Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Dc should keep to making batman films like bond films, ignore actor changes and mix up stories / directors. Marvel have the genre sewn up in making films worth seeing with fun in amongst the serious

• Paid Members

I watched it on Friday and I'm very tempted to go see it again after the United/Leicester game. It's 2 and a half hours of some of the best action and definitely superheroness ever captured on screen. The big CGI battle scenes, a lot of the time, are my least favourite moments in the films, but Civil War has the best CGI fight scenes I've ever seen. What Marvel do so well with this is they realise it can go a bit toys hitting each other, so they'll throw a joke or five in there to appease arseholes like me, but even the more straight faced action battles feel like they have a lot of weight - I guess a mark of spending a few movies doing a great job building characters.

Yeah, they even managed to spend some time creating the best onscreen version of Spider-Man ever. Take my money.

Maybe Seth Grahame-Smith saw this and decided what's the point.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

If this idea about the solo Batman film is true it would be incredible,I can't think of anything I'd rather see in a superhero film than Batman against his whole rogue's gallery.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/42720/rogue-s-gallery-to-fill-affleck-s-batman

Sounds very "Knightfall" if true. Might be a bit much having Bane and a back-breaker in two films within such a short space of time though.

If this idea about the solo Batman film is true it would be incredible,I can't think of anything I'd rather see in a superhero film than Batman against his whole rogue's gallery.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/42720/rogue-s-gallery-to-fill-affleck-s-batman

Sounds very "Knightfall" if true. Might be a bit much having Bane and a back-breaker in two films within such a short space of time though.

Or Hush...

Edited by Marc Ambush Solo

• Paid Members

After seeing Civil War on Saturday (and really enjoying it) I decided to see again last night. I may be alone in thinking this, but I still think Marvel's best movie is still the first avengers movie.

Civil War has incredible actions sequences but I think with The Avengers the story seems to flow more quickly and there's never a dull moment. 

On second viewing Civil War seemed to drag a bit, something I've never said about the first Avengers flick.

The Airport action sequence mind still blew my mind second time around. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Moderators

Went to see Civil War last night. Really enjoyed it. Just fantastic all around. Spiderman was done brilliantly.. the way they introduced him I didn't think he would be mixing it up with the big boys straight off the bat but they really put him over huge and his dialogue was spot on; I really liked Andrew Garfield but I've gotta agree this is easily the best Spiderman of any films.

• Paid Members

Yep, without doubt the best Spider-man we've ever seen. Like you Chest I really liked Andrew Garfield but Tom Holland just seems perfect for the role. His snappy dialogue and delivery were perfect. 

• Paid Members

I've seen it twice and I loved it just as much second time around, if not more.
Deadpool is still my all time superhero flick to beat, but this is up there in the top five easily, and is my favourite MCU flick thus far with Guardians and Winter Soldier just trailing it.

One gripe...one minor gripe. Hawkeye. I loved Renner in S.W.A.T, 28 Weeks Later, The Town and The Hurt Locker as he had this effortless charisma just dripping off him, but when he dons the Hawkeye getup he's utterly shit. Shit!

EDIT - Oh, and fully agree with Sir Chest and Muttons there. Holland is a wonderful talent and was everything Spider-Man should be.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I've seen it twice and I loved it just as much second time around, if not more.

Deadpool is still my all time superhero flick to beat, but this is up there in the top five easily, and is my favourite MCU flick thus far with Guardians and Winter Soldier just trailing it.

One gripe...one minor gripe. Hawkeye. I loved Renner in S.W.A.T, 28 Weeks Later, The Town and The Hurt Locker as he had this effortless charisma just dripping off him, but when he dons the Hawkeye getup he's utterly shit. Shit!

EDIT - Oh, and fully agree with Sir Chest and Muttons there. Holland is a wonderful talent and was everything Spider-Man should be.

It's really fucking difficult trying to pick a top film from the MCU (or a super hero flick in general) as I honestly find my opinion changes so much. 

Before watching Civil War I rewatched the first Avengers flick for what's probably the 20th time and it's holds up so well in terms of rewatchability (is that even a word?). I think Civil War may struggle with that it in future after multiple viewings given how politically heavy it is at times. I may be wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

Winter Soldier holds up really well after multiple viewings yet bizarrely I've found Guardians not so much. I still hold it in my top 5 though. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Awards Moderator

After seeing Civil War on Saturday (and really enjoying it) I decided to see again last night. I may be alone in thinking this, but I still think Marvel's best movie is still the first avengers movie.

Civil War has incredible actions sequences but I think with The Avengers the story seems to flow more quickly and there's never a dull moment.

On second viewing Civil War seemed to drag a bit, something I've never said about the first Avengers flick.

The Airport action sequence mind still blew my mind second time around.

I saw Civil War for the first time last night, so can't say about repeat viewing, but I'm with you. First Avengers is still my favourite, but really enjoyed Civil War and the airport sequence also blew my mind. I was firmly Team Cap beforehand but switched partway through the film to Team Iron Man, which I was not expecting.

• Paid Members

One thing they did miss

They really should have had Blonsky / The Abomination in one of the RAFT cells. The Hulk film is the least linked in the universe and apart from a throwaway line about Him Ross' connection isn't really mentioned. It would give a little more of a nod towards why Ross has a massive elaborate sunken prison already built.