Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
In the comic's I prefer the normal clothes version of Wolverine. In the films the X-Men leather is fine as I think the yellow/Red-Brown or even the mask would look out of place. If Wolverine wears a costume I like his X-force 1.

Would you prefer Batman without a mask in the movies too?

• Paid Members
In the comic's I prefer the normal clothes version of Wolverine. In the films the X-Men leather is fine as I think the yellow/Red-Brown or even the mask would look out of place. If Wolverine wears a costume I like his X-force 1.

Different situation. Batman has good reason to wear a costume.

Some costumes translate well to the screen - some don't. Some of them can be adapted fairly easily, whereas some would have to be adapted so much you may as well scrap them altogether and go with something better.

And yes, they absolutely do need to draw in the non-comic book fans.

• Paid Members

Some costumes translate well to the screen - some don't. Some of them can be adapted fairly easily, whereas some would have to be adapted so much you may as well scrap them altogether and go with something better.

They do need to draw in non comic fans obviously but I think if someone's going to see a superpowers based action movie they're going to expect something fun and exciting and having bright costumes won't put them off.

• Paid Members

They do need to draw in non comic fans obviously but I think if someone's going to see a superpowers based action movie they're going to expect something fun and exciting and having bright costumes won't put them off.

That'll be why the X-Men movies didn't make any money then.

It won't put them off, but it might do - they're having to work very carefully to make the costumes look both realistic and cool. The last thing you want is something that looks like it's for kids.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Spider-man's costume in the movies looks cool, Batman's costume in the movies (except the Joel Schumaker ones) looks cool, Daredevil's costume looks cool, The Watchmen's costumes look amazing, the Fantastic Four's costumes look ok.

The X-men look like estate agents going on a motorbike ride, in the first X-men film Sabretooth looks like a fucking tramp and in the Wolverine movie he looks like a dude in a jacket, I don't see how these would be worse if he looked more like in the comics, surely anyone who goes to see a movie like that expects to suspend disbelief and be visually entertained.

• Paid Members

I'm not saying that the costumes can't be done well in the right circumstances - but also bear in mind that the X-Men movies came before ANY of the movies you're talking about. They pretty much had to break new ground, and it would have been a step too far.

Could they do it now? Well, they could, but there are two problems - firstly, they're a group, but they tend not to dress like one. Secondly, they've already established the outfits. Thirdly, and most importantly, Wolverine's costume is ludicrous. Utterly ludicrous. It's one of the main costumes that could never work in real life.

• Paid Members
What if there were a middle ground? still have Wolvie wear the black leather but have a significant section of yellow on it and try to replicate the patern of his outfit, I dont think the mask would have done any harm either.

That sounds cool, it's really the lack of mask I have an issue with, he hasn't worn it once in 4 films!

Better watch this while you still can, it's the 5 min Thor trailer that was recently shown at Comic Con and it looks magnificent I must say.

THOR!

EDIT: Ooops it's already on page 8, my bad.

Edited by Jas

• Paid Members
New posters from GL, I'm quite pumped for this, much more than for Thor anyway. Also apparently SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Kilowog

will be in it which is very cool for anyone who knows who that is.

green_lantern_500d2_421343s.jpg

blake_lively_gr_05c_421344s.jpg

sinestro_green__1d4_421345s.jpg

green_lantern_s_873_421346s.jpg

Liking those posters very much indeed. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm very much up for this; even the fact that Ryan Reynolds' smart-mouth is being wasted on Hal Jordan instead of Kyle Rayner isn't going to tarnish this for me. Hope we see Sinestro with the Yellow Lantern ring - EDIT: Of course we will, look at that last bloody poster, Carbomb.

If that last poster is also Sinestro, I like how they're doing the Star Wars "Dark Side" corruption thing.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
If that last poster is also Sinestro, I like how they're doing the Star Wars "Dark Side" corruption thing.

The last poster is Hector Hammond (whoever that is).

I'm glad they haven't been scared to make it nice & colourful (Sinestro's a fetching shade of purple like he should be) there are probably people in this thread who'd prefer it if Sinestro was normal coloured and everyone was wearing jeans and leather jackets. :smug:

• Paid Members

The last poster is Hector Hammond (whoever that is).

One of Lantern's classic enemies - sort of like his Lex Luther, I suppose.

I'm glad they haven't been scared to make it nice & colourful (Sinestro's a fetching shade of purple like he should be) there are probably people in this thread who'd prefer it if Sinestro was normal coloured and everyone was wearing jeans and leather jackets. :smug:

Seeing as Sinestro's alien, I don't think anyone would ask for him to be normal-coloured. Jeans and leather jackets, though...

guy_gardner_1.jpg