F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

Grudging respect to Alonso for a practically faultless drive.

For me, whoever went for their pitstop first was bound to lose, surely? Your out-lap is always going to be slower than their in-lap, so the time you lose on your in-lap is enough to get them in front of you in the stop, then they are in front for their out-lap and so hold you up.

I personally reckon Button should have tried stopping a lot earlier, got the harder tyres up to temperature and tried to get back up close on Alonso and Massa before they pitted.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, whoever went for their pitstop first was bound to lose, surely? Your out-lap is always going to be slower than their in-lap, so the time you lose on your in-lap is enough to get them in front of you in the stop, then they are in front for their out-lap and so hold you up.

I personally reckon Button should have tried stopping a lot earlier, got the harder tyres up to temperature and tried to get back up close on Alonso and Massa before they pitted.

I can't help but think if Button had pitted earlier, Ferrari would have just covered their bases and brought Alonso in on the next lap. That was the luxury that Alonso had yesterday that he knew all he had to do was run one lap longer and get a clean pitstop and he'd come out ahead. You're right though, whoever blinked and pitted first was almost certain to lose the race.

• Paid Members

Great race yesterday especially the first lap. Haha. The lovely Timo Glock did very well and was top of the new teams. And I had personal live updates and photos texted to me from inside the Lotus garage too so that was great.

It's a bit disappointing that we're getting so near to the end of the season though. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new teams handle Singapore. Could be interesting :)

I can't help but think if Button had pitted earlier, Ferrari would have just covered their bases and brought Alonso in on the next lap. That was the luxury that Alonso had yesterday that he knew all he had to do was run one lap longer and get a clean pitstop and he'd come out ahead. You're right though, whoever blinked and pitted first was almost certain to lose the race.

I guess if Hamilton had been out there it would all have been different. He could have held the Ferraris up, just long enough to get Button back out.

• Paid Members

So the rumour mill has started...

Kobayashi and Heidfeld for Sauber. Raikkonen to Renault (Petrov out?). Senna/di Grassi to be replaced.

Just been announced that Heidfeld is replacing de la Rosa (the Barcelona Bollock) at Sauber for the rest of the season.

• Paid Members
So the rumour mill has started...

Kobayashi and Heidfeld for Sauber. Raikkonen to Renault (Petrov out?). Senna/di Grassi to be replaced.

Just been announced that Heidfeld is replacing de la Rosa (the Barcelona Bollock) at Sauber for the rest of the season.

Heidfeld is an excellent driver, and I don't understand why DLR was there in the first place.

Cannot wait to see Raikkonen back in F1, and if he's with Kubica, that's two of my favourite drivers in one team. Shame it's Renault, but Flavio no longer has his greasy mitts on it, so it's all good.

• Paid Members

I really don't understand why Raikkonen's bothering to come back to be honest. He was my favourite driver for years but the last couple of seasons he just wasn't really arsed about it. It was as if he was pissed for the first 3/4 of the race and by the time he sobered up and actually started racing then it was too late to get anywhere.

• Paid Members
I really don't understand why Raikkonen's bothering to come back to be honest. He was my favourite driver for years but the last couple of seasons he just wasn't really arsed about it. It was as if he was pissed for the first 3/4 of the race and by the time he sobered up and actually started racing then it was too late to get anywhere.

Money, I presume. Didn't he get like

• 3 weeks later...

Archived