F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think 4 wins to 3 since joining McLaren is being consistently out raced by a driver. Button was poor second half of last season for sure, but you could counter that with Hamilton's reckless in the first half this year.

Qualification I agree with, Button can't seem to hit the one lap pace and often leaves himself too much to do - he's needs to sort that out if he wants to win another title.

The tyres arguably don't favour Button this year too, Part of his skills was being able to nurse extra laps out of tyres due to his smooth style to give him an advantage. The way the tyres just fall off and how much quicker a fresher set are negates that to a certain extent.

Buttons win on Sunday, whilst phenomenal, wouldn't have happened without it being a stop/start, weather ruined race.

The thing is with these type off what if situations is where do you stop? You could do the same and just switch that round and say without the safety cars, Button was walking Monaco in the previous round.

Absolutely - right now, there's little argument that Button is a better driver than Hamilton.

Why? Because Button is ahead in the standings after 7 races?

Pretty much. That, and the fact he isn't trying to crash into every other driver.

Absolutely - right now, there's little argument that Button is a better driver than Hamilton.

Bollocks. Button is an average driver, always has been always will be. The Canada race, as amazing as it was, was clearly an aberration

Button/Hamilton are like Prost/Senna but without the ego

I am not saying "Lewis is the next Senna~~~" but the attitudes of both examples are the same (cool & calculated or balls out)

what I love about it is they recognise this & therefore don't see it as a bitter feud (like senna/prost)

I work in the industry, by no means anywhere near F1, but have had the pleasure of working with many GP drivers in their junior years & you would be amazed at their down to earthness

Autosport have a story on their website about Jenson Button being on the verge of signing a new and improved contract with Mclaren. He's got an option for next year which he would probably take up anyway, but they're going to offer him better terms and whatnot. This all but squashes the stories of him going to Ferrari to team with Alonso.

Moving on, I was reading up on Kimi Raikkonen on Wikipedia and never really appreciated how quick he actually was. He is 3rd on the list of fastest laps behind Schumacher and Prost. Bearing in mind he spent half his career in uncompetitive cars and also during the Schumacher/Ferrari era. Personally I'd love to see him back and in a competitive car. Replacing Mark Webber ideally.

Why? Because Button is ahead in the standings after 7 races?

Pretty much. That, and the fact he isn't trying to crash into every other driver.

Exactly. Hamilton's the faster driver, but he's not the smarter driver. He's obviously having a mini-career crisis right now, throwing his car into the wrong spaces and generally behaving like a stock car racer.

Button on the other hand is a supreme race-day driver - great with strategy, patient, consistent, good at managing tyres, all that. Plus when he gets in the zone, as Canada proved, he can be REALLY fast.

Put both of them in the fastest car on the track, and Hamilton will probably come out on top. Put them, as they are right now, in a car that's far from being the fastest, and over a season (as we say lasy year) their markedly different styles keep them pretty competitive with each other.

• Paid Members
Moving on, I was reading up on Kimi Raikkonen on Wikipedia and never really appreciated how quick he actually was. He is 3rd on the list of fastest laps behind Schumacher and Prost. Bearing in mind he spent half his career in uncompetitive cars and also during the Schumacher/Ferrari era. Personally I'd love to see him back and in a competitive car. Replacing Mark Webber ideally.

Raikkonen won't come back to F1. He's been there, done that and his heart was never really in it after he won the championship. It was really funny watching his NASCAR debut though, not just for the relay of radio messages (the car was running hot and burning his feet while his water bottle wasn't working so he was effing and blinding at the pit crew) but he didn't actually do that bad. And the car's main sponsor is "Perky Jerky" which is entertainment in itself.

I can't see him ever coming back to F1 because it'll be the same as Schumacher retiring. He's been out of the sport for too long and the cars have developed so much over that time that it'd take ages to get back up to where he was before. I think he should just carry on doing what he wants to do. Although, you never know with him, I could be proved wrong!

Vettel is scary, isn't he? He made it look so easy this weekend, but then you read this little story:

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has labelled championship leader Sebastian Vettel a 'perfectionist' who 'never ceases to surprise' after watching the German cruise to victory in the European Grand Prix. "At one point [in the race in Valencia], we hadn't told him we had put the prime (harder) tyres on Mark's [Webber] car because we didn't want him to push any harder," said Horner. "But then he came on the radio and said: 'What time is Mark doing on the primes?' We all looked at ourselves and thought 'Who told him?' Of course, he was watching the big TV screen as he was going round."

• Paid Members

It was a boring race from start to finish. I really don't like the Valencia circuit. The only thing that made it memorable last year was Webber's accident. It's shit. All the media's now going on about how boring F1 is in general and yet two weeks ago they were praising it for being so exciting! The sport in general isn't boring, there are just boring races - it just depends on the day really as even some of the more interesting circuits can sometimes be boring. However, I think all of the Valencian races have been boring. Even Martin Brundle said in his column today that he still struggles to identify the turns because they all look the same.

It raises the same old argument again though about Tilke designed circuits. I still love Turkey and don't think there's ever been a dull race there. But then you look at Valencia and it's crap, even the drivers don't like it.

And, although I like Vettel and he's my #2 driver in F1, I'm bored of him winning all the time. It's not very interesting when the same driver is winning over and over. I liked it last year when the points were closer and the drivers were really fighting for the title right down to the wire. I don't think anyone else has got a chance this year.

Valencia couldn't produce an interesting race if it rained, they did a reverse grid and the podium positions were decided by a sandcastle building competition on the nearby beach. It's a depressing place as well...there's no colour, no life. It's just a load of concrete walls lining the track. The sport isn't boring, but there are tracks that aren't exciting and this is one of them.

The one interesting factor was the tyres since the drivers were racing in higher temperatures than the high fuel runs on Friday, but with Vettel in ominous form, that was quickly eradicated when it came to potentially changing the result of the race.

That comment from Horner about Vettel having time to watch the big screens and see that Webber was on the prime raises a smile from me, and I really think that if Newey stays at Red Bull for another few years, there's nothing really stopping us from having another era of a completely dominant German. Most of the drivers were basically conceding the title after the race yesterday, but Hamilton's now retracted that statement and said he'll keep fighting. It begs the question, when do we think Vettel will clinch the title?

We'll see how things go at Silverstone with the change on hot blown diffusers. I read something from Red Bull saying that they tried the hot diffuser, but it was melting the car so they use cold, which means that it won't really affect them as much as it could do for Mclaren and Ferrari. I really wouldn't be surprised if Vettel (and hopefully Webber too) are completely dominant in Silverstone.

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14044579.stm

Christian Horner downplays the idea of Hamilton joining Red Bull, but it's the way he does it -

"History dictates that two world-class drivers in the same team has not always been the best pairing," said Horner.

"You only have to think of Senna-Prost, Piquet-Mansell, or even Alonso and Hamilton.

"We are hugely happy to have Sebastian committed to the team long term, and with Mark [Webber], we're very pleased with the job he is doing.

Yeah! Fuck you Webber, love your boss xx

Archived