F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I was in Turkey at the weekend and thought it was a great race (as it usually tends to be there). There was lots of overtaking right in front of where I was sitting and I met Jerome D'Ambrosio after the race which was cool. Shame about Glock not even starting though.

Trying to decide which race to go to next now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good race today (up until the red flag anyway), don't agree that cars can change tyres during a red flag (kind of spoiled the ending of the race which was getting interesting).

Hamilton's post race comments though are a disgrace, he pretty much took Massa out the race (blaming him as well) then took out the Williams near the end of the race too (hope he gets penalised for that too) but blamed the stewards and made a silly joke about the colour of his skin after the race, has gone right down in my estimations and was aggressive all race (which I have no problem with as it makes races exciting, but today he just seemed to want to knock every car off the track, then has the nerve to blame everyone else when he gets called up on it).

Happy with Vettel winning again, but I do agree that we were robbed of what could have been an absolutely fantastic final few laps between the top three. Button's comments were interesting, in that he felt Alonso was definitely going to have a go, and would have either passed Seb or they would have crashed. I'm surprised he was smiling so much after the race too. He had the pace to win and was just unlucky in his final pit stop to have done it just before the safety car where I thought they'd made a mistake in pre-empting a safety car from the Virgin retirement.

Pretty big crash to bring out the red flags, though I think everyone could see that there was going to be an accident there with 6 or 7 drivers fighting for position and then three coming through to lap them. If that had happened at the chicane, it could have gotten messy, so they're quite lucky in that respect that it happened at the Swimming Pool where they aren't going as fast.

Hamilton is an absolute tit and he showed that today. His comments weren't a "joke" and they weren't funny at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he issues an apology tomorrow once it sets in, and the FIA will probably have something to say to him. Yes, he's been to see the stewards in 5 of the 6 races, but he's been in incidents. Today he drove into Massa from way back and made a wild lunge at a place where you need to be alongside (and it's not an ideal overtaking spot anyway), damaging Massa's car and taking chunks from Webber's car too and then later on made another wild move on Maldonado and cost him some points that both he and Williams sorely needed (and deserved).

I've never really been a fan of Lewis, and today just confirmed why I don't like him. Outbursts when he doesn't get his own way, and he's under the impression that it's always someone else's fault and that he can do no wrong.

Button was robbed, and Vettel is the luckiest man in motorsport. He lucked out with a crash in qualifying and lucked out at the end of the race again.

I guess you need a bit of luck to become World Champion, but he's really pushing it! :p

Vettel was a bit lucky yesterday but don't mind him too much either, guess you make your own luck and he also was unlucky that his pitcrew was unprepared for his pitstop which held him up a good five or six seconds id say.

Still a shame the red flag kind of spoiled the race though, as I mentioned yesterday I can't understand why teams can change tyres or parts of the car whilst on the grid, surely they should keep on the same setup?

Also the safety car is such a varible in races now (even more so nowadays) where it just ruins races and positions, I know it could never happen as its too complex but they should try and find a way where the leaders regain advantage so if the leader is 10 seconds ahead of the driver in 2nd place before the crash then the time remains after the restart, too much to sort out during a race so will never happen but they need to find a way to get around this, you could build up a lead (pretty much as Jenson did yesterday) and have the race ruined by the safety car and come 3rd, wheres the fairness in that?

There isn't a lot of fairness, but sport isn't always fair and you do need a certain amount of luck as well. Similarly, you can have a race made by a safety car and finish much higher than you expect to. Jenson was unlucky at the timing of his final pitstop, but that happens sometimes. Vettel's pitstop had both sides of the luck coin. The mechanics screwed up and put the wrong tyres on his car, but at the same time it also meant that he was able to do something like 50 laps on that set of soft tyres. It would have been absolutely fascinating to see how long he would have been able to keep on those tyres and whether they would have gone off the cliff. A couple of guys in the paddock were saying that they felt Vettel's tyres had maybe two or three laps left in them because they went off completely, at which point he would have been about 2 seconds slower and stood no chance in defending against Alonso and Button.

Regarding why the teams were allowed to change the tyres on the car, the sporting regulations (Article 41.4 if you're interested) state that when the race is suspended, cars can be worked on once they have stopped on the grid but any work must not impede the resumption of the race. So while everyone changed tyres, Hamilton was also able to get his rear wing repaired which allowed him to keep going and score points. Autosport are say that Pirelli are going to push for this rule to be changed, and I imagine they'll get a lot of support from the fans to do this too.

The regulations make for interesting reading, and helps to give a bit more understanding to things. I make a habit of reading through them before the start of each season so I'm up to date with any changes...which might well be rather sad, but I like it. Sporting Regulations

Did anyone watch the Indy 500 last night? I've been starting to watch Indycar this year and it's produced some good races this year, so I thought I'd give Indy a watch. Pretty good race, and a ridiculously dramatic finish. If you've not seen it, get to Youtube and look it up!

Regarding why the teams were allowed to change the tyres on the car, the sporting regulations (Article 41.4 if you're interested) state that when the race is suspended, cars can be worked on once they have stopped on the grid but any work must not impede the resumption of the race. So while everyone changed tyres, Hamilton was also able to get his rear wing repaired which allowed him to keep going and score points.

I understand thats within the rules, just don't agree with it (unless the race is stopped because of bad weather and all the cars need to stick wet tyres on).

Seems silly to me that everyone can change tyres, would have been interesting for the race to just resume as it was before the stop and as you said it would have been interesting to see what would have happened at the end (still think Vettel may have just managed to hold on) although do think that one of the three cars would have probably crashed out taking the chance to overtake. Great race up until that point. Canada up next, usually a another good race.

Agreed Button was Robbed of that Race. Im not a fan of Vettel hes got pure luck on his side, Vettel would of come third if it wasnt for that red flag.

Seems seems alot of BS this year with F1 happy to see Schumacher and Massa taken out cant stand Ferrari or Schumacer. Surely theres something up with that Red bull car, or they are ahead with the times. I can see Lewis trying to leave McLaren hes having nothing but issues of lately and they cant keep up with the Red Bull and lewis is one of the best drivers in F1 bar none its just his car lets him down

Did anyone watch the Indy 500 last night? I've been starting to watch Indycar this year and it's produced some good races this year, so I thought I'd give Indy a watch. Pretty good race, and a ridiculously dramatic finish. If you've not seen it, get to Youtube and look it up!

Repeat is on SS4 now if anyone is interested.

Agreed Button was Robbed of that Race. Im not a fan of Vettel hes got pure luck on his side, Vettel would of come third if it wasnt for that red flag.

Seems seems alot of BS this year with F1 happy to see Schumacher and Massa taken out cant stand Ferrari or Schumacer. Surely theres something up with that Red bull car, or they are ahead with the times. I can see Lewis trying to leave McLaren hes having nothing but issues of lately and they cant keep up with the Red Bull and lewis is one of the best drivers in F1 bar none its just his car lets him down

Red Bull have faced endless amounts of critics over the last 12 months over their cars, whether it's the front wings from last year or other complaints this year. That car has never failed to pass the test from the scrutineers. Over one lap, the car is absolute magic. I'd love to know why, and I'm sure every other team in F1 would love to know because then they could do something about it. It could be something as simple as just being able to extract the most from the Pirelli tyres over a single lap. We've seen that their race pace isn't as quick and Mclaren are a lot closer come Sunday afternoon.

If you say Lewis tries to leave Mclaren, where does he go? Alonso is tied to Ferrari until 2016, and I highly doubt Alonso would want to have Lewis as his teammate again when he's seemingly building Ferrari around him for the foreseeable future. Red Bull have Vettel for a couple of years, and I imagine they'll want to tie him down to a long term contract. They've got drivers for Toro Rosso and in their reserve listings, such as Daniel Ricciardo who they'll probably be using in the future. Mercedes will probably be sticking with German drivers or drivers who they've back through their careers (looking at Paul di Resta here).

I'll be honest, unless Red Bull take a chance and risk Vettel being beaten by Hamilton, he's not really got anywhere to go. To say he's been having issues isn't really right. He's still the only man to beat Vettel in a race this year, and he's had one bad race this past weekend. As a team, they've made a couple of questionable decisions over recent weeks, but you win as a team and you lose as a team.

I tell you something though, I'd love to see a top driver do what Schumacher did in 1996 and go to a team trying to reclaim former glory and take them to the top. Alonso is doing it to an extent, but I'd love to see if it's possible these days.

I'll be honest, unless Red Bull take a chance and risk Vettel being beaten by Hamilton, he's not really got anywhere to go. To say he's been having issues isn't really right. He's still the only man to beat Vettel in a race this year, and he's had one bad race this past weekend. As a team, they've made a couple of questionable decisions over recent weeks, but you win as a team and you lose as a team.

I never Lewis go to Ferrari as you said especially when Alsono is on board. Saying that I can see Massa being sacked soon since his accident last year he hasnt had that spark. Back to the topic in hand I could see him going to Red Bull in the near future, Mark Webber isnt the best driver by putting Lewis in that Red Bull Car instead of Webber Red Bull could really shine, oh well time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived