The Soaps Thread

Steveo2007

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Neighbours has been 90% awful for years, but I still watch it out of habit, as I grew up with the older characters like Lou Carpenter, Paul Robinson, Toadfish and the Kennedys, and couldn't bear not knowing what becomes of them. If they'd kill that lot off in another plane crash, I could mercifully give up on the show.Home and Away's where it's at. A far greater hit-to-miss ratio, with some absolutely stonking storylines like Miles Copeland's invisible friend and the year-long people smuggling case.

I agree with all of this. Home and Away is tremendous, and has been for a few years. Aden's abusive grandfather storyline, Belle's death, plus sometimes it goes hilariously overboard like that episode where Roman went full-on Rambo searching for the guy who kidnapped Nicole. It also does a good job of replacing popular characters like Aden and Geoff with guys like Romeo. Neighbours can't do this at all; fit-as-fuck Rachel leaving and being replaced by Kate Ramsey is pretty tragic.Zeke is great though. Fuck the haters!

I don't think I've seen Home and Away since the days of "Tug" and Dieter Brummer.

Same here. Australian soaps these days looks shit... either that or they're exactly the same as they used to be, only my tastes have developed to more sophisticated pastimes like watching oily men wrestle.

Coronation Street's the only one I bother with these days. It goes through long boring periods with too much emphasis on boring cunts like Ashley and Ginger Claire when I tend to lose interest, but the trick is to start watching again whenever they introduce a new 'pantomime villain' character. That way you never miss the hilarious antics of Charlie Stubbs and his ability to pull any woman just by wearing a stripey shirt and staring at her across a bar, or Tony Gordon with his one massive eye.Worryingly, Dillkid has summed up my thoughts about Eastenders perfectly. Too many annoying little urchins not fit enough to get cast in Hollyoaks, and not enough pissed Phil.

• Paid Members

A shoutout here definately has to go to my favourite Soap ever, Prisoner Cell Block H. Lizzie Birdsworth was awesome.

One day I'm going to invest in the complete set of episodes they're releasing on DVD. I co-ran an appreciation society at college. Perfect Sunday night viewing, it was.

EastEnders has been tremendous under Diederick Santer and it's the only soap I stand a chance of watching most nights. Corrie just does absoloutely nothing for me, whereas EastEnders feels like a Snatch Lite at it's best.And it's got Phil Mitchell. And I hear he hits the crack pipe pretty soon. That's got me watching.

Definitely agree with you there. Eastenders has its boring bits, but you can always count on it to create an amazing storyline that can draw you back in. Corrie seems too much like a comedy show to be taken seriously and I can just never get into it the same way I can with Eastenders.

I am not particularly a fan of any soap, but I guess if you had to force me into watching one it would be Coronation Street. I really don't understand how anyone can enjoy watching Eastenders - it is the most miserable, depressing and soulless show of all time. The accents are fucking insufferable and well, I for one find it very hard to tolerate.