Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

That Supergirl trailer was fucking hideous.

Watched the new Avengers last night and it was alright but I massively preferred the first one.

The humor really got on my nerves by the end and it seemed like there was a forced "witty one liner" every two or three minutes. First film was probably the same if I watch it again but it really stood out for some reason this time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Jon Bernthal announced as Punisher for the Netflix series. 

Good choice in my view, though I just finished Daredevil today and the other Defenders series are going to have a job living up to it, great series. Vincent D'Onofrio was brilliant as Wilson Fisk.

• Paid Members

Be interesting to see how the change in show runners between series changes the quality of the different shows. It's a great announcement though and Daredevil has given me big hopes for the other series.

• Paid Members

Not into comics or anything, but why is it cool to hate on Superman?

It's not "cool to hate on" Superman - just that there are lots of people who just don't like the character. I used to be the same; took me ages to jump to DC from Marvel, one of the main reasons being I thought Superman made everything boring. He was too powerful, nothing could ever hurt him, so there was never any challenge to him.

Of course, I changed my mind after I read a lot more DC. Still not a fan of Superman, but that's more because I think there are many better-written characters than him in the DC universes. However, he does have some cracking stories, like Kingdom Come, Red Sun, Death Of Superman, to name a few. True Brit's also worth reading for a laugh, although I wouldn't call it a classic.

I don't think it's "cool" to hate Superman.  I'm not a massive fan myself.  As much as you always know the good guy is going to win, when the good guy is Bullet Proof, Super Strong, can fly, has X-Ray vision...can do pretty much anything, then it's not really much of a challenge.  I'm sure there are some good stories out there.  Personally, I've only read the Earth One stories, as it's based around a younger Clark coming to terms with what he can do and balancing it with his responsibilites.  But yeah, I'm just not that interested in the character if I'm honest.

Late to the party as ever, but I've finally started watching Arrow and from the nine episodes I've seen so far, I really like it

Welcome to the club.  I love it.  Best TV show going in my opinion.  Not an opinion everyone will agree with, but I woulod watch that over anything right now.

• Paid Members

Season 2 of Arrow was great, season 3 isn't really doing it for me and I hope it changes as much going into series 4 as it has done for every previous series. Also Daredevil made it look like a fucking soap.

Loads of people do hate Superman and think he's boring/too powerful, it's an old argument but it's pretty weak, they're usually people that read shit Image comics or only like things that are EDGY like Lobo, Wolverine and Deadpool. Or even worse, they're not even comic fans and have no idea what they're talking about. When written well Superman is a complex character to pull off and has as many limitations as he needs.

• Awards Moderator

Good choice in my view, though I just finished Daredevil today and the other Defenders series are going to have a job living up to it, great series. Vincent D'Onofrio was brilliant as Wilson Fisk.

Just finished it myself at the weekend. Vincent D'Onofrio is so compelling, just marvellous. I couldn't get over how sympathetic he was, framed within a fitting backstory yet unable to see how his methods are sociopathic. I hope he's on board for season 2, he'd leave a fissure in the show.

• Paid Members

I just think Superman is shite, bland and doesn’t interest me, Herbivore. I have done since I was a child.

I liked him when I was about 5 or 6, but then found 2000AD, Swamp Thing and Wolverine (who I've also taken a turn off as I got older).

It’s kind of like how I felt about Hulk Hogan when I was a wee boy and realised Mr.Perfect was better.

The Lex Luthor : Man of Steel run was tremendous though, but that was from Luthors POV.

Tremendous news about the Bernthal casting. Really enjoyed his turns in Mob City and Fury.

My ideal casting would have been Frank Grillo (despite his height) but he took the Crossbones gig.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

My dream casting for the Punisher was always Henry Rollins, obviously nothing more than fantasy. Never seen this Jon Bernthal dude in anything but he's got a good look for it, he's got quite an ugly banged up face which is great for the Punisher. I can't imagine how good season 2 of Daredevil is going to be if it's as good as the first with added well cast Punisher, hope fisk is in it again.

Especially in the world of avengers now, we expect more from superhero characters . Superman has very little charisma, and there's little indication given in the movies that he will really lose. Makes them really boring to watch for me