Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members
Pat Patterson is writing a book.

-Jim Ross on Pat Patterson: "I'm told Pat Patterson is writing his memoirs and after seeing much of Pat's photo collection from over his career I'm betting the book will be great. Pat has a tremendous sense of humor and was one of the best in ring performers ever along with being a tremendous wrestling strategist. Pat's journey as a gay man in a largely homophobic, alpha Caucasian male, good old boys network known as pro wrestling in the territory days is one of courage and conviction. I can't wait to read it. I learned a great deal about the wrestling biz and life from Pat."

That should be amazing.

Very interested in that, his life in wrestling is way to big to cram into one book.

• Paid Members
Pat Patterson is writing a book.

-Jim Ross on Pat Patterson: "I'm told Pat Patterson is writing his memoirs and after seeing much of Pat's photo collection from over his career I'm betting the book will be great. Pat has a tremendous sense of humor and was one of the best in ring performers ever along with being a tremendous wrestling strategist. Pat's journey as a gay man in a largely homophobic, alpha Caucasian male, good old boys network known as pro wrestling in the territory days is one of courage and conviction. I can't wait to read it. I learned a great deal about the wrestling biz and life from Pat."

That should be amazing.

Seconded - would defo buy this !

• Moderators
Foley Is Good is where the cracks in his personality start to show. He's so much more conscious of his own character as a writer in it that the whole thing reads as an endless balancing act between "here is some issues I, Mick Foley, have" and "but I'm still a nice guy. So this time me and Scotty II Hotty were in Burger King ..."

Oh and that fucking essay at the end!

I read Terry Funk's book a few weeks back and really enjoyed it.

A review on the previous page of this topic correctly stated that he barely has a bad word to say about anyone, so there are no controversial burials of anyone.

I do like reading stuff like that, but I found Terry not burying anyone added to his charm.

There were a few hints at people he didn't like very much, but it seemed like rather than go into what his problems with them were he chose to keep his book positive and keep praising those workers who he did/does get on with.

Jack Brisco is probably the person who receives most critisism, mostly due to him complaining when both he & Terry were given their NWA title reigns.

Thanks for backing up my review on Terry Funks book lol

I'm really looking forward to Pat Patterson releasing his book, he's a guy who I'm sure has many interesting stories to tell from his extensive career. I'm very interested in finding out about how Patterson maintained his career being gay and I presume 'out' for most of it, especially during the 70's and 80's. It will give an interesting take similar to I can imagine to the autobiography of Chris Kanyon which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

On a slight side note, was Lord Alfred Hayes gay? I always thought it was common knowledge but I read recently in one of JR's blogs that 'he loved the ladies' I know Hayes had a habit of ribbing younger guys in the locker room by sliding his hand down their pants to make them feel uncomfortable in front of the other wrestlers in the locker room but of course that doesn't make him gay, I'm just sure I heard or read some where that he was.

Edited by C-Rock

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Paul O'Brien's just sold the TV rights to his Blood Red Turns Dollar Green wrestling novels. Early stages of course, but apparently the producer who bought it already has two writers adapting it into a screenplay for a pilot.

If you're not familiar with them, think the Sopranos but set among fictionalised versions of the promoters in the 70s territorial era.

It's great news as I loved the books and my review of the first one concluded "It would likely appeal even to non-fans and could potentially make for a fantastic HBO-style mini-series."

• 1 month later...