F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14044579.stm

Christian Horner downplays the idea of Hamilton joining Red Bull, but it's the way he does it -

"History dictates that two world-class drivers in the same team has not always been the best pairing," said Horner.

"You only have to think of Senna-Prost, Piquet-Mansell, or even Alonso and Hamilton.

"We are hugely happy to have Sebastian committed to the team long term, and with Mark [Webber], we're very pleased with the job he is doing.

Yeah! Fuck you Webber, love your boss xx

Not bad for a number two driver. :smug:

Something I find interesting is that its always the number 2 drivers who have problems in F1 (maybe McClaren being the exception). Webber always has problems with the car (Vettel rarely does), Massa is the same, even Schmacher at Ferrari (when they got the car right) had good fortune with the likes of Rubbens or Eddie Irvine having problems with the car or maybe I am looking into things too much?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent race today.

Fuck Hamilton though for trying to off Massa into the last corner, hope he loses the position had enough of his shoddy tactics.

Also Red Bull team orders at the end telling Webber to back off......Horner is another one getting on my tits at the moment as much as they are the quickest car on the track.

Good win for Alonso, good to see him back to his winning ways.

Decent race today.

Fuck Hamilton though for trying to off Massa into the last corner, hope he loses the position had enough of his shoddy tactics.

Also Red Bull team orders at the end telling Webber to back off......Horner is another one getting on my tits at the moment as much as they are the quickest car on the track.

Good win for Alonso, good to see him back to his winning ways.

I disagree on all four points, except that it was a good race, because it was.

• 2 weeks later...

He gets a lot of stick for some of the daft moves he makes but this weekend Lewis has shown what a class act he really is.

I have no idea where he found that pace from

Very good race from Lewis, and quite probably puts Mclaren right back into the hunt. When he's on form, he's devastatingly quick and pulled out some top moves. An interesting race since it was very cold and drivers weren't able to get the undercut with fresh tyres, often actually losing time as they struggled to get up to temperature, even more so with the medium tyres which were predicted to be a second or two slower, and were providing drivers with their fastest laps in that final stint.

Interesting to see that both Red Bull drivers are saying the car needs improving and development to prevent them from slipping (further) behind. On qualifying, they're still the fastest car over a single lap but the race pace isn't there now. As they said, Hungary next week is a track that should suit the Red Bull. They absolutely dominated there last year and I seem to recall them being something stupid like a second quicker than everyone in qualifying. If they struggle there and are beaten, then that's possibly not a good sign for Vettel and Webber for the rest of the year. Saying that, Vettel's lead is still pretty huge and with at least Hamilton and Alonso fighting for wins, with Webber in the hunt too, they could take enough points off each other for him to still win the title.

Yeah, another really good Grand Prix, edge of the seat stuff at times with the top 3 battling it out. Lewis seems to have locked his form in again, and looks the driver who won the World Title a few years ago. Sensational re-overtake of Webber, and his overtake of Alonso was class as well. His speed with the prime tyres at the end was incredible.

This season is all about reversals of fortune, isn't it? Button had a great run of points and a win, then in the last 2 GPs his car has let him down. Hamilton was playing dodgems and drawing criticism, now he's imperious again. And Vettel still needs to prove he can drive in the middle order and overtake.

• Paid Members

According to the Sky Sports "Breaking News" ticker just now, F1 races will all be live on Sky Sports next season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/9550930.stm

The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in high definition.

Races screened by the BBC will be live on the BBC Sport website for UK users.

The BBC will have highlights on TV, online and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

It's not great news for anyone. I've been following it on Twitter and I honestly don't think I've seen more than a handful of positive comments about this. A lot of people don't have Sky Sports and can't afford it, so yes, Bernie will get the extra money for this, but at what cost? I won't be paying for this, simply because I can't. I imagine there are a fair few people in the same situation. I'll wait until the start of the season, but I can't see the viewing figures on Sky being as high as they're getting on BBC at the moment.

I guess I'll just have to further my use of illegal streaming to keep watching F1. Such is life.

Some interesting comments on Twitter though. Jake Humphrey is towing the company line, and he's doing a good job of reminding people that 5 Live are still commentating on all sessions. People are giving him a hard time, but this isn't his decision. Martin Brundle has said that he found out about this last night, but he's out of contract so he'll be looking at his options. Sky need to put some money and effort into this to make it worthwhile, and to do that, they need to have a top team presenting and commentating. If Martin Brundle is out of contract, I'd throw everything I had at him to try and get his voice over races. I don't see why they can't just use the same commentary team if I'm honest. If BBC are so intent on cutting costs, they'll be suggesting that.

Didnt Sky introduce the F1 channel which went down the pan rapidly since people couldnt afford it. It'll just be a case of Deja-Vu where the figures will be amazingly shit on sky sports and they'll drop it from there programming.

Yet being a big fan of F1 I wouldnt pay to watch F1 on sky sports

Man, this is shitty news

Bang goes another sport I can watch

Half the races. You can be damn sure they wont be any of the good ones

So Touring Cars on ITV it is then

Archived