F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've been to two already this year and am going to Spa next week. I'm so excited. I've only ever been to one race in a season before but this year I'll have been to three. My friend said I've been to more races this year than Anthony Hamilton! :D

You should definitely go to a race. Turkey is so cheap. I got a 3-day ticket in a grandstand looking down the pit straight (where Vettel hit Webber on the last corner) for

• Paid Members

I really like Istanbul actually. I think there are lots of opportunities for over-taking and there are enough straights and turns to make it interesting. I don't think there's anything wrong with Sepang and Shanghai either but I agree that he has murdered a lot of great circuits with his fannying around with "safety" issues and suchlike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Well, the Qualifying was originally shaping up to be more exciting, but it still ended up with Glock and Kovaleinen in Q2. A little sad that Kamui crashed, but I'm pleased Alonso ended up 10th, and Kubica ended up on the second row.

It should be a good race, especially if it rains.

I'm really hoping it does rain tomorrow. From looking at Autosport and some people on Twitter, a lot of drivers are expecting rain to play a role in the race at some point.

Looking at the grid for tomorrow with all of the penalties that have been given to various drivers in place, Lotus are big winners here. They're now starting 13th and 15th. If we get some wet weather and a bit of chaos early on, I can see one of those two picking up a point. It'd be great to see! The two Hispania cars are 18th and 19th as well, so they're some fantastic results for the new teams.

Has anyone else heard about the GP3 race this afternoon? The heavens opened and they had a storm during the race with only two full racing laps being done throughout the entire race after a big crash at the start before the rain. Then the winner stayed out on slicks and managed to keep the field at such a slow pace that the time limit on the race expired before they could go racing. Sounds absolutely crazy GP3 report

• Paid Members

Just got back from Spa - what an amazing weekend! I spent most of Friday in the Virgin Racing garage watching them working on Timo and Lucas' cars and trying out different set-ups. I got to listen to the team radio and saw all the computers monitoring the cars. I met Luiz Razia (test driver) and Graeme Lowden (CEO of VR) and got some free merchandise. Then I had a tour of the motorhome where the BBC Forum came from on Sunday. It was fantastic. Great race too, the rain really made it interesting. Some photos from the weekend:

The view from the pitlane:

Virgin1.jpg

Timo getting ready to get out of the car:

Virgin2.jpg

Timo going up the back of the garage to take his helmet off:

Virgin3.jpg

Timo & Lucas talk to Nick Wirth and one of the head engineers about the set-up:

Virgin4.jpg

The pit wall crew:

Virgin5.jpg

Lucas di Grassi going up Eau Rouge:

Virgin6.jpg

• Paid Members

I took lots more photos and will be putting them on Flikr tomorrow when my mate uploads hers and I can pick out the best. I'll post a link when I've done it. I still can't believe I was actually in the garage. When we got into the paddock the first person we saw was Felipe Massa coming out of the Ferrari motorhome. I also saw Ted Kravitz wandering around too but because it was pissing down with rain there weren't many other people milling around that area.

I am an incredibly jealous man. I'm hoping to get to my first Grand Prix next year which will almost certainly be Silverstone, and then I'll be checking out the German GP in a few years when I'm over there and hopefully get to Spa as well.

Oh, the things I'd do to be able to get up close and spend time with an F1 team...

• Paid Members

I fucking hate Monkee. I've decided. Bitch!!

I Sky+ the race and then stupidly went on ESPN's site (to check a listing) and saw the result. What a bastard. Well done to Lewis though. Hope McLaren can keep it up because everytime there is a glimmer of light, the car seems to regress.

Oh, and next season, they seriously need to do something to stop the massive discrepancy between qualifying and race pace.

Vettel's starting to acquire a reputation as a dangerous driver, this isn't the first time he's smashed into someone and taken them out of a race, under normal racing conditions. Button must be absolutely furious. He's just having no luck this season.

Another great race though, this is the best F1 season I can ever remember.

• Paid Members

I'd love to see Kubica in a McLaren, Ferrari or Red Bull next year. The man is quality (even if he cost himself 2nd by bodging a pit stop).

Full credit to Lewis Hamilton - a mature drive, controlled the race and fully deserved his victory.

I agree with Loki - this season is fantastic. I didn't like the new points system at first, but it does add to the excitement and I accept I was wrong.

I also agree with Rick - Monkee, my jealousy has turned to anger. Bitch :p

Archived