wasnt the case at all. The best moment of 2002 for me was chants of Rock which stopped and then a booming "Hogan" chant as Hulk turned his head to the fans. Also, the Rock was getting booes leading up to his match with Steve Austin in 2001 and on the night Austin turned heel and beat him with a chair. Rock was popular, but the fans had a way of taking a dislike to him as well.

I just watched it again on youtube it wasnt from dvd it was from TV

Your right about the booming Hogan chant at one point but the fans where in The Rocks corner for the rest of the segment

The fans never booed The Rock at all from 1999- the Austin build up, plus remember the huge pop he got when he was a heel at Backlash 1999 when he was facing Austin

• Paid Members
Your right about the booming Hogan chant at one point but the fans where in The Rocks corner for the rest of the segment

Apart from when they were beating his head in with a hammer and Hogan got a fake 123 on him. Their was a big pop for the three count. And heelish actions like that shouldn't have raised such a reaction. Actually, apart from the night Hogan beat the Rock on Raw clean in the big nWo vs Rock and Austin match, the WWF switched all of Rock and Hogan's segments to the taped Smackdown show so they didnt find themselves in a position where Hogan was getting bigger reactions than him. Anyway, there was no chance of Hogan getting booed in Canada. Hogan never got booed in Canada, even when he was in the nWo. Canada's as much of a Hogan country than it is Bret Hart's.

I wasn't talking about 1999 at all. I was talking to the build up to WrestleMania X7, where Austin seemed to be getting the bigger reactions leading up to the event. In a babyface vs babyface situation, the fans seemed to pick Austin.

Apart from when they were beating his head in with a hammer and Hogan got a fake 123 on him. Their was a big pop for the three count. And heelish actions like that shouldn't have raised such a reaction. Actually, apart from the night Hogan beat the Rock on Raw clean in the big nWo vs Rock and Austin match, the WWF switched all of Rock and Hogan's segments to the taped Smackdown show so they didnt find themselves in a position where Hogan was getting bigger reactions than him.

Ill be honest I only watched the til the bit where Rock rockbottomed him, I forgot about that crappy angle afterwards with the hammer and the truck

The thing is though as I pointed out above the fans at this point where starting to get wind of The Rock abondening them and he had been a main character for 3 years as a face

If Hogan had turned up in say July 1999 or August 2000, I think whilst Hogan is that massive a name that he would have got a few cheers I dont think the Rock would have got booed, at the points I just mentioned The Rock would have been just too cool, too fresh and too good to be booed. Not taking away the response Hogan got or his popularity but he did face a wrestler he was a weakened animal at that point a bit like Hogan was when he faced Undertaker and got booed at Survivor Series 1991

Apart from when they were beating his head in with a hammer and Hogan got a fake 123 on him. Their was a big pop for the three count. And heelish actions like that shouldn't have raised such a reaction. Actually, apart from the night Hogan beat the Rock on Raw clean in the big nWo vs Rock and Austin match, the WWF switched all of Rock and Hogan's segments to the taped Smackdown show so they didnt find themselves in a position where Hogan was getting bigger reactions than him. Anyway, there was no chance of Hogan getting booed in Canada. Hogan never got booed in Canada, even when he was in the nWo. Canada's as much of a Hogan country than it is Bret Hart's.

I wasn't talking about 1999 at all. I was talking to the build up to WrestleMania X7, where Austin seemed to be getting the bigger reactions leading up to the event. In a babyface vs babyface situation, the fans seemed to pick Austin.

Sorry my mistake

I cant remember the reactions going in to Wrestkemania 17 your probably right though

I will say though that many at the time including Power Slam mentioned that going into Survivor Series 1999 they thought the crowd by a slight margin favored The Rock over Austin plus they mentioned WWF had noticed this and intended to turn Austin heel on Rock to set up the main event of Wrestlemania the next year, which obviosly due to Austins injury never happened

• Paid Members
If Hogan had turned up in say July 1999 or August 2000, I think whilst Hogan is that massive a name that he would have got a few cheers I dont think the Rock would have got booed, at the points I just mentioned The Rock would have been just too cool, too fresh and too good to be booed. Not taking away the response Hogan got or his popularity but he did face a wrestler he was a weakened animal at that point a bit like Hogan was when he faced Undertaker and got booed at Survivor Series 1991

The Rock never got booed against Austin in November, Jericho in December and January or Undertaker in February. He wasnt getting boos and his popularity didnt seem to be dropping at all. It was only when he came face to face with a bigger star and someone who the fans had fonder memories of that he came unstuck.

And if he returned in 2000, it would still have been the biggest star in the history of wrestling returning after 7 or 8 years. Hogan has his towns. Its been evident throughout his career and his heel run that there are just certain towns you go to where Hogan wasnt going to get booed. Thats how wrestling works. When the old star returns, people forget about whats current until the old star outstays his welcome.

I will say though that many at the time including Power Slam mentioned that going into Survivor Series 1999 they thought the crowd by a slight margin favored The Rock over Austin plus they mentioned WWF had noticed this and intended to turn Austin heel on Rock to set up the main event of Wrestlemania the next year, which obviosly due to Austins injury never happened

I agree with this. Austin was going heel at WrestleMania 16, because Rock had more or less overtaken him. What doesn't get mentioned is, Austin was meant to win the belt at Survivor Series 99, keep it until WrestleMania 2000 and lose it to the Rock and Rock and Austin were going to spend 2000 battling it out for the belt. Wonder how Triple H's career would have panned out, if Austin hadnt got injured? You'd have no McMahon-Helmsley storyling, he wouldnt have gotten a sniff of the belt for ages and Austin would have been the main heel in 2000.

The Rock never got booed against Austin in November, Jericho in December and January or Undertaker in February. He wasnt getting boos and his popularity didnt seem to be dropping at all. It was only when he came face to face with a bigger star and someone who the fans had fonder memories of that he came unstuck.

And if he returned in 2000, it would still have been the biggest star in the history of wrestling returning after 7 or 8 years. Hogan has his towns. Its been evident throughout his career and his heel run that there are just certain towns you go to where Hogan wasnt going to get booed. Thats how wrestling works. When the old star returns, people forget about whats current until the old star outstays his welcome.

I agree with this. Austin was going heel at WrestleMania 16, because Rock had more or less overtaken him. What doesn't get mentioned is, Austin was meant to win the belt at Survivor Series 99, keep it until WrestleMania 2000 and lose it to the Rock and Rock and Austin were going to spend 2000 battling it out for the belt. Wonder how Triple H's career would have panned out, if Austin hadnt got injured? You'd have no McMahon-Helmsley storyling, he wouldnt have gotten a sniff of the belt for ages and Austin would have been the main heel in 2000.

The Rock was getting his fair share of boo's at No Mercy 2001 in St Louis, when he defended the WCW Title to Chris Jericho though.

The Rock was getting cheered before Hogan turned up but he was nowhere near all popular as he was a year earlier, people noticed it at the time

Ill give Hogan his due, he was the wrestler that tipped it over the top but it was going that way anyway, with or without Hogan I think Rock would still have gotten booed at Summerslam against Lesnar the fans where slowly turning against him at this point

I think at the time Hogan turned up RVD, HHH or Austin would have got the lions share against The Rock to be honest

Archived