The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

There's a list of games here with CD audio tracks, but I'm sure some are missing and it doesn't include Japanese titles.

https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_PlayStation_games_with_CD_audio_tracks

Some are definitely missing (Mega Man 8!) but that‘s a cool list i’ll definitely be having a try of.

@Big Bully Busick I watch your Youtube stuff during work but it might be worth talking a bit about the links you post rather than dead dropping them! They’re interesting stuff and it would be nice to get some discussion going.

Just now, FLips said:

Some are definitely missing (Mega Man 8!) but that‘s a cool list i’ll definitely be having a try of.

@Big Bully Busick I watch your Youtube stuff during work but it might be worth talking a bit about the links you post rather than dead dropping them! They’re interesting stuff and it would be nice to get some discussion going.

Fair point

I'll do more of that moving forwards

Admittedly I droppthe last one whilst cooking 😂

• Paid Members
Just now, Big Bully Busick said:

Fair point

I'll do more of that moving forwards

Admittedly I droppthe last one whilst cooking 😂

Sorry not trying to backseat mod or anything, I just don’t think you’re doing them justice!

1 hour ago, FLips said:

No there are games that let you do that. I did the same with GTA as well. Mega Man 8 lets you too I know that for sure. Loaded as well has exclusive Zool 2 tracks if you do it.

The disc from Network Q RAC Rally Championship on the PC could be played on a CD player. Great game and classic early 90s dance/trance soundtrack as well. 

Maybe on a similar avenue, games on vinyl!

This video just popped up on my feed featuring a little game about The Thompson Twins of all acts, I know Chris Seivey/Frank Sidebottom also had a game on a b-side of his, too.

I imagine even at the time they were a pain in the fucking arse to get working.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, FLips said:

No there are games that let you do that. I did the same with GTA as well. Mega Man 8 lets you too I know that for sure. Loaded as well has exclusive Zool 2 tracks if you do it.

My layman's understanding is that moving to discs meant they had absolutely loads of storage space, but the PS1 still only had 2MB of RAM so there were limits to what they could realistically make use of within that space. So that's where we got things like hefty pre-rendered cutscenes and/or loading it up with playable music tracks

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Big Bully Busick said:

Vib Ribbon is brilliant fun

It's on PS Plus currently and I played a ton of it recently 

Thanks for the heads-up, this is now going to eat all of my free time.

To crossover the demo disc chat and audio track chat, there was a demo disc that had some clunky 3rd person dungeon crawler on it - possibly Excalibur 2555 AD - where, if you played the demo for long enough, it would start playing music from one of the other games on the disc, so you were wandering around this medieval dungeon setting to the music from a racing game playing. Confused the hell out of me at the time, but I assume it's because the full game's code would, at a certain point, call for "Track 3" or whatever to be played, but it hadn't been changed for the demo version, so "Track 3" was a completely different bit of music from a completely different game.

Speaking of Excalibur 2555AD, it's a rightly forgotten game that I only know from the demo, and that I spend years at a time not being able to remember the title of, but me and my brother have routinely been quoting the horrendously acted dialogue to each other for the last 25 years or more. "What have you got to barter with then, eh?". "I can't serve you a drink, because I haven't got any glasses". Awful stuff, but funny what sticks with you.

Similarly, there's a couple of Net Yaroze games that will always stay with me from demo discs - one is the imaginatively titled Adventure Game, which had a lot of fun RPG in-jokes to elevate it above being an otherwise pretty generic game, the other is Terra Incognita, which I once saw described as "translated from Japanese into English by somebody who apparently speaks neither". There's an amazing bit early on where your cowardly sidekick won't join you on an adventure, which he explains by saying, "I'm really, really scary".

• Paid Members

Playing Tubular Bells II on Vib Ribbon is one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in gaming difficulty terms. Nigh impossible.

16 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Maybe on a similar avenue, games on vinyl!

This video just popped up on my feed featuring a little game about The Thompson Twins of all acts, I know Chris Seivey/Frank Sidebottom also had a game on a b-side of his, too.

I imagine even at the time they were a pain in the fucking arse to get working.

She is amazing 

Watch her repair videos 

Now this fan made game is pretty much exactly what I wanted from a Masters of the Universe game in every way

Instead we got some terrible adaptations of the franchise littered around various systems that nobody cared about

I absolutely love how remisisant of the show this is, from the art style to the sound effects and soundtrack 

And you can even choose Lion O for some fantastic reason 

• Paid Members

Oh, wow! It never occurred to me they could've done essentially a Golden Axe port for MOTU. Why didn't they?! Glad someone's done it now, anyway.