Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

The way I see it is that both DC and Marvel have 'multiverse' rules, alternate realities and the like. In some they change characters ethnicity, sexuality or gender. So when a character is different to how we expect its easy just to say 'well its not one of the shown comic universes'. So as I say, no big deal to me.

• Paid Members
Speaking of portrayal of black comic book peeps; was anyone bothered about there being a black Kingpin in Daredevil?

MCD is an awesome actor and all that and I know it ment alot to him to play that role but I couldnt have been the only one to say "Hang on a sec, somethings not right here".

It would've only bothered me if the actor playing him had turned out to be shit. If a producer/director changes certain things from the comics, it should at least be backed up by something that justifies it, which, in this case, was MCD putting up a great performance - probably the best one in the film, which, admittedly, isn't saying much, but nevertheless, it's true.

Besides which, Michael Clarke Duncan is probably the only established actor in existence I can think of who also has the heavy-set look that the Kingpin has in the comics; the only other actor who has anywhere near that is probably Ving Rhames, and he's black also.

Perhaps James Gandolfini might have been closer, but I don't know how well-established he was at that period, and like I said, MCD's performance more than justifies his casting.

Fair enough, I like the reasonings.

Perhaps a little nit picky then but how about X-men?

The stories portrayed characters from all around the world yet in 4 films I only recall 2 non-american accents (Gambit and Nightcrawler), I shant even mention Vinney Jones!

Aside from the butcher job they did on some classic original stories, they needlessly defaulted everyone into americans (ok Wolvie was canadian but hey), I wanted Collosus to have a russian accent, Storm to have a legit sounding African accent that didnt strangly dilute into nothing.

Perhaps im looking into it too much.

On a side note, only the other week I realised that Stan Lee was in the backround of X-2, boy was I embarressed.

• Paid Members

Fair enough, I like the reasonings.Perhaps a little nit picky then but how about X-men?The stories portrayed characters from all around the world yet in 4 films I only recall 2 non-american accents (Gambit and Nightcrawler), I shant even mention Vinney Jones!Aside from the butcher job they did on some classic original stories, they needlessly defaulted everyone into americans (ok Wolvie was canadian but hey), I wanted Collosus to have a russian accent, Storm to have a legit sounding African accent that didnt strangly dilute into nothing.Perhaps im looking into it too much.On a side note, only the other week I realised that Stan Lee was in the backround of X-2, boy was I embarressed.

I thought Colossus did have a Russian accent? And you're forgetting Professor X' British accent - was a little annoyed they decided to cut out the bit about Juggernaut being his half-brother, especially as they'd cast a British actor in the role.

• Paid Members

was a little annoyed they decided to cut out the bit about Juggernaut being his half-brother, especially as they'd cast a British actor in the role.

Yeah and the fact he was a Mutant in it also.Juggernaut could have a full film based on him vs the X-men not just the muscle of a group. Edited by Deaq

• Paid Members
was a little annoyed they decided to cut out the bit about Juggernaut being his half-brother, especially as they'd cast a British actor in the role.

Yeah and the fact he was a Mutant in it also.

He's a mutant in the Ultimate Marvel universe.

They got rid of all that "Crimson Gem of Cyttorak" business? Probably for the best. But it's probably the only decent move they've ever made in the Ultimate universe.

• Paid Members
Another new shot from Thor

ZZ0FFB1DBF.jpg

Looks like Loki (far left) is wearing his horned helmet like in the comics, this makes me happy. (the set looks a bit 'Flash Gordon' though)

Seriously, this looks like Skeletor's throne in the Masters of the Universe movie, when he finally gets hold of the cosmic key. All that tacky gold - looks closer to Egyptian or Greek divinity than Viking.

• Paid Members

I'm still holding out hope for Thor as I'm guessing these are either set photos or screencaps from the dailies. Hopefully with a load of effects and filters it'll look closer to 300 than Flash Gordon.Good to see Loki's helmet's been included, and I doubt they'd include his but not Thor's. I had a feeling they'd be used for ceremonial/battle scenes at least.

• Paid Members
If they can translate the epic look of those pictures to the movie then maybe there is a glimmer of hope for Thor. Still no winged helmet though which is like Judge Dredd walking around Mega City 1 without a helmet and we all know how well that went down.

That's pushing it a bit, Dredd never took his helmet off in the books at all. Thor has versions that don't wear helmets allot of the time, so its not the same as Dredd.

ultimate_thor.jpg

Thor without his helmet is more like Wolverine without his cowl.

Edited by Deaq

May as well mention that when I went to watch Ironman 2 and at the end when it showed the hammer I jumped out of my chair and screamed "WOOOOOO THOOOOOOR!" I then realised that all of the 20ish peeps that stayed as well as my family were all staring at me like I was some kind of loon.

Did anyone else get this reaction or am I infact an exceptionally geeky loon?