F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

Another great race, Button did tremendously well and honestly seemed to get more out of the car than Lewis. Red Bulls deserved their victory, and this all sets up a cracking final race. My prediction is that Vettel will sideswipe Alonso to hand the title to Webber and then throw up nWo signs at the podium - it was all a swerve!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Thanks for that. Remember though, that they'll be using the new pit straight near Abbey next year! The current/old pit straight by Copse won't be the start/end of the race any more, so that rather eliminates the idea of seeing the start/finish. I was probably going to opt for Stowe because it's a cracking corner and I've always heard that you can see a decent amount of the track from there. Thanks for that!

Totally forgot about the new layout for next year (I'm absolutely knackered today and so not with it). I still think a corner/chicane is the best place to view a race because you see more of the cars. On a straight you don't really see much action unless it's a popular overtaking spot but there are obviously no guarantees. Stowe is a great corner though and a lot of the drivers said in interviews this year that they love that part of the circuit. I'm 90% going next year and will probably sit there again.

Some questions:

1. How on earth did you manage to pull that one off?? Are factory tours a regular thing they do, or is this because you've built some sort of friendship with people in the team (of which I am INCREDIBLY jealous and would sell everything I value in life to be in a similar position)

2. Why has no one told me the Virgin Racing factory was so close?

Most teams do factory tours if you have a look at their websites or contact them. A friend of mine did a tour of McLaren recently but (typically) they were very strict (you weren't allowed to wear jeans) and you had to pay (it was about

I got a feeling Hamilton will win the race this Sunday (he was Pole last year if I remember correctly) and thus Alonso will end up somewhere between 2nd/5th landing him the title, failing that then I fancy a Vettel win (who actually won the race last year) and depending where Alonso ends up will determine whether he lets Webber past or stays put, the inclusion of the McClarens with very little to play for definitely makes things interesting, I would mention Massa as well but if anything he is more of a hindrance than a help for Ferrari this season.

So I'll stick my neck out and say that I fancy a McClaren win in the race, Red Bulls to still finish higher than Ferrari but because of the points difference Alonso to still win the title. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that. Remember though, that they'll be using the new pit straight near Abbey next year! The current/old pit straight by Copse won't be the start/end of the race any more, so that rather eliminates the idea of seeing the start/finish. I was probably going to opt for Stowe because it's a cracking corner and I've always heard that you can see a decent amount of the track from there. Thanks for that!

Totally forgot about the new layout for next year (I'm absolutely knackered today and so not with it). I still think a corner/chicane is the best place to view a race because you see more of the cars. On a straight you don't really see much action unless it's a popular overtaking spot but there are obviously no guarantees. Stowe is a great corner though and a lot of the drivers said in interviews this year that they love that part of the circuit. I'm 90% going next year and will probably sit there again.

Some questions:

1. How on earth did you manage to pull that one off?? Are factory tours a regular thing they do, or is this because you've built some sort of friendship with people in the team (of which I am INCREDIBLY jealous and would sell everything I value in life to be in a similar position)

2. Why has no one told me the Virgin Racing factory was so close?

Most teams do factory tours if you have a look at their websites or contact them. A friend of mine did a tour of McLaren recently but (typically) they were very strict (you weren't allowed to wear jeans) and you had to pay (it was about

• Paid Members
Another great race, Button did tremendously well and honestly seemed to get more out of the car than Lewis. Red Bulls deserved their victory, and this all sets up a cracking final race.

Didn't think it was a great race at all. It was a job very well done but much of it was a procession at the front. no amount of argy bargy in the back field makes up for that, not for me. I'm dreading next season because now red Bull have added reliability to their pace, they should piss it. There need to be some major developments at McLaren and Ferrari.

Awesome to see a Williams on pole. It was like the good old times. Pity it lasted 100 yards off the line!

• Paid Members
Haha, that's some epic stuff. Like I say, I'd give anything to get that close to an F1 team with paddock passes, getting to know members of the team...I imagine I'd probably die of excitement and awe though. Inside, I'm still a 5 year old watching my first full season of F1 in '96 being amazed at the speed, glamour and amazingness of the sport and thinking "Wow, I'd love to do that one day." Sadly, I fear there isn't much scope for someone to get a job in F1 with a German degree unless I beg Mercedes!

I'm currently in Leeds for Uni, so I'll definitely try and see if I can get to the VR factory at some point in the year. I think that'd be absolutely amazing to go around the factory and see how the other side of F1 really works. Something I'll certainly be looking into.

I did a gig in Brackley in August so I went past the Mercedes factory on the way home, but it was during the two weeks of shutdown so the place was empty. Just stopping there for a few minutes and looking at the factory from the outside was an awesome feeling...

I've been a fan for 12 years now and this has just been the best season ever. I can't believe how lucky I've been with Virgin. It's always been one of my dreams to get into the paddock and see everything 'behind the scenes' and Spa was the best place to do it. I got to watch the team putting the car together during practice, trying out different strategies, listening to the team radio (making jokes about sending Timo out to get the lattes while it was raining) and just wandering around the paddock. I hope I get to do it again some day. Having done that I have so much more respect for the entire team. Everyone just works their arse off to get that car going and it's obvious they love what they do. I'm now completely focused on getting into somehow myself (not as a mechanic or engineer though) and just have my fingers crossed for a few things.

Ah yes, forgot about Mercedes being up that way too. I did exactly the same as you though when I went to Maranello in 2008. The Ferrari factory wasn't empty but my mate and I parked outside with all the employees and just took lots of photos. You could see the wind tunnel surrounding the factory and everything. That was absolutely brilliant :)

In some off topic news I found out yesterday that Ted Kravitz (who does the pitlane reports/updates) goes into my hairdressers (has been the last 5 years) and usually sorts out vip tickets for Silverstone for my hairdresser so might be able to get tickets next year with a bit of luck. :thumbsup:

It's a brave person who puts a bet on the outcome of the result of the race and championship...I really don't know how this one will go. I really want to see a Red Bull driver win the title, which will most likely be Webber, but he's probably going to have to pull out one of the best drives of his career to get to the front and win the title. Vettel needs a bit of luck to win the title, but he's in the best position to win the race I reckon. Alonso can sit relatively pretty, play a safe race and leave as champion while Hamilton needs a lot of help...but stranger things have happened in this world!

Then there's the possibility of mechanical problems hitting drivers and taking them out of the race. Abu Dhabi has got the scenario it wanted, I just hope we get a race to match the hype and excitement!

All three teams are racing with the same engine used in two previous races so any of them could go at anytime, although you would think Ferrari is the best equipped and more reliable in this scenario.

The track is hard to pass on so the key will be the start of the race, personally I see Hamilton winning the race and I think Massa (6th) could well be the joker in the pack if he can get ahead of Webber (5th).

Will be an interesting one but can't see past Alonso really, also depending on how Massa starts the race if he's near the leading pack then they could have him stay out longer as a spoiler.

Button is another who could be an interesting factor.

Can't see beyond Alonso and to be fair to him the Ferrari has hardly been great this year but he's done the best he could with it and has been consistent.

Can't see Webber doing anything though from 5th but stranger things have happened.

Sometimes don't give BBC enough credit for there coverage, just flows so well and I am hooked for every minute

Yeah, I'm halfway through a bottle of Blue Nun and jumping around with excitement. When they dug up Stirling Moss and Murray Walker I nearly lost it.

EDIT: let the conspiracy theories begin. Did Red Bull sacrifice Webber to distract Alonso and get him to pit too early? From Webber's post-race interview he certainly alluded to that possibility.

Fully deserved world title for Vettel. Been the fastest driver this season and seems like a really nice guy to boot. Hamilton is moaning as usual, hinting Kubica may have purposely held him up to help his "step-sister" team. Great driver but such a twat.

Scary incident for Schumacher, inches away from the first driver death for nearly 20 years.

• Paid Members

I loved today's result and was so pleased for Vettel. I think it would've been a really boring race if it wasn't the last of the season though. I would have preferred to have seen Webber win because I think this was probably his last opportunity but I'm still pleased that Vettel got it. I'm really glad Hamilton didn't get it and, after his reaction to Petrov on the final in-lap, I'm definitely glad Alonso didn't get it. What an arse! I like him and so I'm very disappointed in his reactions.

I can't believe the season's over though. It seems so long away before testing starts in January and then the new season in March. I'll be booking my tickets for Turkey soon though and then Silverstone probably early next year.

Oh, and I've been invited to the end-of-season Virgin Racing team party in 2 weeks. Cannot wait!

Archived