Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
May as well mention that when I went to watch Ironman 2 and at the end when it showed the hammer I jumped out of my chair and screamed "WOOOOOO THOOOOOOR!" I then realised that all of the 20ish peeps that stayed as well as my family were all staring at me like I was some kind of loon.

Did anyone else get this reaction or am I infact an exceptionally geeky loon?

Did you go mad when they got cap's shield out as well?

I did have a chuckle at that, only problem (minor detail it may be) was it looked like a plastic toy rather than an indestructable shield, I hope they make the one for the film better.

Quick bit of trivia; Was Captin America's shield originally shield shaped rather than a circle?

Shield shaped, stars across the top strips running vertically down

Wasn't that just for the Ultimate Universe?

Also (not massively familiar with Cap) - has his shield always been that vibranium/adamantium "hardest substance on earth", or is that just something they came up with after Wolverine?

captainamerica1.jpg

Here's Cap's first appearance. Shield shaped shield. It got changed to the round one pretty quickly after a copyright claim from another publisher who had a hero with a similar shield...called The Shield.

It's always been described as "bulletproof" or "indestructable" but I don't think that the idea of it being the Vibranium/Iron one-of-a-kind mix turned up until the early 80s.

The real question now is;

Who will they cast to play Cap's ever popular young ally BUCKY?

I dont see how you can copyright a hero with a shield that is in the shape of........a shield, its like saying that Hawkeye is the only hero that can use a bow and arrow, or superman is the only guy that can fly, christ ripping off superheros has been going on for donkey's (Mr Fantastic/elastic-man/Elasta-girl, The Flash/The Dash/That chick from X-men 3) im sure there are other examples.

Well, he was also a patriotic type -

tn_pep01_jpg.jpg

But yeah, seems sort of silly. Anyway, the round shield rules it for all the outlandish fight scenes involving throwing it, so it all worked out OK. And that stuff should hopefully be great in the films.

Bucky is an interesting one. I would guess he'll be in it as the film is set in World War 2 and he was a big part of that, but we'll be in dangerous "annoying kid" territory. I'm not asking for them to make it a horribly "gritty" (blurgh) version of the character, but come on; he was a fifteen year old who was badass enough to punch Nazis alongside a supersoldier. Hopefully he wont be too irritating.

• Paid Members
captainamerica1.jpg

Here's Cap's first appearance. Shield shaped shield. It got changed to the round one pretty quickly after a copyright claim from another publisher who had a hero with a similar shield...called The Shield.

It's always been described as "bulletproof" or "indestructable" but I don't think that the idea of it being the Vibranium/Iron one-of-a-kind mix turned up until the early 80s.

There was also a photon shield, which was made from energy. It sucked.

At this point, may I pimp 'Comic Heroes #2' again? Available from WH Smiths, I wrote a rather large feature about the history of Captain America, including all the other film versions - even the Turkish knock off.

• Paid Members
captainamerica1.jpg

There was also a photon shield, which was made from energy. It sucked.

At this point, may I pimp 'Comic Heroes #2' again? Available from WH Smiths, I wrote a rather large feature about the history of Captain America, including all the other film versions - even the Turkish knock off.

Chris - for heaven's sake, play to your audience. The Turkish version features both Captain America and El Santo.

It is a cracking article, have read it.

• Paid Members

Hey alexander, I Googled "Captain America photon shield", couldn't find anything, but I found this, and it reminded me of your old "Jor-El" sig:

cap5.gif

It's not a very good shot, but the first image of Chris Evans in his Captain America garb has appeared. It was taken from the footage shown at Comic-Con over the weekend, although it may not yet be the final outfit.

141100.jpg

For Chris Evans has revealed that the costume evolves over the course of the film. Given that the movie has only been in production for around a month, we suspect we may end up waiting just a little more for a clearer photo.

• Paid Members
It's not a very good shot, but the first image of Chris Evans in his Captain America garb has appeared. It was taken from the footage shown at Comic-Con over the weekend, although it may not yet be the final outfit.

141100.jpg

For Chris Evans has revealed that the costume evolves over the course of the film. Given that the movie has only been in production for around a month, we suspect we may end up waiting just a little more for a clearer photo.

That looks so shit!

I hope it does end up looking vastly different to that, Evans' face looks shit too, big nose & weak chin, not superhero like at all :angry:

• Paid Members
I think it's a good thing that he wont just jump right into the classic costume. He's going to be spending quite a lot of this film fighting Nazis in World War 2. Starting out with a more streamlined military costume makes sense.

I know what you mean but the way I see it is Captain America's classic costume was actually designed in WWII! Why design a new costume to make it look like something from 1945 when the old one is for all intents and purposes actually from the time?