Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Yeah, that's a very good point and, you're right of course. It's more the jump from comic to movie, though. You can have Cap running around the front in his winged helmet in a comic, and it's fine because there's always a suspension of disbelief anyway. A movie audience isn't going to be as forgiving, so I can see the thinking behind making him less of a bullet magnet for those scenes. I honestly would hate an Ultimates style film, and I'm looking forward to how they do the full costume, but for the early World War Two scenes I don't have a problem with them striking a balance between the need for him to scream "AMERICA" with his look and the need to throw members of the Wermacht through walls in a semi-convincing way.

There's a sporting chance that this may not be around for too long, but it struck us as worth seeing, given that it paints the movie of Marvel's Thor in a far more positive light than many web posters might have you otherwise believe.

For this is the five minutes of footage of the film that appeared at Comic-Con this year, which all of a sudden opened many people's eyes to the potential of the film. Trailer Addict has put the material live, and it's thanks to them that you can see it below

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/thor/comic-con-trailer

• Paid Members

Wow. That looks fucking amazing. That trailer's suddenly turned it from "OK, will probably pop along at some point" to "Holy fuck, got to see this the second it comes out" for me. I'm liking very much the way they've structured this.

Wow. That looks fucking amazing. That trailer's suddenly turned it from "OK, will probably pop along at some point" to "Holy fuck, got to see this the second it comes out" for me. I'm liking very much the way they've structured this.

Couldn't agree more. The trailer gave me goosebumps at how confident I am that this will be amazing

• Paid Members
Yeah, that's a very good point and, you're right of course. It's more the jump from comic to movie, though. You can have Cap running around the front in his winged helmet in a comic, and it's fine because there's always a suspension of disbelief anyway. A movie audience isn't going to be as forgiving, so I can see the thinking behind making him less of a bullet magnet for those scenes. I honestly would hate an Ultimates style film, and I'm looking forward to how they do the full costume, but for the early World War Two scenes I don't have a problem with them striking a balance between the need for him to scream "AMERICA" with his look and the need to throw members of the Wermacht through walls in a semi-convincing way.

I always hear this and it annoys me, especially in regards to Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer, 'A movie audience would think the traditional Galactus looks silly'. If you don't want to have a 50' tall purple Pharaoh in your film don't have the character in it but please don't turn him into a fucking cloud :angry: .

I'm a comic fan, I want to see the characters as they appear in the comics, would X-Men have been worse if the characters weren't all in black leather and Wolverine wore a mask? No, it would be much better.

• Paid Members

Couldn't agree more. The trailer gave me goosebumps at how confident I am that this will be amazing

Couldn't agree less, I'm literally obsessed with superhero movies and I got bored halfway through this trailer. The dude playing Thor looks about as charismatic as Linda McMahon. I'll still go to see it as soon as it comes out though :/

Edited by Pritt Stick Licker

• Paid Members
I'm a comic fan, I want to see the characters as they appear in the comics, would X-Men have been worse if the characters weren't all in black leather and Wolverine wore a mask? No, it would be much better.

Sorry, disagree on this point. Yellow spandex in real life looks awful. Only person to get away with large quantities of it was Mr. Perfect. I'm pretty certain that, given how meticulous most movie studios are when it comes to pre-production of big titles, one of the first things they would've looked at is costume; if they put the X-Men in black leather, it's most likely because they saw a test costume in yellow spandex and thought "Ugh, no way".

Think about it: the way the costumes move in the comic is not realistic, for the most part. Like the head-bit of Cyclops and Jean Grey, where the head is encase, but with holes for the hair and the face - in real life, it would look totally shit. Boobs are another example: they're supposed to be in spandex, but in the comics they move like they're supported with iron breastplates. Don't get me started on groinal areas - notice how no X-Man has any unsightly bulges in comics? Wrestlers usually have to wear at least two sets of trunks to accomplish that.

• Paid Members

It doesn't have to be one thin layer of actual spandex but it should be as close to how it is in the comic without looking shit, in the Spider-man movies the costume is form fitting and only slightly varied from the comic and it looks great.

Wolverine in black bike leathers and no mask is not the character I like (although obviously I'm aware he appears frequently in civilian clothes in the comics)

• Paid Members
Apparently THE HODGE is after Stilyan Petrov to replace Mascherano. If they can drop the rubbish links to Muntari, get pure CA$H for Masch and replace him with a cut price deal for Petrov then I think that is good business.

It doesn't have to be one thin layer of actual spandex but it should be as close to how it is in the comic without looking shit, in the Spider-man movies the costume is form fitting and only slightly varied from the comic and it looks great.

Wolverine in black bike leathers and no mask is not the character I like (although obviously I'm aware he appears frequently in civilian clothes in the comics)

A costume does not make the character. In Ultimate they do wear black leather.

UltimateWolverine.jpg

Wolverines costume always stood out and compared to the rest of the X-Men, Bright Yellow and not even gave to him by the X-Men. While most are based on darker colours.

Edited by Deaq

• Paid Members

A costume does not make the character. In Ultimate they do wear black leather.

UltimateWolverine.jpg

Wolverines costume always stood out and compared to the rest of the X-Men, Bright Yellow and not even gave to him by the X-Men. While most are based on darker colours.

I'm really an old school comic fan, you're not helping the argument with me because I think Wolverine looks shit in that picture!

• Paid Members

First-Wolverine.jpg

But you think this would be better suited for a film? Bright yellow? How you would try and convince people that there is a point to wearing bright yellow? Every Marvel film explained the costumes very well, there would be no way you could stick Wolverine in yellow spandex or a bright yellow costume made out of the same stuff wet suits are made from like fantastic four's was. Some things have a point to them Wolverines costume don't even in 90% of comics now Wolverines costume is a wifebeater vest and jeans nowadays.

Edited by Deaq

• Paid Members
First-Wolverine.jpg

But you think this would be better suited for a film? Bright yellow? How you would try and convince people that there is a point to wearing bright yellow? Every Marvel film explained the costumes very well, there would be no way you could stick Wolverine in yellow spandex or a bright yellow costume made out of the same stuff wet suits are made from like fantastic four's was. Some things have a point to them Wolverines costume don't even in 90% of comics now Wolverines costume is a wifebeater vest and jeans nowadays.

Hey man, I'm not saying it makes sense to wear bright yellow spandex but I don't read comics because they're realistic, and I don't think they should change them to appease an audience of non comic fans. Maybe if wolverine's costume was yellow leather, a bit darker than in the comics and he had a mask it would've looked good. I loved Daredevil's costume in the film, it was cleverly updated for the movie, it wasn't like it is in the comics but it was still red, he still had a mask and all the elements that make his costume what it is, it just looked good in a real setting, with the x men they didn't even try.

• Paid Members
Hey man, I'm not saying it makes sense to wear bright yellow spandex but I don't read comics because they're realistic, and I don't think they should change them to appease an audience of non comic fans. Maybe if wolverine's costume was yellow leather, a bit darker than in the comics and he had a mask it would've looked good. I loved Daredevil's costume in the film, it was cleverly updated for the movie, it wasn't like it is in the comics but it was still red, he still had a mask and all the elements that make his costume what it is, it just looked good in a real setting, with the x men they didn't even try.

Daredevil? red you say?

347-1.jpg

Why did they use the up-to-date version of DD and not his 1st costume?

Edited by Deaq

• Paid Members

I think red is really the established colour for DD's outfit, I know the yellow one was first but he only used it for a handful of issues before they changed it. Wolverine's first costume was the yellow and blue one but I see the brown one as a classic costume for him too.

Come on man, you must be playing devil's advocate, you can't honestly think this

wolveine-hugh-jackman-X3-wallpaper-wolverine-2220503-1024-768.jpg

wouldn't've been cooler if it looked more like this

469997-wolverine_brown_04_super.jpg

• Paid Members

In the comic's I prefer the normal clothes version of Wolverine. In the films the X-Men leather is fine as I think the yellow/Red-Brown or even the mask would look out of place. If Wolverine wears a costume I like his X-force 1.