F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

So HRT are arsing about with their driver line-up again. Narain Karthikeyan is back for this year but now it's been announced that Bruno Senna is out! It's like musical chairs at that team.

On another note, has anyone read the Senna article in this month's F1 Racing? I thought it was one of the best articles I've read in a long time. By the end of it I was actually choked up. And I've had to read it a second time.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disgustingly, I've had F1 Racing sat in my room for ages. I had a quick flick through it when I got it because I was doing so much else and just didn't get round to reading it properly because I wanted to give some proper time and dedication to the article. I'm off to uni for a few days to do an exam and whatnot, then I'll be back with nothing to do so I plan to read the article properly.

So Narain gets the seat, and by coincidence he brings with him money and sponsorship aplenty. As long as Yamamoto doesn't get a seat there, I don't mind. Chandhok deserves a seat somewhere, though I imagine the best he can hope for is a place as reserve driver somewhere and maybe get a bit of Friday running. If not, I hope he sticks around for commentary work on Five Live. He really added something to the sessions. From what I've read, it seems Kolles is holding off on a second driver and reckons he's got a chance of getting Liuzzi when he gets bumped from Force India for Paul di Resta.

• Paid Members

BBC will have Brundle and Coulthard on commentary next season. I'm not sure if it'll work out or not but I'm glad they are making a change because I felt the coverage on 5 Live last year during the races had much more enthusiasm and insight than the TV commentary.

Also, here's a simple overview of the current driver situation (-- Stayed, << Out, >> In)

Red Bull

-- Sebastian Vettel

-- Mark Webber

McLaren

-- Lewis Hamilton

-- Jenson Button

Ferrari

-- Fernando Alonso

-- Felipe Massa

Mercedes

-- Nico Rosberg

-- Michael Schumacher

Renault

-- Robert Kubica

-- Vitaly Petrov

Williams

-- Rubens Barrichello

>> Pastor Maldonado

<< Nico Hulkenberg

Force India

>> ??

>> ??

<< Adrian Sutil

<< Antonio Liuzzi

Sauber

-- Kamui Kobayashi

>> Sergio Perez

<< Nick Heidfeld

Toro Rosso

>> ??

>> ??

<< Sebastien Buemi

<< Jaime Alguersuari

Lotus

-- Jarno Trulli

-- Heikki Kovalainen

Hispania Racing Team

>> Narain Karthikeyan

>> ??

<< Karun Chandhok

<< Bruno Senna

<< Christian Klien

Virgin Racing

-- Timo Glock

>> Jerome d'Ambrosio

<< Lucas di Grassi

BBC will have Brundle and Coulthard on commentary next season. I'm not sure if it'll work out or not but I'm glad they are making a change because I felt the coverage on 5 Live last year during the races had much more enthusiasm and insight than the TV commentary.

Hmm, could be interesting, Legard was not very good to the point I was wishing for James Allen back at some points :omg: . He was just too stoic and formal for Brundle to bounce off and things often fell flat. Shame

Let's hope David Coulthard doesnt bore the pants off people either.

To be honest I expected it but would have loved it if Murray had come back just for the European GP's. Not totally sure as to what to think about this combination, granted Brundle is passionate about the races in general but IMO Coulthard has a very monotonic voice and could prove to be a bit of a bore.

Eddie Jordan as a second hand? Now that would have been VERY interesting!!!

It's pretty unusual for all the top teams to have unchanged drivers, isn't it? I'd have put money on Massa being replaced at the very least.

• Paid Members
It's pretty unusual for all the top teams to have unchanged drivers, isn't it? I'd have put money on Massa being replaced at the very least.

I'm very surprised that he's in a job. Having said that, has anyone suitable been available? A guy like Rosberg for instance would surely have put Massa out.

Anyone know what Heidfeld's next move is? I've always liked him, I think he's a better driver than half the guys already in seats.

• Paid Members

I'm so glad they got rid of Legard, he annoyed me so much. I disliked James Allen when he was at ITV but I didn't realise how much I'd miss him when Legard came in. I love Martin Brundle though so as long as he's still there I really don't mind. I wish I could go to Daytona and see him doing the 24 hour race at the end of the month with Mark Blundell. I've actually had a conversation today on Twitter with Blundell as he asked me what a DILF was!! :blush:

Also, is anyone going to the Autosport show in Birmingham this weekend? I have my Ninja Stalker hat on! :ninja:

• Paid Members

The Autosport International show was brilliant. There was so much F1-related stuff there as well as drivers. And, guess what? My ninja stalking skills paid off and not only did I meet and have a chat with Martin Brundle but I also had my photo taken with him! Absolutely made my weekend :D

The Autosport International show was brilliant. There was so much F1-related stuff there as well as drivers. And, guess what? My ninja stalking skills paid off and not only did I meet and have a chat with Martin Brundle but I also had my photo taken with him! Absolutely made my weekend :D

Really? I didn't think it was very good at all. I thought about going on Thursday, but never bothered applying for press access as I had an exam, but my dad text me on Friday morning to say he could sneak me in for free anyway (he works at the NEC) so I went in the afternoon at the last minute. I was done in a couple of hours really, it seemed a lot smaller than the previous times I've been-which I think were '06 and '08 where I spent most of the day walking about, and there were loads of manufacturers then. Admiteddly I was younger then so it probably seemed bigger and more exciting.

I liked the McLaren display, and some of the interviews on the stage were pretty good but it was fairly disappointing. All in all though, I preferred the Motorcycle Live show a couple of months back to be honest, I think that benefitted from having loads of big name riders there each day. Maybe if I'd have gone Autosport on thursday, there would have been some drivers about, but I only really came across Horner, Whitmarsh and Matt Neal.

Did Brundle say anything interesting about Legard or Coulthard, and what other drivers were about when you went?

• Paid Members

Well, I met up with some friends and other people I know so it was a social event as well as going to see the stands and stuff. I really liked the McLaren display and loved seeing the old cars too (the 60s Masarati was just sex on wheels) and I got chatting to some of the guys from "Lotus" Renault about what's coming up this season. Not sure if it was the same set up as the Thu/Fri though as they were the trade days whereas Sat/Sun were the public days.

Brundle never mentioned anything about Legard or Coulthard when I saw him being interviews but he did several over the two days so maybe he did but I didn't hear it. Other drivers I saw (weren't neccessarily F1) were Jody Scheckter was interviewed alongside Brundle when I saw them first, Andy Priaulx and Tom Kristensen did a signing together, Allan McNish was there and Jason Plato. A few of the younger drivers were there too from Forumla Renault/Ford/BMW in like a 'who to watch' capacity. I know last year they had Jenson Button but there were no big name F1 drivers this year.

• 3 weeks later...

The new mclaren is very sexy

The new mclaren is very sexy

You're not the first person to say that...but I've been talking with a few people and we really can't see the love for it. It's innovative, but I can't say that I find it appealing to look at. Personally, I think it's the least attractive car of the 2011 bunch (though that sounds a bit weird) and the Mercedes is probably best of the bunch in terms of looks. Of course, if it's quick, it doesn't matter how it looks...

On early form, Renault look like they've stepped it up a gear with this car and they might well be knocking on the door of the Top 3 this season. Red Bull look like the team to beat, but this first test doesn't mean much and we won't know who has the early advantage until the first race.

Looks more like an Indy or Cart car from what I've seen of it. Maybe that is just me

The 'Lotus' Renault Car looks stunning! and I like that Williams have gone back to the Walrus, always liked that design

Formula 1 star Robert Kubica has suffered fractures to his left arm and left leg after a high-speed rally crash in Italy, BBC Sport understands.

The 26-year-old Pole crashed into a church wall and was air-lifted to a hospital near Genoa. His British-based Renault team said the driver was conscious with a statement due later after further medical checks.

It looks unlikely he will be ready for the new Formula 1 season, which starts on 13 March in Bahrain.

Kubica's injuries are not thought to be life-threatening, but following surgery in 2003 after a serious road accident as a passenger that left him with titanium bolts in his arm, there will be doubts about his ability to continue in the sport.

A Renault statement read: "Robert Kubica suffered an accident at high speed this morning while competing in the Ronde di Andora Rally. The driver was airlifted to Pietra Ligure Hospital where he is currently undergoing medical checks. His co-driver [Jakub Gerber] is fine."

They added that another statement would be issued as soon as more information was known about their driver's condition. Reports suggested that Kubica was 4.6km from the start of the Ronde di Andora rally when the crash occurred on Sunday. The former driver for the BMW Sauber team in Formula 1 regularly competes in rallies and was driving a week after testing the new Renault in Valencia ahead of the season's opener in Bahrain.

Kubica was due to lead Renault alongside Russian Vitaly Petrov of Russia, who has a long-term contract to race for the team after signing for the 2011 and 2012 season over the winter. The reserve drivers for 2011 include Bruno Senna - who raced for Hispania last season - and Frenchman Romain Grosjean, who drove for Renault as a replacement for Nelson Piquet Jr in 2009. It is likely that either of these drivers will be called up for the second pre-season test which starts in Jerez on Thursday.

Thoughts go out to him and his family and I really hope he makes a fully and speedy recovery. Amazing that the co-driver was virtually unharmed by the crash too. I'd be amazed if he made it to the first race of the season. Left leg breaks are usually worse for F1 drivers, right? I think Webber broke his right leg in 2008 and that's partially why he was able to get back in the car so quickly since the right leg doesn't absorb as much pressure. Could be a fairly long stint on the sidelines for Kubica.

It's not completely appropriate to start discussion on this, but if I'm correct, Bruno Senna is 3rd Driver and therefore the next in line should something like this have happened. The prospect of the Senna name driving a black and gold Lotus for at least part of the season is an exciting one, though I highly doubt he'll have wanted it to happen under these circumstances.

Archived