F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

Come on...who else stayed up, or woke up early this morning for Qualifying? After going out to do a gig last night and not getting in until about half three, I thought I'd catch the latter stages of FP3 and then watch Qualifying. FP3 was a bit of a write-off, but at least we got to see Toro Rosso on top of the time sheets. :p

They definitely made the right decision to postpone Qualifying I think, I think there could, and probably would, have been a serious accident. I'm not overly keen on waking up at 2am to catch Qualifying and then a couple of hours later to see the race, but I'm prepared to get an early night...which is probably just as well on just a few hours of sleep.

Hamilton's had to take a grid penalty for changing the gearbox, but I imagine this will probably give us a good few laps to see him trying to overtake. Thinking about it, it'll be really interesting to see whether he does change his mental approach to overtaking after two incidents in the last two races. He says he won't change a thing, but I just think when he needs to make a move, he'll be a bit more cautious and make sure there's plenty of space.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another good race, although the dominance of Red Bull made the result pretty much a formality. AND they were holding back for a lot of the race too. They really are streets ahead at the moment.

What the fuck happened to Button's strategy? He seemed perfectly placed once the first round of pitstops started, but then completely failed to bang in any decent lap times at the crucial moment.

Kobayashi continues to impress me - he got some serious speed out of that frankly average car, and he's utterly fearless in the overtake. He needs taming, but he'd make a good 2nd driver for one of the larger teams I reckon.

Another good race, although the dominance of Red Bull made the result pretty much a formality. AND they were holding back for a lot of the race too. They really are streets ahead at the moment.

What the fuck happened to Button's strategy? He seemed perfectly placed once the first round of pitstops started, but then completely failed to bang in any decent lap times at the crucial moment.

Kobayashi continues to impress me - he got some serious speed out of that frankly average car, and he's utterly fearless in the overtake. He needs taming, but he'd make a good 2nd driver for one of the larger teams I reckon.

Kobayashi has been a joy to watch all season tbh.. proper insane driver.. refine him and could go further than 2nd driver.. Thats two shit cars he has got speed out off

Red bull we just sickeningly good. Iam liking the new order of F1 what with teams that were formerly shit now able to mix it with the big boys, but something will have to give some where

I think the McClaren is a clunker.. I dont think that either of them can do anything about the title this year and would be best scoring as many points as they can in the hope that the others fuck up

twas a good race considering

Have to say that Massa once again had a piss poor weekend, with his car he should of easily been much higher up the grid in Qualifiying but for whatever reason can't produce the goods, infact Ferrari should just fuck him off as he is no good at all.

Decent race with Alonso also holding back the entire race (what with using a used engine) so was never fully on it during the weekend, not from start to finish anyways.

Red Bull should win the title now from here but will know more for sure in the next race.

Japan always shows who the best drivers are (men from the boys) and the top 6 at the end of the race are probably the best 6 drivers overall (not in that order of course).

I'd agree with you for the most part, but you've forgotten about Robert Kubica. In a Renault that hasn't really been amazingly quick all season and mainly fighting with the Mercedes, he stuck it on the front row in Monaco, was third at Spa and was fourth this weekend at Suzuka. All three of those tracks are tracks where the driver can make a huge difference and outperform their car.

There's a cracking article on the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9080455.stm) that argues the case, and I have to agree with most of it. He was really unlucky with what happened on Sunday, in what seems a really bizarre incident, and I think it would have been fascinating to watch the battle between himself and Webber evolve over the race.

• 4 weeks later...

Nico Hulkenberg on pole position for the Brazilian GP?! Absolutely insane stuff, but absolutely brilliant. I suspect this will be the key in him keeping his drive for next season. On an ever-changing track, he was on the slicks at the right time, albeit with some help from Rubens and the engineers, but to be over a second quicker than the Red Bull drivers? That's amazing stuff, and apparently that's his dry set-up for the race. I can't see him winning without some luck/misfortune from the other guys, but stranger things have definitely happened.

Also, I'm after a bit of advice. I'm going to Silverstone next year for my first race and with the money I've got, there are two options for where I can sit in terms of grandstand seat on the Sunday: on the National Straight through Copse and looking on through the Maggots/Becketts complex, or at Stowe. Which do I go for? I like the idea of it being open policy Friday/Saturday so I'll probably check as many different vantage points to find some good places to watch, but I don't know whether I go for the old pit straight or Stowe...

Thats a shocker about Button, hopefully the FIA wont kick off about this and cancel the Brazilian GP for next year?

That Qualifying session was brilliant, Hamilton taking the lead then Hulkenburg, the two red bulls try and show off and couldnt get near Hulkenburgs time. Then just to rub salt in the wounds Hulkenburg puts in one extra lap putting a gap of just over 1 second between himself and second.

Well done Hulkenburg. Also wtf is button playing at 11th place? Is this prove that Buttons last year win was CLEARLY due to tha Brawn car, now hes in a average F1 car hes struggling while Hamilton is working his arse off.

Im pulling for Hamilton tomorrow he needs to win both races. Good luck to him.

I just read that about Button as well, crazy stuff. That could have potentially been far worse, but it sounds like some brilliant thinking from his driver to just get away pretty quickly. I'm sure I've read about attacks in previous years to other members of staff, but never a driver and never antng to this extent. Sao Paulo police are going to give some extra help tomorrow to get drivers and staff to the track.

Crazy stuff...

I don't think it's fair to say that Button's title win was purely down to the Brawn. He's had a good season, and he's the only driver still in the hunt for the title (just) who hasn't retired as a result of making a mistake and crashing out. He had Vettel collide with him in Spa and an engine blow up in Monaco. Alonso stuck it into the wall at Spa, Vettel's crashed a few times, Hamilton took risks in Italy and Singapore and they didn't pay off. He won two very good races early on in the season, but he's struggled a bit since then and hasn't consistently gotten the results that he deserved. Korea was a HUGE off-day for him. Hamilton is able to wring an extra tenth or two from the Mclaren, but Button has shown that he certainly won't be a pushover while he's at McLaren, which was the fear of a lot of people at the start of the season. I expect he'll be challenging for the title again next season.

Also wtf is button playing at 11th place? Is this prove that Buttons last year win was CLEARLY due to tha Brawn car, now hes in a average F1 car hes struggling while Hamilton is working his arse off.

Remember he had that Brawn/Honda for nearly 18 months as development for that car started really early during the season before when they gave up on the Earthcar. So for him to be competative in a new team and 'new' car is good. Yes he has been out performed by Hamilton, but Hamilton has been at the team since he was about 2 and things will be geared around him somewhat

Yes Button has had off days, but considering both drivers have said that this years Mclaren is a dog, he has done pretty well, and certainly hasnt disgraced himself with regards to defending his title. Being slightly off the pace, Ie he could mathematically win if everyone else doesnt win, with a 'rubbish' car isnt half bad he is only 21 points behind his team mate, which isnt exactly massive and its good to see both as much as i despise Hamilton being at least mixing it up

I'm in Australia. But the coverage isn't on free TV. The Aussie coverage is rubbish, the guys doing the buildup (which lasts only like 20mins) don't really know what they're on about, so they've got James Allen doing some stuff for them in the pits, and always go to Brundle and Legard for the commentary.

Note: I saw the last race cause the hostel I was in had the channel, but I'm not in a decent one anymore.

• Paid Members
I'm going to Silverstone next year for my first race and with the money I've got, there are two options for where I can sit in terms of grandstand seat on the Sunday: on the National Straight through Copse and looking on through the Maggots/Becketts complex, or at Stowe. Which do I go for? I like the idea of it being open policy Friday/Saturday so I'll probably check as many different vantage points to find some good places to watch, but I don't know whether I go for the old pit straight or Stowe...

If it's your first race then the pit straight can be awesome to be able to see all the cars lined up before the race and potentially see the drivers on the podium at the end. But it can be fairly boring during the race if you're on a straight unless it's a bit over-taking section. I'd go for Stowe. I sat there this year and you see the cars coming down through Hangar and the they'll slow a bit for Stowe and then down towards Vale. I thought it was a really good position.

I watched the race yesterday from the Virgin Racing factory near Sheffield. Oh my god, it was geek heaven. We had a tour of the entire factory, saw some of the bits off Lucas' car after his Japan meltdown and from Timo's car after Buemi T-boned him in Korea. We were basically allowed to touch and feel everthing so I tried to make off with a nose cone when no-one was looking but got caught in the act. We saw the trucks used for the European races and all the spare odds and sods laying around the factory floor. We also saw the "labs" where they put the engines together and the gear box casings and everything. After that we went to one of the board rooms overlooking the engineering bays where there were two massive screens where we watched the race. It was an absolutely brilliant day and I'm still on a high.

Thanks for that. Remember though, that they'll be using the new pit straight near Abbey next year! The current/old pit straight by Copse won't be the start/end of the race any more, so that rather eliminates the idea of seeing the start/finish. I was probably going to opt for Stowe because it's a cracking corner and I've always heard that you can see a decent amount of the track from there. Thanks for that!

Some questions:

1. How on earth did you manage to pull that one off?? Are factory tours a regular thing they do, or is this because you've built some sort of friendship with people in the team (of which I am INCREDIBLY jealous and would sell everything I value in life to be in a similar position)

2. Why has no one told me the Virgin Racing factory was so close?

Archived