The Soaps Thread

Steveo2007

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The last ever episode of Brookie is on there! That's a Cracker, and I don't mean Corkhill's pooch. It's feature length, full of F-words, and quality violence. Oh yeah, and the Grange Hill theme tune.

I hated that when I saw it, mainly because Jimmy Corkhill's monologue about the decline of British telly was overlong and probably went right over the heads of the Big Brother viewers it was aimed at.

Interesting Corkhill fact: Dean Sullivan had a long gay affair with Fred Talbot the This Morning Weatherman.

That's true enough, but the lynching of (not pettily named at all) Jack Michaelson more than made up for it. Brilliant.

Jack Michaelson was a witty idea, but what about when Ron Dixon feuded with his doppleganger Dick Ronson circa 1997?

That had to be the most mental storyline ever seen in a British soap. I believe Ronson disappeared after it was revealed he wore a syrup.

The last ever episode of Brookie is on there! That's a Cracker, and I don't mean Corkhill's pooch. It's feature length, full of F-words, and quality violence. Oh yeah, and the Grange Hill theme tune.

I hated that when I saw it, mainly because Jimmy Corkhill's monologue about the decline of British telly was overlong and probably went right over the heads of the Big Brother viewers it was aimed at.

Interesting Corkhill fact: Dean Sullivan had a long gay affair with Fred Talbot the This Morning Weatherman.

That's true enough, but the lynching of (not pettily named at all) Jack Michaelson more than made up for it. Brilliant.

Was Michaelson the drug dealer who moved into the Close? If its what I am thinking of that was pretty heavy stuff when the likes of Corkhill, Tinhead, Mick Jonno's relative and the guy who played Niall in Hollyoaks (tried to wipe out the McQueens) broke into his house and then hung him out of his window.

• Moderators

The very same. The story about that is that Channel 4 controller Michael Jackson axed Brookside, and Phil Redmond, not being a typical bitter scouser at all, brought in Jack Michaelson who RUINED LIVES. That was also the reason for Jimmy Corkhill's shit soapbox speech. But to be fair, the Michaelson stuff was shit hot.

The very same. The story about that is that Channel 4 controller Michael Jackson axed Brookside, and Phil Redmond, not being a typical bitter scouser at all, brought in Jack Michaelson who RUINED LIVES. That was also the reason for Jimmy Corkhill's shit soapbox speech. But to be fair, the Michaelson stuff was shit hot.

There is the possibility we may see a return of Brookside in the future as there's renovation work going on with the close. I hope to see it come back one day as I loved Brookside.

• Awards Moderator

Me and Cracker (kind of) in Jimmy and Jackie's house, in 2000.

5840_136273617278_579012278_3577278_5755978_n.jpg

I was fucking obsessed with Brookside in my teens. I clearly wasn't that keen on food though.

Brookie was brilliant, up until about 1995/6. The McArdle/George Jackson storyline, Jimmy and his drugs, Barry Grant gradually turning into a lunatic, Billy Corkhill racing his car over the Close gardens during his doleite years, anything involving the immense Mick Johnson (the steroids, twatting the burglar, the chippy/Pizza Parlour, mercy killing his Ma-in-law) and the Jordache storyline. Sinbad breaking down in the back of number 10 when digging up/re-burying Trevor was superb.

My mate (who you think looks like Paul Jewel, Butch) was in it for a couple of years with his twin brother, as George Jackson's sons. They're in the last episode too.

Fuck it, I'm sticking on some episodes now.

• Moderators

Brookside's probably one of my first TV memories. The death of Sue Sullivan and her nipper being killed by Barry Grant, if I remember correctly. The man who played Barry Grant used to own a nightclub in Rhyl, apparently.

Cheers for the info Butch as I was completely unaware of the backstory behind the character. I was a fairly avid viewer of the show, but the whole Nikki Shadwick rape storyline which went on for a year and had a completely weak ass ending soured things for me. That, and old Sinbad being accused of being a paedo, which I wasn't a fan of. A personal highlight was when Ziggy Greaves turned up as Corkhill's son Jimmy Jr.

Coronation Street and Neighbours are the only two I watch and based on the quality of the two right now I have voted for Coronation Street.

I watch Coronation Street fairly regularly, one of the great strengths of Coronation Street is you can go without watching it for weeks at a time and then get caught up with it fairly quickly. It also has a great mix of characters and it

Coronation Street and Neighbours are the only two I watch and based on the quality of the two right now I have voted for Coronation Street.

I watch Coronation Street fairly regularly, one of the great strengths of Coronation Street is you can go without watching it for weeks at a time and then get caught up with it fairly quickly. It also has a great mix of characters and it

• Paid Members

Neighbours was the bollocks back in the day. Jim Robinson was awesome. Remarkably in the last 24 hours I have seen him in Lost when my mate was watching it on DVD, and then in an episode of Conchords. What a man.

Plus over the years it gave us some excellent wankpieces. Izzy especially kept me watching long after I should have given up on it.

• Paid Members
Nicola Charles was my Queen of Ramsey Street.

Oh aye. There was always a debate at my school about whether Annalise was fit or not. I personally didn't understand why there was even a debate, one of the finest pieces of soap totty ever, surely?

kimberley77.jpg

• Moderators

She certainly was. I remember when I was about 12 or 13 she had some kind of line of leotards in the Grattans (which looked uncannily like Bret Hart's stuff), and I really used to indulge in self-abuse over that.

• Paid Members
Couldn't stick Annalise. When your first storyline is dropping 'em to that fossil Lou Carpenter, it kind of puts you off.

Get out! I wouldnt let that put me off a go on Annalise. He could be watching through the bedroom window or hiding under the bed for all I care.