Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

Sure someone can confirm if it's still the case, but historically if you took on a free trial with Amazon Prime, you could cancel immediately and still enjoy the free trial period without having to worry about forgetting to cancel.

Edited by Ant

• Paid Members

Sure someone can confirm if it's still the case, but historically if you took on a free trial with Amazon Prime, you could cancel immediately and still enjoy the free trial period without having to worry about forgetting to cancel.

My missus cancelled it a week before the deadline and she got a note saying she could still use it until the end date.

I've just bought Bob Holly's book, two books by Dutch Mantell, and one by Terry Funk.

The reviews for Bob Holly's look good so I'm especially looking forward to that. Dutch is a great story teller and Funk's just likeable so hope they're also good.

Sorry lazyweb, can't read 36 pages to check if anyone's read them.... are these good buys? 

Edited by aaron

Just a statement of the obvious/warning, but take extra care to cancel in time if you're getting the free trial of Amazon Prime. If you get the trial of just Amazon Instant Video, you'll get the monthly £5.99 charge if you forget to cancel in time. If you get the trial of full blown Amazon Prime, including the free Kindle book, then if you don't cancel in time it'll be a flat £79 charge.

There is a get-out clause. I know this because of my idiot friend, who signed up for a free trial and forgot about it. I'm not sure how long later he realised, but it would've been a good month or so after they took the £79 that he noticed they'd taken the £79, and he got them to refund it because he hadn't used any part of the Prime membership since the trial ended. It was in their terms and conditions somewhere. A library rental would count as using it though, so if someone got a trial just for this book and took longer than the trial to read/delete/return it, they'd be screwed.

Edited by King Pitcos

Terry Funks book is well worth reading, I highly recommend it. He's had obviously a rich and varied carried that's spanned many decades, countries and promotions.

He gives great insights into the territories, Japan, ECW, WCW and WWE. His stories are funny, in depth and well taught which makes the book easy to read.

If you believe Terry however he'd have you believe that Amarillo territory and his father invented everything in wrestling. He talks about his cousin Billy Bob Thornton but if I remember right he tells to different explanations to how he is related to him which is confusing.

On a side note I read yesterday that Bob Backlunds book has had its release day pushed back to October, I'm looking forward to reading his book and can't wait to get it. There's been no good autobiographies released lately.

Edited by C-Rock

Taking a chance with the Kamala book, its $45 just for the book and shipping, although it seems expensive it might never get released after Kickstarter. If they reach $19,500 they will add an extra 100 pages which always seems odd when projects do stuff like that, and thats if the book even see's the light of day unlike other wrestling projects on Kickstarter.

As for the Amazon Prime. The free trial is supposed to be a one time deal but somehow Ive managed to use and cancel it twice, a couple of years between the two trials mind. Its almost worthless for the delivery aspect now as Amazon have their own delivery service and are pretty efficient.

• Paid Members

I've had a free trial of prime every year since it started, always cancelled immediately, and always got the full month. So easy to cancel too, no ringing up to discuss why, just the click of a button, asked if your sure, and it's done. I used the US version too both times I've been over there, just as easy.

The service itself is fantastic. Ordered a new phone at 4.00pm on Saturday, knock on the door Sunday morning and it was there. If I has silly money knocking about I'd be a member all the time.

There's a 30 Years of WrestleMania book out tomorrow, the look/style of it seems along the lines of the encyclopedia. It has pictures of the posters and tickets and stuff like that in it, and it made me think of the WWE book I'd love to see. You know in The Works they've always got those big boxsets with a book and loads of pullout memorabilia, CDs etc? Usually for soaps and bands. It'd be great if WWE did something like that. Stuff like the encyclopedia, the WWE 50 book or this new WrestleMania one would go so well in a set like that.

• Paid Members

I think a big compendium looking at WWE's merchandise and memorabilia over the years would be fun to flick through. From action figures to t-shirts and every weird and wonderful thing in between with features on iconic or obscure lines of merch and some stories about their development, sales, rarities and prototypes etc. Maybe they would struggle to keep it interesting if it was trying to be comprehensive, given the shear amount of shite pumped out over the years, but I think nostalgia nonces would definitely get a kick out of seeing the things they remembered having or wanting as kids.

That Wrestlemania book looks great. Taken from the WWE website:

• The history of each WrestleMania, from both sides of the curtain
  • Special tributes to Undertaker's Streak, Mr. WrestleMania, records, stats & more
  • Stories from influential figures, including Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart & others
  • Behind the scenes photos and anecdotes
  • Artifacts such as tickets, VIP passes, programs, promotional items and other unique surprises
  • Coverage of all the definitive Superstars and celebrities
  • Foreward by "Mr. WrestleMania" Shawn Michaels
  • Exclusive Topps collectible trading card featuring the Undertaker
  • One of five exclusive collectible bookmarks
Edited by Undefeated Steak